Search for content in message boards

Wooldridge, Middlesex

Wooldridge, Middlesex

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woolridge
I am trying to trace the Arthur W Wooldridge family, born about 1855/56 married Emma Furley about 1876/79. He came from Middlesex, and his occupation was 'stationer'. They had 3 children by 1881 Emma H, Alice E, Arthur B.

Any help would be great.

Iris, South Australia

Re: Wooldridge, Middlesex

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Wooldridge
Arthur Wells Wooldridge married Emma Furley in Q1 1877, Fulham, Greater London, Middlesex, 1a, 328. He was born Q2 1856, Newington, Surrey, 1d, 185.

In 1861 census, there is a Aurther W Wooldridge, from Dalston, Surrey, living with parents Harry (41, publisher) & Emma Francis (38) and siblings Harry E (16), George DB (12), Charles S (11), Lestock B (9), Theophilus Rd (7) & Emma F (6) at 4 Middleton Road, Hackney, Middlesex (Class: RG9; Piece: 161; Folio: 33; Page: 23; GSU roll: 542584)

Hope that helps
Neil

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: Wooldridge, Middlesex
Thanks so much Neil, will follows this through now.

Cheers Iris

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 7:33PM GMT
Dear Iris,
I was looking up Wooldridge and came across your query. I realise it is rather out of date but if you are still trying to find out more about Arthur Wells W and his ancestors then I can help. My mother was a Wooldridge and Arthur would have been her grandfather's brother.
I have become stuck at Arthur's grandfather George Wooldridge, married Sarah Wells in Winchester 1810.Can you help?
Sarah,UK

Wooldridge, Middlesex

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 11:30PM GMT
Hi Sarah,
This information you may already have: George & Sarah married on the 9th September 1810. They were both 21, and he was a butcher. In the 1841 census, he is not shown, and she is a butcher. I hope this information helps.

WOOLDRIDGE, Sarah F 50 1791 Hampshire
WOOLDRIDGE, Richard M 20 1821 Hampshire
WOOLDRIDGE, Harry M 20 1821 Hampshire
WOOLDRIDGE, Sarah F 15 1826 Hampshire
WOOLDRIDGE, Richd M 5 1836 Hampshire
WOOLDRIDGE, Geo M 2 1839 Hampshire
CORDERY, Emma F 25 1816 Hampshire
CORDERY, Frances F 25 1816 Hampshire
FORD, Ann F 30 1811 Hampshire
CAWTE, Thomas M 15 1826 Hampshire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
HO107 Piece:
409 Book/Folio:
2/7 Page:

Registration District:
Winchester & Hursley Sub District:
New Winchester EnumerationDistrict:
Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
St Lawrence Municipal Borough:
Winchester Address:
High Street, St Lawrence, Winchester County:
Hampshire

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 3:18PM GMT
Hi,
Many thanks for replying. I have now visited the Hampshire Record Office in Winchester and unearthed the following info:
Headstone in St Michael's Churchyard, Winchester reads: "George Wooldridge who died 18 March 1821 aged 34 years. Also George Wells Wooldridge son of George and Sarah Wooldridge died 10 Jan 1841 aged 29".
George Wells W is described as a butcher on his Death Cert so I assume that he took over from his father when George Snr died. Sarah then ran the business after George Wells W died.
I assume you know that Sarah was nee Wells, her parents being Charles & Lucy Wells of Winchester. Also buried in St Michael's.
I am still unsure of who George's parents were as I have failed to find his birth in most of the Winchester Parish records though have not quite checked them all. I think he may have been born in Bishopstoke, Hants which have their own website.If so that is a major breakthrough!
I am about to go away for 2 weeks but intend revisting Winchester on my return. If you are still interested then let me know and I'll let you know what else I find.
Thanks again,
Sarah

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 10:12PM GMT

Hi Sarah, You have made a breakthrough, and I would be interested in any other information you get in the future.I have visited England on a number of occasions but never enough time to spend in just pure research.

Enjoy your holiday. Iris

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 6:23PM GMT
Hello Iris,
My grandfather's name was Arthur Frederick Boileau Wooldridge, and his grandparents were Harry Wooldridge and Emma Frances Jones. They had 11 children, 9 boys, 2 girls. I believe Arthur Wells Wooldridge was the father of my grandfather Arthur. He was always known as 'Chippy' as apparently he looked like his father, ' a chip off the old block'.
He (Chippy) also had 2 sisters, but their names were Dora (Dorothea?) and Tuney, which was a nickname but I believe she was Therese.
As Chip was aged 21 in 1900, this would work out well with Arthur Wells birth in 1856. But possibly one of the other brothers was his father. Emma Frances Jones was the daughter of Ellis Jones, a brewer, and Dorothy Boileau.....there is a whole worked out family tree of the Boileaus on the net.
My mother was a Wooldridge, married John Comyns in 11935 or 6. Hope this helps you...? Zena Comyns.

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 6:23PM GMT
Hello Iris,
My grandfather's name was Arthur Frederick Boileau Wooldridge, and his grandparents were Harry Wooldridge and Emma Frances Jones. They had 11 children, 9 boys, 2 girls. I believe Arthur Wells Wooldridge was the father of my grandfather Arthur. He was always known as 'Chippy' as apparently he looked like his father, ' a chip off the old block'.
He (Chippy) also had 2 sisters, but their names were Dora (Dorothea?) and Tuney, which was a nickname but I believe she was Therese.
As Chip was aged 21 in 1900, this would work out well with Arthur Wells birth in 1856. But possibly one of the other brothers was his father. Emma Frances Jones was the daughter of Ellis Jones, a brewer, and Dorothy Boileau.....there is a whole worked out family tree of the Boileaus on the net.
My mother was a Wooldridge, married John Comyns in 11935 or 6. Hope this helps you...? Zena Comyns.

Posted: 20 Jun 2011 1:09PM GMT
Surnames: Wooldridge.

Thank you Zena for your very informative reply, it is much appreciated. Certainly a big family. Do you mind if I add these facts to my family tree.

Kind Regards
Iris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic