Search for content in message boards

Scottsboro

Scottsboro

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 9:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Aug 2011 5:33PM GMT
I have a relative William Scott who was born in Scottsboro, Co. Monaghan in 1786. His wife Cate Pooler was also born around then; they married in Clones in 1808. Does anyone know where Scottsboro is exactly? It could be in Fermanagh (Scottsboro House is in that County) or in Monaghan where Clones is, just over the border. If I know where it is, I can then approach the Parish Church to inspect their records, if they have any.

Re: Scottsboro

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 12:40PM GMT
Scotsborough is a townland in Killaloe parish, Co. Kilkenny.

Re: Scottsboro'

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 5:31PM GMT
Surnames: Scott
Thank you for your time and trouble. Unfortunately, I didn't make it clear that 'Scottsboro' on the birth record was said to be in Co. Monaghan (which it might be, but as I said Scottsboro' House is in Fermanagh). As you say, there might well be a town of 'Scotsborough' in Kilkeeny, but I think given its distance from Ulster it is unlikely to be the same one. My trouble is that every time I put in 'Scottsboro' on Google, I get inundated with stuff about the 'Scottsboro' Trials', in Alabama, which provided the formative background event to the trial in Harper Lee's novel 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 9:39PM GMT
Scottsborough House is located at Magheraveely, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, which is approximately half a mile from ther with the south of Ireland and two miles from. Clones. It was my family home up until June 1999 for approximately over one hundred years. I grew up there.My family, the West family were preceded by the Scott family. I hope this information helps.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 3:01PM GMT
Thank you for your reply which I have only just got around replying to. Sorry about that. I knew where Scottsborough House is (as you say, in Magheraveely), but I did not know until last year from Audrey Toms who owns it now, I believe, that "Scottsborough House" and "Scottsboro" were in fact the same place. So we've cleared that up.

So, would you have papers, documents, etc, or know where I can obtain such info, concerning the Scotts who occupied Scottsborough House in the 19th century, particularly around 1830/1860s? As I've already said, William Scott the ancestor of my wife (a Scott descendant) was the son (probably illegitimate) of Richard Scott (a member of the Scott family of Scottsboro). William left for (or was sent to) Kirkcudbright, Scotland by around 1854, around the time Richard was married to, I believe, a Catherine Green.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 4:09PM GMT
Apologies for delayed reply as I have just returned from a trip abroad. I entered this site initially as I wanted to give you information re Scottsborough as I found your request on an internet search. I am not normally very interested in ancestry. I do not know much about my own ancestors. All I know is that my family has inherited through my fathers line (the Wests) a small library of books some which date back to the mid seventeen hundreds. Some of these books bear the name of West, some bear the names of Scott and West, some bear the name of Scott and some have no names written inside the front cover. I can shed no further light on the family than this.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 5:33PM GMT
Thanks for that, anyway.

Posted: 21 May 2013 12:30PM GMT
Surnames: scott
I have a lot of information on William Scott born 1787 Scottsborough house Co. Fermanagh- second wife Catherine Pooler. I'm trying to find a relative of his son by the first marrige Robert.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 5:16PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Moffat
The William Scott I'm looking at was apparently born 1764 and died in Scottsboro in 1823. I've got all this info from Canadian contact Barb Pillar on bpillar@tru.ca. The only Robert she mentions was William's son (from his first marriage to Elizabeth Rosborough) who died in 1793. He was a Lieutenant in the 59th Foot and was drowned in the wreck of the Sea Horse. Lots of further info online, apparently. As you surmise, I'm interested in Richard Scott who was son of William and Cate Pooler, William's cousin. Richard married Catherine Green in 1854 but we think (but by no means sure) he had a liaison beforehand (with Mary Moffatt) which produced William Scott in 1835 (in Fermanagh) who then married my wife's ancestor Grace Ross in 1855 in Scotland.

Sorry about any delay in sending this stuff. I hope it might be useful.

Iain Pavely

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: scott
my information is also from Barb I am looking for relatives of Robert Scott who died here in Tramore in 1816 along side 300 +other members of the 59th foot. we will be remembering this loss of life in 2016. We already have contact with 4 other relatives of officers who died and a drummer who survived who all hope to come here in 2016. you are most welcome to join us if you wish. Scottsborough house is on the net at the moment as a rental house.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic