Search for content in message boards

CANAVAN/RIBBON, FAHERTY/MULLEN GALWAY

CANAVAN/RIBBON, FAHERTY/MULLEN GALWAY

Liz Canavan-Lovett (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Canavan, Ribbon, Faherty, Mullen

Michael Canavan married Bridget Ribbon 11 Sept 1874 in Ballynakill RC Parish in Galway. Witnesses to wedding were Michael Kean and Mary Connolly. Bridget was born 1855ish to Michael Ribbon and Bridget Welch. I don't have Michael's parents. Family history has Bridget bringing her children to US in 1890s after death of her husband MIchael in Ireland.
Their children included the following...all baptised in Ballynakill Parish..
1. Patrick Canavan, chr 10 Feb 1878, townland Cloonlooan. Sponsors were Michael Conneely and Ellen Joyce. Came to US 1890s. Was naturalized in 1899 in Boston..witnesses were Bartholomew Coyne and John King. Married Anne Faherty (see below) in NYC...witnessess were John J Flanagan and Mary Coyne...
Lived in Lowell MA and West Springfield MA.
2. Elizabeth, chr 12 Sept 1880. Sponsors were Michael Connely and Mary Joyce. May have gone by name of Maria. Maria came to us 1890s, married Thomas Conboy and lived in NYC. (Maria still alive in NY in 1951.
3. Mary, chr 25 Feb 1883. Townland Cashleen. Sponsors were Edward Flaherty and Anne Kain. Came to US, married James McQuaid and settled in Boston.

Faherty side...
John Faherty married Margaret Mullen on 23 Oct 1866 at Ballynakill Parish in Co Galway. John was a farmer from Derrylough, age 28 and Margaret was a farmer from Letterfrack age 23. John's father was Martin Faherty and Margaret's father was Michael Mullen. Witnesses at the wedding were John Mullen and Margaret Faherty along with a Joseph McGuinness. John and Margaret were still alive and living in Derryinver at time of 1911 census. Believe they died shortly after that time.
Children included:
1. Honor, chr 23 April 1871, sponsors JOhn Coyne and Anne Walsh, townland Derrylough
2. Charles, chr 27 Apr 1879, townland Derrylough, sponsors John Mullin and Mary Mullin
3. Julia, chr 12 June 1881, townland Derrylough, sponsors Martin Faherty and Mrs. Heany
4. Anne, chr 30 Dec 1877, townland Derrlough, sponsors, John Mullin and Mary Mullin....Anne is my grandmother
5. Patrick chr 19th Mar 1875, townland not noted, sponsors Martin Faherty and Mary Faherty
6. Bridget , chr 12 Jan 1873 townland not noted, sponsors Patrick Nee and Mary Mullen
7. Peter born 10 May 1884 townland Derryinver
8. Mary b 20 Sept 1867, townland Rusheendiff

Several of l Anne's sisters married into the Connolly/ Connelly family.

Any Connections???

Farty

Anne M. Adams (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BRANNELLY, CONCANNON, CONROY, DEMPSEY, DOLAN, DOLLY, MANNION, MANNING, MEEHAN, MULLIN, RUANE
I think your Mary Farty was probably Mary Faherty.

I found two Fahertys in Griffith's Index CD for Annaghdown.

Do you have any info on MULLEN?

Farty

Marian Dunn (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Farty, Canavan, Walsh, Faherty, Flaherty, Carr
I don't know where Ballynakill is, but I'm researching the Carrs at Knockbluff, Annaghdown, Co.Galway.
Just now I'm working on the Farty line. We have the following surnames in common.
Mary Farty married James Carr in 1838. As they married in Annaghdown, she presumably lived there.
Children:
Thomas's godparents were John Farty and Honor (Walsh) Carre.
Mary's godparents were Michael Carre and Margaret Canavan.

John (brother of James?) married Honor Walsh (1838?).
Son: Patrick. Two grandduaghters:
Bridget's godfather was John Faherty (1866).
Mary's godparents were Michael and Bridget Faherty (1858).

Bridget's daughter, Mary Anne, married Michael Flaherty in 1930.

All of Knockbluff.

Re: CANAVAN/RIBBON, FAHERTY/MULLEN GALWAY

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 9:38PM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2003 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Mullin, McGinn, Durning
The John & Mary Mullin that sponsored two of the Faherty children may be my ggggrandparents. I'm looking for a connection to a John Mullin that married Mary McMinn. One of their daughters, Mary Margaret Mullin, migrated to US in 1903 from Milltown, County Galway. She was born May 22, 1883.

Posted: 22 Apr 2003 5:29PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2003 9:08PM GMT
A belated reply, but I have same townlands - Cloonlooan, Derryinver, etc - and mostly the same surnames. Will forward you some extensive info on names including Ribbon and Mullen (and others) if you want it.

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: Canavan, Ribbon, Faherty, Mullen
I would love any info you could share on my Canavan/Ribbon, Faherty/Mullen! Many thanks! Liz

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 4:05PM GMT
I don't have time to reply due to xmas present wrapping! But if you want to look on your own at what I have, try googling "Heanue ancestry letter" (with the quotes) or puttign that into any search engine. It's a two-part letter written in 1964 by my grandfather's -- even then, ancient -- cousin, Bridget Heanue Coyne of Ardnagreevagh, near Renvyle in far western oceanside Galway. She was Renvyle's unofficial genealogist. I have met several other people online whose relatives contacted her and received massive letters containing their ancestry. Without her efforts, and obviously formidable memory, so much personal history for my family would be gone forever.

You will find many of your surnames within. The only problem is, I don't have anything else that could help you tie you line into what I have. Maybe you can make a later connection (she indicates where some of the lines ended up in the states, Boston, Ct., etc.).

Were you the one who posted a query about Ballynakill? Hre's the 1840s description ...
BALLYNAKILL, a parish, in the barony of BALLYNAHINCH, county of GALWAY; and province of CONNAUGHT,4 miles (N.) from Clifden; containing 7183 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the bay of the same name on the western coast, and comprehends within its limits Claggin bay, and one side of Killery harbour, with the islands of Ilane-a-green or Crump, Innisbruin, Bradilan, and Freachillan; it comprises 5142 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.

The male inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, and occasionally in the herring fishery ; and the females in spinning woollen yarn and knitting stockings. During the famine that prevailed on this part of the coast in 1831, the inhabitants of this parish were reduced to the greatest distress, and 1500 families must have perished but for the prompt relief afforded. At Derry-Inver, within the bay of Ballynakill, a small pier has been erected by Government, which has proved very useful for trade and the fisheries, and has contributed much to the improvement of the surrounding district. The entrance to Claggin bay is easy, the ground clean and good, and the shelter tolerable, with depth of water sufficient for any ship. On the south side the Board of Fisheries has constructed a small pier opposite to the anchorage ground, which has been found to be very beneficial.

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: Faherty Connolly
Hi my ggrandmother was mary Faherty born in Galway in 1842 daughter of Peter Faherty and Mary Gavin. ggranma migrated to Australia when she was 16, and married Christopher Connolly in 1863 He was also from Galway. I would appreciate any information I can get Please and will share any information I have thank's Kevinstevens8@bigpond.com

Posted: 9 Dec 2007 7:13PM GMT
Laura,

Googling "Heanue ancestry letter" only brings one back to this string of posts on ancestry.com. Would it be possible for you to e-mail a copy of it please (to kitzkamp@pacbell.net)??

Posted: 10 Dec 2007 2:58AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic