Search for content in message boards

Doolittle House

Doolittle House

Posted: 8 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Doolittle, Wetmore, Gould, Porter, Munson
I am looking for information on Sylvester Doolittle & his wife Catherine Mary Gould. He was born in Smithfield,Madison,NY in 1799 and was the son of Major Joel Doolittle and Amelia Wetmore. He died in Oswego,NY on Oct. 11,1880. He built and ran Doolittle House in Oswego,NY,developed the Deep Rock Mineral Springs, built boats for the Erie Canal and amassed a fortune.He married Catherine Mary Gould daughter of Samuel A. Gould in 1828 in Utica,NY, Oneida county.
I found an obituary for Sylvester but would like to find one for his wife Catherine Mary Gould Doolittle who died around 1877 in Oswego,NY. I am also trying to find out where they were buried. If he and his wife owned the Doolittle House surely there are pictures of them somewhere in the prominent citizens of Oswego. Does anyone out there know where I might find anything on the Doolittle House & it's owners? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doolittle House/Photos of Catherine Gould Doolittle

Posted: 22 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DOOLITTLE, GOULD, PORTER, MUNSON, LAIRE, LARE, LACOCK, WETHERBEE, WILLARD
Thanks for the reply and taking the time to look at Riverside Cemetery for my ancestors. I do have that information & the photo of Sylvester and also one of Benjamin Doolittle too. A wonderful lady from Headstonehunters.com took pictures of the monuments and other Doolittle graves nearby and mailed them to me. The cemetery really doesn't have much info other than dates of death, birth and relationships.What I would like to find is some photos of Catherine Mary Gould Doolittle and their adopted son. You would think that a prominent couple like the Doolittles would have had their photograph taken.I am sure women did have their photos done then too. Was there any newspapers that would have photos in them? Like if there was a ball hosted at Doolittle House by the Doolittles? Any help would be appreciated.

Doolittle House

Posted: 22 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 1:37PM GMT
Surnames: Doolittle
Hi Ruth!
Yes Sylvester Doolittle did run the Doolittle Hotel here in Oswego. You can find a picture of the hotel and a photo of Sylvester Doolittle in the book "Oswego County Landmarks". They have it at the city library. The hotel is located on West First St. between Oneida and Mohawk Sts. It had been sold and renamed the Pontiac Hotel, after Chief Pontiac. Today it's used for seinor citizen housing.
Sylvester Doolittle and his family are buried in Riverside Cemetery. I was at the cemetery yesterday and while looking for my fmily I saw the monument for him and his family. It's quite impressive. I'm sure if you call the cemetery they can help you.
Good Luck!
Lee

Oswego City Library

Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Oswego
Hi!
The name of the library is the "Oswego City Library", 120 East 2nd Street, Oswego, New York 13126. Phone-315-341-5867. If this doesn't work for you try the Oswego Historical Society, 135 East 3rd. Street, Oswego, New York 1326. Phone:
315-343-1342 or the Oswego County Records Office, Rt. 481 East River Road, Oswego, New York 13126. I can't find the number for this office but I'm sure the operator can help you.
Try the Historical Society first, they seem to have more records.
Good Luck!
Lee
Lee

Newspapers

Surnames: GOULD, DOOLITTLE, PORTER, MUNSON, WETHERBEE, WILLARD
Thanks for the reply. What is the name of the library I should call. Is it just The Oswego Library? I am not familiar with Oswego County or New York for that matter.
Is there a kind soul out there who could give me the name & address & phone number to call? Thanks in advance.

Newspapers

Surnames: Palladium Times
Hi!
Yes there were newspapers here at that time. The Palladium-Times. The Oswego City Library has most of them on microfim. There was Oswego Daily Express. I remember my mother telling me at one time there was the Oswego Palladium and the Times. These two papers merged into one. I don't know when the Express went out of business. The Palladium-Times is still our local paper.
I'm sure if you were to call the library they may look up the info for you.
Lee

family search

Posted: 14 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Gadwood, Gadwood, Gadwood

Gadwood family lived in Oswego County. Worked on O & W RR and in postal area. Desparately need any info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic