John key

John key

Melinda Chattin (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2000 8:39PM GMT
Any information on John Key born Amherst Va 1790married to Belinda Milstead

Hey cousin! Sorry, this is long.

Posted: 3 Aug 2000 4:12PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2004 11:24PM GMT
John Key was my great, great, great grandfather. There is a book in the Jasper Library on the History of Walker Co. Someone did a LOT of research on this. Here goes, if it will take it all.

Key, John, born in Amherst County, Virginia, in 1765, was one of Walker County's earliest settlers. (Alabama) He lived in Amherst County until 1797 or later, and then moved to North Carolina, from which state he came to Alabama. Some believe that he reached Walker County not later than 1816, but the first authentic record is a government land entry made in Section 10, Township 15, Range 8, on December 25, 1824. This entry was on Lost Creek, north of Oakman. He was one of the pioneers of the Methodist Church in Walker County, and the earliest record of that church in the county is a report of a quarterly conference held at his home on Lost Creek on June 14, 1833. Mr. Key spent his entire life on the farm. He died in 1861, at the age of ninety-six, and is buried near Sipsey. On July 15, 1797, he was married in Amherst County, to Belinda Milstead. They were the parents of eleven children- - -
William S. Washington Key, who was born in Virginia about 1802, and came to Walker County with his parents, where he was reared. He was a farmer all of his life, and died near Manchester about 1904. He was married to Cynthia Aseneth Abbott. Children--- James Key; John Key; William Key, who moved to Cherokee County, Texas; Belinda Key; Nancy Key; Howell Key; and Elizabeth Key, who married W. W. Snow.
John Martin Key, who was born about 1805, and was brought to Walker County with his parents. He devoted his entire life to farming, and died at the old home place near Coal Valley in 1854. He is buried in the old Davis Graveyard at Coal Valley. He was married twice: first to Mary Snow, who died, and later, in 1841, to Lucy Allen Woods, who was born in Walker County February 23, 1827, the daughter of Samuel Woods. Children by first marriage - - Thomas Key, who married, first a Kilgore, second, a Logan, third, a Burton; Mary Polly Key, who married first a Kilgore, and second, her cousin, William Key, the son of Washington Key; John Key, who married, first, Charity Elizabeth Wood, and second, a widow, Mrs. Fannie (Clements) Ferguson. Children by the second marriage - Samuel Key, who married, first, a Courington, and second, a Bevill; Rice Key, who never married, and died during the Civil War; Lucy Key, who married Jasper Voyles in 1865; Bertha Key, who married a Voyles; Linda Key who married a Voyles; Zilphia Key, who married Hugh Lollar; and Nancy J. Key, who married a Hamilton.
Joesph Garland Key, who was brought to Walker County by his parents, where he was married to Rachel Cole, daughter of Byrd Garland Cole. Children - - Sarah Belinda Key, who married Clayton White; John Byrd Key, who married a Williams; William Key, who died young; Jodie Key, who married a Garner; Buck Key, who married a Jones; Liza Jane Key, who never married; and Nancy Key, who married Joseph Weembs.
Dock Clifton Key, who was born in Walker County about 1825. He was a farmer until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he enlisted in Company L, Twenty-eighth Alabama Infantry, under Captain Musgrove, and died in Tennessee in 1865, while still in the service. About 1845 he was married to Nacy Louise Cole, who was born in Walker County in 1828, a daughter of Byrd Cole. She died in 1908 and is buried in the Zion Graveyard at Parrish. Children - - John Clifton Key, who married Julia Key; Byrd Garland Key, who married Polly Garner; Joseph Martin Key, who married Polka Williams; ( this is where I have conflicting references. this is my great grand parents and I have always heard, and it is written in the family bible as Joseph Milstered Key and hers is Pokie Jane Williams) Nicholas Rice Key, who married Frankie Bailey; James Buchanan Key, who married Samanthia Williams; Robert Key, who married Eaddie Jones; William Key, who married Mary Key; and Nancy Key, who never married.
Charles Rice Key, who married Dorcia Cole, and then moved to Cullman County.
Lindsay Key, who was married to Rebbecca Winters.
Nancy Key, who was married to Richard Chilton.
Elizabeth Key, who was married to William Busby.
James Hezekiah Key, who was married to Elizabeth Herring.
Jane Mills Key, who was married to Hill Abbott. (Here I have a conflict too. I thought that it was Hile Abbott. I have a story told by one of Dock Clifton Key's grand children that is really a treasure in it self!) email me if you are interested in any more. I have this line on John and Belinda going way back. Hope that is wasn't too long for you.

Walker Co

melinda franklin chattin (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2000 11:48AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. This verifies my information.I also have found the Key descendants that came to America from oxfordshire England. John Key born 1670 died 1740 kent Co. VA Father Thomas.
our John's F. was Martin Key married to Nancy Pollard.
His F is Martin Key married to Nancy Bibb. His F John Key married Martha Tandy about 1712. Marthas F Nappa tandy and Mother was Priscilla Watson.
Glad to meet you

John and Belinda Milstead Key - Walker Co.

Posted: 4 Sep 2000 1:12PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2002 1:51AM GMT
To Anita Jent
I would like to have your email address. My name is Kenneth Key, born and raised in Walker Co., AL. I am a member of the Walker County Genealogy Society. I would like to swap information. Kenneth Key kenkey99@earthlink.net

Key family in Walker Co.

Becky (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2000 7:14AM GMT
I'm also trying to find out about the Key family in Walker Co. So far i have not come across anything. The only thing i know is that my great grandfather was Charlie Lee Key. I think he was from around the Walker/Winston Co. area. I know he married Stellar Baret or Barret. I do not know the birthday, but he passed away June 1, 1975. If any of this sounds familiar to you please email me at hlamose@aol.com

To all Keys of John and Belinda

Posted: 15 Sep 2000 7:06PM GMT
I have just located James Hiel Abbott's and Jane Mills Key's graves. They are in Cullman County, Ala., kind of behind the infamous "Bug Tussle Steak House" in Antioch cemetery. I have ran into so many people who believe that his name was spelled Hill Abbott and that one of his son's name was also spelled Hill Copeland Abbott. Just wanted to let everyone know that it is Hiel. If anyone needs any more help, just contact me at sjent@sonet.net
Posted: 15 Sep 2000 7:10PM GMT
You probably need to get in touch with Kenneth Key. He has a collection of LOTS of names going in both directions. E-mail me at sjent@sonet.net and I will check with him and see if he minds. Good Luck!

Rice Key

Rev.Dennis Key (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2000 7:00PM GMT
I seen your message you posted about key family history it said Rice Key never married if it is the same Rice Key He is my G.G.Grandfather and was married to Sarah Bullin Had several Children and also died During the Civil War 1862 and is buried in S.C. military Cemt.
if we can share info Please Reply to this or email me Thanks and God Bless

Rice Key

Posted: 13 Oct 2000 3:07PM GMT
This information was gotten out of the Key and Allied Families Book. I have found several things to have been wrong in that book. Most of it dealing with the James Hiel Abbott that married Jane Mills Key. I am related on both sides. Through my mother, I am related to Jane Mills Key. Through my father, I am related to Dock Clifton Key. I think that you just joined one of the "Key" groups that belongs to Danny Key or Philip Shipp. If you did, my email address is on it. If not, it is sjent@sonet.net. I would love to swap information with you, but I must warn you - - - - - I am as slow as molasses if not slower. I have two kids that keep me pretty busy. Send me your email address and I will send you what I have. Bear in mind, that I have been meaning to do this for Danny Key for about 3 weeks now. I have not forgotten him, just haven't had a WHOLE LOT of Time. It seems to take a while to do that. But, I WILL AND SHALL DO THIS SOONER OR LATER!!!!!! Email me soon and God bless you too! :-)
Anita

Key family of Walker Co. Ala

Posted: 12 Nov 2000 5:17PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2002 2:16AM GMT
I found a large loose leaf notebook about the Key family at the Regional Library in Jasper Ala. I do not remember seeing the name you are seeking, but there are lots of them....probably hundreds...Good luck. email: SCollinsFoster@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions