Search for content in message boards

Plantagenet genealogy (Edward I)

Plantagenet genealogy (Edward I)

Posted: 16 May 2011 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I'd like a recommendation for best book with genealogy/history of this royal family. Thanks all!

Re: Plantagenet genealogy (Edward I)

Posted: 16 May 2011 6:00PM GMT
Were it only that easy… You asked a really tough question. Although your heading says Edward I, it seems you are asking about the history and genealogy of the royal family he was a key member of. Also, regarding History and genealogy, while they do overlap are really two distinct disciplines.

There are excellent books on the entire Plantagenet or Angevin dynasty which concentrate primarily on the successive kings themselves, then there are books covering parts of the family focusing on, for example, the three Edwards (I, II, and III). Finally there are books on individual kings like Edward I. OK, for the Plantagenet dynasty you might want to start with one like, “The Chronicles of the Age of Chivalry,” edited by Elizabeth Hallam, CLB, 1998. It’s a good, well-written approach to the dynasty based on translations of early chronicles and manuscripts, and it has an excellent bibliography to follow up on. For Edward I you should read Marc Morris, “A Great and Terrible King; Edward I and the Forging of Britain,” Hutchinson, 2008. This is an authoritative and particularly well-balanced approach to Edward and helps dispel some of the misconceptions created by other writers and especially modern filmmakers. Edward I ‘Longshanks’ has been painted as an evil vindictive tyrant but in truth he was a very well-respected king who some call the ideal monarch for his time. As with all books of this type, use the bibliography to find more works on this subject.

As for the genealogy, again you’ll need to consult a number of references. There are a considerable number of books on the Plantagenets but you need to be careful; while many are quality works not all of them are. Each rests on its own merits, the quality of its research, and the quality of its sources. You need to evaluate each; or obtain help in evaluating them until you learn how to do this yourself. Some books cover the dynasty while others follow lines of descent from Edward I to colonial Americans. An example of the later would be David Faris, “Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-Century Colonists, Second Edition, NEHGS, 1999. I realize there is a newer version, which I’m familiar with, but I’d recommend David Faris’s work to start out with. Also see Frederick Lewis Weis, “Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists,” Seventh Edition, GPC, 1992. Again, it too has a newer edition by a different author, the Eighth Edition, but in this particular case the seventh edition is easier to find in libraries. A more difficult work to find but which concentrates more on their ancestry is by George Andrews Moriarty, ”The Plantagenet Ancestry of King Edward III and Queen Philippa,” MPGS, 1985. It’s handwritten, in table format, and we could wish for better source citations, but it’s essentially accurate. Also Moriarty was a leading authority on this family. I realize I’ve left out far more works than I’ve included but see if this doesn’t get you started.
Jay

Posted: 17 May 2011 4:42AM GMT
Thank you so much! This ought to keep me busy for a while. It has been difficult knowing which sources can be trusted, I'm not sure I trust the books that led me from my known family into the royal line back to Edward I. Maybe some that you suggested will include what I am looking for. Thanks.

Posted: 17 May 2011 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Plantagenet
If it was a tough question you gave a really good answer. I am also trying to find connections to the Plantagenets. I called and none of these are on the shelf at my local library. How do I find them? Thanks

Posted: 17 May 2011 7:45PM GMT
If you're looking to check out these books from your library (wherever that is) and they don't have them, there are a couple of ways you can locate books. In most cases you can request the book at your local library through the ILL (Interlibrary Loan System). Most US as well as UK libraries have such a system and the book is located and sent to your library for you to check out. In my system here there is a fee of $3 per book and you're allowed to check a book out for three weeks.

Most of us are closer to or belong to one library but usually find there are several libraries within a reasonable distance. So first I would look at WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/ Once at WorldCat enter the title of the book (I checked already and all the books I mentioned are listed on WorldCat). Then, click on the list title and it shows you libraries in your area that hold this book.

You also probably have a Family History Center near you. Their libraries vary tremendously between one branch and the next, but if a book is available on microfilm (they have readers in each center) you can order it and read it in their library (most are able to copy pages for you). Go to: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhc/frameset_fhc.asp and enter your location information to find one or more near you.

Still another way to obtain one or more of these books is to find and buy used copies. Bookfinder.com can locate these books from thousands of booksellers and often they're fairly cheap (depending on demand and condition). They list both new and used copies. I just ran "Frederick Lewis Weis" as the author and "Ancestral Roots" as the title and got numerous hits. The best price I found on a used copy was $10.74 (US). Elizabeth Hallam's "Chronicles of the Age of Chivalry, is also a bargain. Best price I found is $3.95 (the seller says minimal damage to cover and binding). Unfortunately, two of the books I mentioned are rarer and/or have higher demand running the price up. Moriarty's "Plantagenet Ancestry," and Faris' Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-Century Colonists" are both pricey (over $100 when I checked). So all told there are several ways in which to get access to these books. I hope this helps. Jay

Posted: 17 May 2011 8:40PM GMT
Thanks again! I live near Chicago, where we have the Newberry Library--great place with about every history and genealogy book known to man, unfortunately, you have to read them there. There are other major research libraries throughout the US, possibly through a local university.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions