Search for content in message boards

"Bride Ships"? to Australia. Researching Catherine GORMAN

"Bride Ships"? to Australia. Researching Catherine GORMAN

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 11:05AM GMT
Hello from Australia,
This is the first time I have posted to this list so forgive any indiscretions.
My gg Grandmother was Catherine GORMAN born in ???Turiff, (I presume that could be her pronunciation of Scariff) County Clare in 1831. That information was obtained from an obituary in the local paper in Wedderburn, Victoria, Australia when she died in 1914. Catherine had come to Australia in 1852 and proceeded to the Goldfields where she met my gg.Grandfather, Joseph HARWOOD, a Yorkshire man and they became the first couple to be married on the Wedderburn Goldfields.
I am wondering whether she could come as a single woman to "even up" the population of mainly men at the time. The term "bride ship" springs to mind.

I am well aware of the circumstances which drove these young women to go to the other end of the world in search of a new life.

Hoping somebody can help solve the puzzle and point me in the right direction to search.

TIA
Elizabeth (Betty) Andrews
Victoria, Australia

Re: "Bride Ships"? to Australia. Researching Catherine GORMAN

Eilís O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2006 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Betty,

There was a book published in Australia in 1992 called "The Bride Ships's: Experiences of Immigrants Arriving in Western Australia 1849-1889." You should be able to find a copy in your local library or through interlibrary loan.

There'd probably be more information about it in Australia since it's part of Australian history than in Ireland. I haven't as yet come across any relevant information here.

Maybe your local library reference librarian could be of some help about searching for information about it in Australian historical records.

Regards.

Eilís O'Hara
Ireland

Betty Andrews (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2006 7:55AM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply Ellis. I most certainly will go to my local library to see if they can get a copy for me to see.
Once again, thank you for your reply.
Betty Andrews
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia.

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 5:09AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jun 2006 9:17AM GMT

Betty Andrews (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2006 6:14AM GMT
Thank you Colleen,
I am heading off to the library on Tuesday to see if I can get hold of a copy.
Betty

Eilís O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2006 1:42PM GMT
Hello Betty,

The book itself may contain a bibliography with other information sources for you to read.

You may also want to consider contacting historical societies where Catherine Gorman lived in Australia, or even in regions, because there may be more research information available on the topic.

Regards.

Eilís O'Hara
Ireland

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 9:16AM GMT
Surnames: Leech
Hi Betty,

We have been in touch before - Your g gfather Thomas Leech and your gfather William Henry are in my family tree. My Dad, Arthur Leech wrote to you & you also wrote to my brother Martin in 1992 about "Leechfield". I have been trying to contact you for a long time but didn't have your current email address - and hope that I still can. I've been researching the family in England and have a lot of information and also here, but would love to know much more. We are living in NSW.

Warm Regards,

Sally Russell nee Leech

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 11:00AM GMT
Surnames: Leech/Gorman
Hello Sally,
My email address is e.andrews@bigpond.com Would really like to contact you too, thank you!

Betty Andrews

Posted: 31 May 2014 10:40AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions