Search for content in message boards

CLARK puzzle

CLARK puzzle

Posted: 3 Sep 2004 2:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: clark pomeroy
In the Methodist newspaper, the Christian Guardian Feb 7 1855 there is a marriage announcement "McOz Clark to Jane Pomeroy " on Jan 31 1855 by Rev Charles Fish, both of Newburgh. I want to know who this couple was. Charles Fish was the Weslayan Methodist minister for a few years around 1855-1857 in Newburgh. I've written about this before but I'm trying again.

I research the descendants of Dan Pomeroy and Patience Perry who were early settlers in Lennox and Addington County. These are the only Pomeroy's I have come across in this county. I don't know who this Jane was. The only Jane in the family was the wife of John F. Clute from Ernestown who is supposed to have died in 1855 in Bath according to family stories. There was a son Ebenezer Pomeroy (b abt 1800) but I don't know if he made it to adulthood to have children. It doesn't help that part of the 1851 census for Camden is missing or that the district marriage records for this time period are missing. The closest other Pomeroy families I know of were in Cramahe Northumberland and in Prescott, Leeds. It is not a common name.

On the Clark side, I can't find a McOz and am wondering if this was some kind of transcription error. Thinking in terms of what sounds similar or looks similar in the Clark families in the area, there was a Marcus McCoy Clark, grandson of Matthew CLARK and Anna MCCOY of Ernestown, and son of Robert McCoy Clark and Elizabeth STOVER. According to Russ Waller's book, Marcus did marry in 1857 to Matilda Ann Clark. I have found them in 1861 census in Sheffield. He is listed as a school teacher then and a carpenter in 1871 back in Camden.. I'd really like to find marriage records for 1855-1857.

Is anyone researching this Marcus CLARK family or can anyone suggest some other avenues to research? I need some ideas for research.

Joanna Waugh
Hamilton, Ontario

Re: CLARK puzzle

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 2:44PM GMT
I am from the (Matthew) Clark (1771-1848) m. Ann McCoy (1772-1857) family of Ernestown Twp., Lennox & Addington Co, Ontario, Canada. My grandmother was born in Napanee, Lenox & Addington Co., Ontario, Canada.

The name McCoy is also spelled McCay & McKay.

Source:
Loyalist Clarks, Badgleys, and Allied Families
Appendix I -- McCoy -McCay - McKay
If John Collins Clark was correct, his sister-in-law, Ann (McCoy) Clark, was born in Lower Canada Feb. 12, 1772. In this case it is probably that Ann's father came over in the British army, for there were very few British people living in Canada at that time, particularly west of Montreal. Possibly he was one of the McCoys who belonged to the clan of Sutherland - those who lived in Sutherland, Scotland, and paid feudal homage to the Duke of Sutherland, for whom the clan is named, and with whom some of the McCoys intermarried....

This is all I have on Ann McCoy who m.

Matthew Clark

[Clark, Minerva.FTW]
[Brøderbund WFT Vol. 1, Ed. 1, Tree #1006, Date of Import: Dec 16, 2000]
!BOOK:Loyalist Clarks-Badgley and Allied Families by Estella Clark WatsonPages 161 to 165
History of the County of Lennox and Addington (pg 367)
Legislative Assembly - After the expulsion of Barnabas Bidwell from the House in 1822, it can be readily be conceived that the free and independent electors of L & A were not in very good humour over the action of the government in defeating their will by unseating the candidate whom they had chosen to represent them in parliament. Matthew Clark, a farmer residing in the front of Ernesttown east of Millhaven, was next chosen as the standard-bearer of the Reform party. He was a U.E. Loyalist himself, and son of Robert Clark who built the first gristmilli n Napanee. HE was duly elected; but the same forces that deprived Bidwell of his seat took action against Clark, he in turn was unseated upon a technicality, and another appeal to the electors was necessary. During his short career in the House he was too busy defending himself to acquire a reputation as a parliamentarian.
http://www.qschooner.com/hclaxximc.html

Source: Clint S. Clark http://www.artdsm.com/clark/database/2048.htm
Colonel Matthew Clark Sr
* Born: 3 Oct 1771, Quaker Hill, Dutchess County, NY
* Married: 28 Feb 1792, Ernestown Twp, Lennox & Addington Co,Ontario, Canada (Upper)
* Died: 8 Jun 1848, Ernestown Twp, Lennox & Addington Co, Ontario,Canada (Upper)
Events:
1. Loyalists in Ernest Town; 1796; Ernestown Twp, Lennox & Addington Co,Ontario, Canada (Upper). 1 Loyalists in Ernest Town: Robert Clark,Christopher Lake, Bostain Hogle, James Hogle, David Hartman, PhilipHartman, Jacob Hartman, Ludovick (Ludwick) Hartman, Henry Clark, MatthewClark, Samuel Welch, John Lake Sr., John Lake Jr., Nicholas Lake, FrancisHogle.
Marriage Information: Matthew married Anna McKay on 28 Feb 1792 in Ernestown Twp, Lennox & Addington Co, Ontario, Canada (Upper).

Cemeteries of Ontario
http://www.geocities.com/lucyont/Cemetery3.html
142. Matthew CLARK 1797-1873/his wife Lucinda LOCKWOOD 1809-1865/his brother McCoy CLARK 1800-1893
143. Lucinda wife of Matthew CLARK died July 27 1865 aged 56 yrs.

Posted: 17 Jul 2006 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: Clark Shurtleff McCoy Hamm
I am tracing the family of Angeline Miles Shurtleff Clark (1828-1909) of Ernestown, wife of Peter Hamm Clark. I was struck by the similarity of names to those in your posting, especially that one of their children is Peter McCoy Clark; another is named Lucinda. Does Peter Hamm Clark (b. abt. 1820 and married in Ernestown in 1843 to Angeline) fit into any of the Clarks you are researching? Thanks!

Re: Peter Ham Clark and family

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 12:57AM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2006 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, McCoy, Shurtleff
Melinda- how many children did Peter Ham Clark have? Do you have all their dates of birth, marriages, death, etc.? I only have names of six children for him and Angeline, but one giant gap of 15 years between son Peter McCoy Clark and daughter Laura, so there must be children in between- think you mentioned a Lucinda?

Would also like to know more about Angeline's family of origin, parents and siblings? Name of her mother Gratia Daniels?, father Samuel Shurtleff?

Peter Ham Clark was married first to Charlotte Ann or Margaret Ann Simmons- JCC diaries has Miss Margaret Ann.

As far as I know, Peter was the son of Samuel Clark 1794-1866 and Abigail Lockwood born 1796, died after 1871, does anyone have her dod? Samuel Clark was the son of Matthew Clark 1771-1848 and Ann McCoy 1772-1857. Abigail Lockwood was the daughter of David Lockwood 1770-1821 and Hannah Fraser 1775-1862.

Nora

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 1:25AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Shurtleff
Here are the children I have for him and Angeline:

1. Gratia Abigail Clark was born in 1846 and died on 28 Dec 1884 in Sarnia, Lambton Co., ON.

2. Orlando Spaulding Clark was born on 17 Aug 1848 and died on 14 May 1943 in Point Edward, Ontario.

3. Lucinda Augusta Clark .

4. Nettie Clark was born about 1856 in ON and died in Aug 1926 in Unknown.

5. Angeline Esther Clark .

6. Peter Mccoy Clark .

7. Minnie Clark .

8. Laura Augusta Clark was born about 1868 in ON.

The names come from the Shurtleff genealogy by Roy Shurtleff. The dates are from other sources, one being a web page citing a Clark genealogy by Estelle Clark Watson. I can e-mail you with complete references if you want.

Joanna Waugh (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2006 2:26AM GMT
Hi Nora,
What's your proof for Peter's parents being Samuel and Abigail? Do you have the marriage record from 1845?
Joanna

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 2:51AM GMT
Here's 3 bits of info:
Abigail's death registration says she died 8 Jan 1876 in Newburgh and she was widow of late S. Clark.

Peter Clark's family in the 1851 census shows a daughter elizabeth age 2. You can see the image on collections canada site under Camden p109. If you look at the agricultural census there also you will see he is on the same lot as Samuel.

Reid's marriages lists the marriage of Peter and Angelin in 1845 and the minister as Paul Shirley . He was the Anglican minister in the area. You can email the Anglican Archives in Kingston for a copy of the marriage record (for a small charge).

Joanna

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 1:55PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2006 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Lockwood, Shurtleff, Simmons
Joanna, thanks for posting Abigail's date of death and other info. Peter Hamm Clark is listed in family of Samuel Clark and his wife Abigail Lockwood in Estelle Clark Watson's book "Loyalist Clark's, Badgley's and Allied Families". Estelle's genealogy and notes are excellent, she must have spent a long time researching these families- she has three and a half pages on Peter and his family. About Angeline Miles Shurtleff Estelle writes:

(daughter of Sam., grand-daughter of Gideon) who was probably born in Napanee or thereabouts. She had ancestors in Plymouth, Massachusetts by 1634. (Note from Nora- now there's an exciting avenue of research for you to pursue, Melinda!) Peter and Angeline lived to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary.

Peter Hamm Clark buried at Lakeview Cem. @ Sarnia, Ontario.

By first wife Charlotte Ann or Margaret Ann SIMMONS, Peter Hamm Clark had one son Edmund who married Annie Wallbridge of Belleville, Ont. (more info in book)

By Angeline Peter had:

Gratia Abigail
Orlando Spaulding
Angelina Esther (Nettie)
Peter McCoy Clark
Minnie
Laura Augusta

Estelle does not mention the daughter Elizabeth Clark that Russ had on 1851 census, perhaps she is same person as Angeline Esther Clark (?), and there is no Lucinda Augusta whom I suspect is same person as Laura Augusta.

There is quite a bit more info on some of these folks in the book, who they married, when and where they died, etc. I recommend anyone who is related or researching these families to find a copy of Estelle's book. I can certainly look things up in it if people ask me. I also have Linda Corupe's transcription of the JCC diaries which cover the time period of December 1831 to January 1864 in which John Collins Clark mentions many family members and people in his community.

Peter Hamm Clark is listed as third son, third child in a family of nine children for Samual Clark and his wife Abigail Lockwood.

Nora

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 2:44PM GMT
Thanks Nora. So Peter was the brother of David Lockwood Clark who went to Hungerford Township. David had 2 sons john and Samuel I've never been able to find. I'll have to try Lambton Co.
Joanna

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 12:30AM GMT
Could someone in this thread tell me how Peter Ham Clark and family fit into my Matthew Clark line? Thank you.

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=brendab...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic