Can anybody conform this and tell me where documentation
can be found ?

Thanks in advance

Bill Agerton

Re: LEA / BLACK Connection abt 1770 in NC

Richard Muller (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
I show a Sarah Lea B. 10 April 1764 Married a "Henry Black. Sarah was the daughter of George Lea and Lucy Tolbert. Sarah had 8 brothers and sisters. This info is from the Book "How I'm Kin to Whom The Lea Family in America" compiled by Martha Lea Hayes Gardner and Richard T. Gardner. This book is dated 1979. This same info is in the Book "Amite County, Mississippi" Vol 3, by Albert Eugene Casey. In the Book "Lea Genealogy" by Ben L. Rose, he just stated that Sarah married a man with the name "Black". Hope this help you a little.

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 4:21AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2002 4:08PM GMT
In The History of Person County NC (at the Person County Library) there is a section on the family of Robert Black, who immigrated with his family to the area around Caswell and Person County from Virginia before the Revolution. It mentions his son Henry (1753 to 1789) and his wife Sarah (no surname) and eight children. Henry was a Revolutionary war hero, providing supplies to the troops under trying conditions.

It would not be surprising for Sarah to have been a Lea, for there was a large prominent family of Leas in the Caswell area at the time, including a George Lea (b. 1739), son of William Lea, who, with his brother James, was thought to have been amongst the first to settle that in that part of NC.

Posted: 11 Oct 2002 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: Lea, Lipscomb
I am looking for information on Sarah (Sally) Lea, born abt. 1790 as of a census of 1850 showing her as age 60. I know she married Henry Lipscomb, son of Archibald Lipscomb probably in Caswell Co.N.C. I have copy from the land deed book of Person Co. showing she & her husband selling land which belonged to Henry Lea (decd) to George Lea Jr. in 1818. The land was held by Henry Lipscomb in right of his wife formerly Sally Lea & she had to state that she conveyed the land of her own free will. From this I am guessing that Henry (decd) may have been her father. The witnesses on this land sale are Vanhook & Bradsher, 2 names that show up often. A George Lipscomb is bondsman on several other papers with Henry & Sally, but I don't know if this George is a Sr. or Jr. I need to find a male Lea (perhaps a brother or cousin to Sarah that married Black) that could have fathered my Sarah. I will see if the LDS library has any of the books that you mentioned on the Leas so I can research them. There seem to have been many Leas is Va. & N.C. during that era. Thanks to anyone who can help. Gail

Posted: 11 Oct 2002 6:14PM GMT
Richard: Forgot to tell you that Mary A. Lipscomb is my great grandmother & Henry Lipscomb & Sarah Lea were her parents. She was born in N.C. but migrated to Texas, where she married Amariah Wilson in San Marcos. I have some history on the Lipscombs, but can only go back as far as Sarah on the Lea side. Thanks again, Gail

Posted: 11 Oct 2002 10:04PM GMT
Run across the following info from Ben Rose's book:
"Descendants of Zachariah Lea. Sources: Will of Zachariah Lea, Caswell Co. 1792; Person County Heritage Book; Person County Marriage Records by Kendell; Report of Research on the Lea Family before 1800 by Rose; Person Co NC Deed Books 1792-1825 by Kendell; Genealogical column in The Monroe (NC) Inguirer of Sep 28, 1961; material supplied by Bessie Bradsher and Garland Lea."

"Children of Zachariah Lea and Ann Townes (?)
Vincent Lea m1 Nancy Brdsher, m2 Nancy Lea
Henry Lea
George Lea m. Mary Winstead
Mary Lea m. Bankston
Rachel Lea m. Henry Sergent Moved to Russell Co VA.
Sarah (Sally) Lea m Henry Lipscomb"

The following is also from the Rose's book:

"Bessie Bradsher, who is related by marriage to Vincent Lea, Zachariah's son' says that there is a tradition in the family that Zacharah was the son of William Lea of Cobbs Creek, and Katherine Kendall seems to agree. The similarity of names of the children and grandchildren of Zachariah Lea and of William Lea (CC) makes that a very plausible conjecture. However, it is strange that Zachariah is not mentioned in the will of Mary Lea, widow of William Lea (CC), or in the settlement of his or her estate. Casey also belived that Zachariah Lea's father was William Lea (CC). He held that, since William Lea (son of John Lea of King & Queen Co VA) as a young man in Spotsylvania Co VA chose Zachary Taylor as his guardian, he then named a son Zachariah for his guardian. The problem with that guess is that there is strong evidence to show that the William Lea who was the son of John Lea of K&Q Co VA was not William Lea (CC) but was Capt William Lea of South Hico. The truth is that, with the evidence that is now available we are unable to declare with certainty who was the father of Zachariah Lea."

There is a footnote in the book that read: "Bessie Bradsher in a letter to the author says that Zachariah Lea's wife was named Ann Townes."

Do not know if this help on not. Also do not know if Rose's info is true or not. Richard

Posted: 12 Oct 2002 4:26PM GMT
Richard: Thank you so much. I'm sure this is correct as I have been "knee deep" in records of the Lea & Lipscomb families in N.C. in the latter few weeks. I have copies of wills & of land deeds etc. All these names have shown up either as grantees, grantors, witnesses, heirs, etc. but I couldn't put the right ones together. As I study this & put the dates together I will be able to verify several things. I was in the LDS library in Salt Lake last week & read several articles on the Leas named here. Did not find Ben Rose's book but there were articles by Bessie Bradsher in the Caswell Co. & Person Co. history books. I am trying to prove Revolutionary War soldiers as supplement ancestors of mine for DAR. I already belong through James Wilson (a great-granfather on the same side of my family as the Lea & Lipscomb.) I read in one of the articles on the Leas about a Lea being a Revolutionary soldier. I will have to research that further. I am in the midst of submitting Arch Lipscomb, father of Henry & Sarah's husband as a supplement now & have all the proof necessary. I live in Colorado & will have to see if the books you mention are on microfilm & have them sent to the family history library here. Thanks again, (Joy) Gail

Posted: 12 Oct 2002 9:17PM GMT
About the Leas and the Revolutionary War. Do not know how many served but I can tell you that my wife's 5th great grandfather was in that War, but on the losing side. He was a Capt. At one point during the war Col. Benjamin Cleveland was ordered in pursuit of Capt. Luke Lea's Tories who were defeated at Ramsour's Mills (SC). Luke's son James Major Lea frought on the America side and in fact married Col Roddy's daughter Elizabeth. Col Roddy was with George Washington at Valley Forge. James and Elizabeth are buried in the Lea Cem. in Amite County, MS. James moved to MS among with his father (Luke) from TN. If you would like Ben Rose address or telephone number e-mail me direct at nrmuller1@aol.com

Posted: 14 Jul 2003 8:30PM GMT
I am researching the Robert Black family. I beleive George b abt 1757 was Roberts son andwas the father of my ggggrandfather Robert who married Lucy Gill in 1792 and had Hardy, Thornton, Hyram and Leathly or Leatha. We are trying to find out if Thornton's full name was Thornton Henderson. Would this infro be in the infro you were talking about?
Thanks memehill08@hotmail.com

Bill Agerton (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2003 9:31PM GMT
Thank you for answering my querry. I am sorry but I do not have any information on Thornton Black.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions