Search for content in message boards

Looking for PAF 2 for CP/M

Looking for PAF 2 for CP/M

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 12:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, for CP/M.

I started doing computer-based genealogy back in '86 using PAF 2.0 on my CP/M computer. I still have the computer, and am trying to install PAF again to access some old data files.

Unfortunately, two of the installation disks have gone bad.

Does anyone have a copy of the CP/M version of PAF they could send me, or know where I might find it?

--Nathanael

Re: Looking for PAF 2 for CP/M

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 12:14PM GMT
20 Jan. 2012

Family History Centers will often have the older versions of PAF for DOS, but the version for CP/M is going to be a tough one.

Any idea as to whether the data files might be readable by the DOS version? If they're binary, it probably won't work, but if by some chance they're ASCI, it seems it might work.

Dave

Re: Looking for PAF 2 for CP/M

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 2:01AM GMT
To date I haven't found any FHCs that even know what CP/M is, let alone that there was a CP/M version of PAF.

Yes, you can up-convert the data by hopscotching up the PAF version chain -- 2.1 for DOS imports the 2.0 for CP/M data files, then 4.0 reads 2.1's, etc. But I don't have a CP/M utility that will write to a DOS-format floppy disk -- only read -- so I can get stuff into the machine, but not out.

The exception is text files, which I can upload via a terminal program over modem or serial cable. I tried UUENCODE-ing the data file, but PAF 4 choked on the UUDECODEd result.

IIRC PAF 2 could export to GEDCOM, so that's what I want to try next.

Thanks for your reply,

Nathanael
per page

Find a board about a specific topic