Search for content in message boards

Murphys and Moultons of Stephenson County, 1840's-1860's

Murphys and Moultons of Stephenson County, 1840's-1860's

Posted: 8 Dec 2002 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Apr 2003 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, Moulton, Coursey
I am looking for information on any Murphys and Moultons who were living in or near Stephenson County, Illinois in the 1840’s to 1860’s in the hopes of finding the family of one my ggg-grandmothers, Mary Ann Murphy. She was born in (St. Thomas, Ontario?) Canada on 10 Oct 1830. Her parents were born in Ireland. She was probably married to a man with the surname Moulton between about 1848 and 1857. He died, and she married my ggg-grandfather James William Coursey on 9 Sep 1857 in Stephenson County, probably at St. Mary’s Church in Irish Grove (in the township of Rock Run I think). Shortly after they were married they moved to Kansas. Mary may have had a younger brother whose first name begins with M, as there is an M. Murphy living with them in the 1860 Kansas census.

I have found a family living in Erin, Stephenson County, IL in the 1850 census which could be Mary’s:
Town of Erin, Stephenson County, p. 332, dwelling # 1231, family # 1301
Mary Murphy, 47 [b abt 1803], Ireland
John, 22 [b abt 1828], Canada, farmer
Mary, 17 [b abt 1833], Canada
Bridget, 15 [b abt 1835], Canada
Michael, 12 [b abt 1838], Canada

Living next door to them is the family of Edward and Catherine Murphy. Edward is of the right age to be a brother of Mary’s, but I have no idea if they are related:
Edward Murphy, 40 [b abt 1810], Ireland, farmer
Catherine, 39 [b abt 1811], Ireland
Franklin, 11 [b abt 1839], Illinois
William, 9 [b abt 1841], Illinois
Elizabeth, 7 [b abt 1843], Illinois
George, 5 [b abt 1845], Illinois

Edward Murphy's family is also in the 1860 census, and Mary Murphy is also there, living alone.

In the Government Land Office database I have found listings for the purchase of land in Erin Twp by a Mary Murphy in 1844 and 1848. This could be the same Mary as in the census records.

If anyone has any information on this family, either to prove or disprove that the younger Mary Murphy in the 1850 Erin census is my Mary Murphy, or any info on who the Moulton she married could be, I’d be incredibly grateful! I am also very interested in any info on St Mary’s Church in Irish Grove, (Rock Run Twp?), Stephenson County. The church may have been torn down and replaced by new one in 1897. Thank you!

Re: Murphys and Moultons of Stephenson County, 1840's-1860's

Gary Price (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2002 12:34PM GMT
I believe the families were all living in Erin Township. I don't think there is a connection to the church at Irish Grove in the eastern part of the county. The community was known as New Dublin and the church St Marys on the Mound. All that remains today is the cemetery.
The following are buried at the cemetery.

Johanna Coursey died July 21 1854, age 21, same stone as Rebecca Pirkey

Margaret Molten, died May 5 1851, age 38 years, born Ireland, nee Keane, wife of B Molten, children: Margaret, Ellen, Mary, Elizabeth, Ann

Molton, Patrick
died May 4 1854 age 78, born Ireland,

Patrick Moulton, Molton died August 7 1895, age 85 born County Clare, Ireland, died Freeport, IL, married Bridget Quinn, no children, two half sisters, Mrs. Richard Barron, Mrs. Hamm

Michael Molton, died September 22 1856, age 28 days, born Ireland, son of Parick and Mary Moldton

Mary Molton, Mary, died November 17 1876, age 73, born Ireland, wife of Parick Molton

Molton, William, died July 6 1853, age 23 years, born Ireland, son of Patrick and Mary Molton

Edward Murphy, died May 23 1875, age 65, born Ireland, married Catherine, children: Franklin, William, Elizabeth, George

Mary Murphy, died August 13 1869, age 75, nee McNeil, waife of Michael Murphy, native of Couty Antrim, Ireland, children: John, Mary, Bridget, Michael

John Murphy, died March 1 1853, age 25, born Canada, son of Mary Murphy

Murphy, Honora, died February 23 1875, age 30, waife of John Murphy,

Andrew Murphy, died October 15 1866, age 36, married Catherine McShane July 18 1861

Catherine Murphy, died August 17 1868, age 37, nee McShane, wife of Andrew Murphy

William M Murphy, died November 5 1902, age 36, born nea New Dublin, died Freeport, IL, died of paralysis, parents died when a small boy and was reared by Mrs. Bridget Moulton, employed by the Stover Shops

James Murphy, died June 5 1874,age 8 years,

Ellen Elizabeth Murphy, September 6 1850-April 6 1927, born Galena, Il, died Kent, IL, daughter of Timothy and Heriod (Hanlin) Murphy

Cathrine Murphy, died January 20 1899, age 92, bornCounty Monaghan, Ireland, died Freeport, IL, dame to the US in 1833 and to Stephenson County in 1849

Let me know if this helps

Re: Murphys and Moultons of Stephenson County, 1840's-1860's

Posted: 16 Dec 2002 10:38PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2006 8:48AM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, Moulton, Molton, Coursey, Pirkey
Oh boy, does that information ever help! THANK YOU! There were several items that were very interesting:

>Johanna Coursey died July 21 1854, age 21, same stone as Rebecca Pirkey

This had me hyperventilating for a little while, because I believe that she may be an unknown sister of my ancestor James Coursey. I had found the following family living in Jo Daviess County, IL in the 1850 census:

1850 Census, Plum River Precinct, JoDaviess, Illinois, p. 170
George Harris, age 53 [b abt 1797], England, farmer
Hannah Harris, age 58 [b abt 1792], Ireland
Johanna Curry, age 18 [b abt 1832], Canada
Elizabeth Curry, age 16 [b abt 1834], Maine

This is a near perfect match for my Courseys, Hannah Coursey did remarry to a man named Harris, James should be in California, and Elizabeth Coursey was born 1835 in Maine. The two discrepancies are the Curry surname, which is fairly similar to Coursey, and the presence of Johanna. But Johanna Curry and Johanna Coursey may well be the same person, they were born about the same year. Hurray! Do you know if there is any more info to be found on Johanna, Rebecca Pirkey, or George and Hannah Harris? Or any indication of the connection between Johanna and Rebecca?

>Edward Murphy, died May 23 1875, age 65, born Ireland, married Catherine, children: Franklin,
>William, Elizabeth, George

>Mary Murphy, died August 13 1869, age 75, nee McNeil, waife of Michael Murphy, native of
>County Antrim, Ireland, children: John, Mary, Bridget, Michael

>John Murphy, died March 1 1853, age 25, born Canada, son of Mary Murphy

These families are exact matches for the two Murphys I was looking for. Mary, daughter of the Mary Murphy who died Aug 13 1869 is the Mary Murphy that I am hoping is my ggg-grandmother. Do you know if the younger Mary is buried in the cemetery? (I’m hoping she isn’t because then I’ll be back to square one - the Mary I’m looking for is buried in Kansas.) Is there any way to find out if Edward and Mary were related? They were neighbors in the 1850 census.

>Michael Molton, died September 22 1856, age 28 days, born Ireland, son of Parick and Mary Moldton
>Molton, William, died July 6 1853, age 23 years, born Ireland, son of Patrick and Mary Molton

I don’t know the first name of the Moulton/Molton I’m looking for, but both of these are of the right age (if Michael was 28 years at death and not 28 days) and died during the right time period. Is there any way to find out if they were married?

Where did you find this information? Do you know if there is any more to be found on these families? Do any church or cemetery records exist? I would be particularly interested in any more info on Johanna Coursey and Rebecca Pirkey, Mary Murphy’s family (especially whether or not her daughter Mary is buried in the cemetery), and whether or not the two Molton boys were married. I realize these are a lot of questions! I would be incredibly grateful if you could help me, or give me some pointers as to where I could look for more info. These families have been something of a brick wall for a long time. Thank you SO much for posting this information!

Erica
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions