Search for content in message boards

Scott Families of Caroline Co. and Lynchburg, VA DNA

Scott Families of Caroline Co. and Lynchburg, VA DNA

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 1:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for male descendants of the following people: Thomas Scott/ Martha Williams of Caroline County, VA and their descendants.

These include Rice Scott/ Marie Osborne, Thomas Scott/ Sarah Embry, James Scott/ Elizabeth Osbourne, Samuel Scott/ Ann Roy, William Scott/ Ann Jones,(possibly)John Scott/ Hannah Brunskill, (possibly) Robert Scott/ Ann George Coleman, (possibly)John Francis Scott/ Martha Woolfolk of Caroline County,

Other Virginia lines of this family are Dr. Thomas Lewellyn Scott/ Anne Elizabeth Taylor, (possibly) Harrod Brunskill Scott/ Sarah Christian,Henry Embra Scott/ Sarah Edmunds,William Coleman Scott/ Paulina Daniel,William Scott/ Mary Wilson, Samuel Scott/ Elizabeth Bigger,Col. Thomas Osbourn Scott/ Jane Haskins, Beverly Roy Scott/ Almira Lewis Anderson, Samuel McGregor Scott/ Camilla West Payne, William Waller Scott/ Elizabeth Jane Pendleton, Thomas Hazelwood Scott /Margaret Parks Burks and Berlinda Ann Smith,Hugh Roy Scott/ Elizabeth Burks, Branch Osbourn Scott/ Mary Jane Scott,(possibly) Francis Woolfork Scott/Ann Maria Minor, Edwin Wilson Scott/ Louisa Jane Ligon, John Archer Scott/ Elizabeth Amanda Scott, Rev. Hugh Roy Scott/ Anna Margaret Scott, William Preston Scott / Frances J. Tinsley, James Pendleton Scott / Jane Tweedy Kirkpatrick,Dr. Robert Garland Scott / Sarah W. Shelton, William Rice Scott / Virginia Louisa Burks,Dr. Samuel Burks Scott / Sallie Donald Patteson, Frank Goode Scott / Margaret Ann Scott, (possibly) Rev. Richard Brunskill Scott, Jr./ Sarah Maude Eugenia Percy, (possibly) John Walter Scott/ Gabriella Busher, (possibly)Francis Woolfolk Scott, Jr./ (1)Julia Isabella Mann/ (2) Caroline Matilda Blake, John Archer Scott, Jr. / Jane Walker, Dr. Edward Waller Scott/ Ida Gertrude Fletcher, Waller Scott/ Kate Childrey, William Edwin Scott/ Mary Andrea Roberts, James Pendleton Scott II / Lucile Warick Robinson, William Rice Scott, Jr./ Sarah Elizabeth Stratton, Hugh Roy Scott/ Nellie Gordon Yuille, Dr. Hugh Donald Scott / Evelyn Mayo Davies,John Ward Scott/ Katherine Watts.

Many are buried in Lynchburg Virginia, where generations of this line of the Scott family lived. There are questions about the relationship of this family to another Caroline County Scott line - that of John Scott and his children Johnny and Thomas Scott. There is also no firm proof of the relationship of some of these lines. At Family Tree DNA, http://www.familytreedna.com, there is a Scott group that has a John Scott of Caroline and Orange County descendant, as well as many other Scotts. There is also a Scottish clans group there that might help with leads to take this line back to Scotland. If you are a descendant of any of the above Scott couples, and would be interested in taking a DNA test to help connect some of these lines, please contact me. Lyn

Re: Scott Families of Caroline Co. and Lynchburg, VA DNA

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 4:02AM GMT
Surnames: Scott
are there African Americans in this line - relatives or slaves?

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 2:38AM GMT
There probably were, but the line I am researching is white. As it turned out, my father took a DNA test and it showed he had NO Scott ancestors - all matches - all distant to about 400 yrs ago - were Ewings! Apparently our ancestor was called Scott for his origin - Scotland. Lyn

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 3:14AM GMT
Great story about your Dad and genetic testing...the twists and turns of all of this - genealogy - are what makes it so addictive...

I'm interested in those who owned slaves too, so if you have anything on Scott's who owned slaves I'd appreciate anything you can share. I know my Scott's where slaves in King George/Caroline/Essex county and a gent named Anderson Scott (white) seems to be there owner. I'm stuck in the 1870's....

Thanks. Good luck on your searches...

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 3:22AM GMT
Anderson Scott is not in my line - our first known Scott shows up buying land in Spotsylvania VA in 1716 from Col. William Todd - supposedly this John Scott, styled gentleman in the records - married a Jane Todd about 1716 - all records date from the land sale. He was from Essex or Caroline county before that, by family lore. Needless to say, any white male of any substance most likely had slaves then, but no records exist for this line due to the records being burned - no wills, for example. Good luck - VA is tough to research slave records in due to all the lost records.

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 3:47AM GMT
Thanks.

Good luck to you too.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 9:58PM GMT
Would you know if William Scott born about 1814 in Prince Edward County, Virginia was a son of William and Mary Wilson Scott? Were they members of Briery Presbyterian Church by any chance?

William F. Scott was listed as constable and planter in Prince Edward County in the 1850s and 1860s. His holdings included many slaves. William Scott disappears from the Prince Edward County, VA records by 1870. I believe that he was alive as late as 1867

Inez

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Meadows
No, he is the wrong generation to be their child - they were born in the mid 1600s. However, here is a hint from Kay Bedford Date: February 26, 2008.

"Jeremiah Meadows/Meadors left a will in Pr. Edward Co., VA dated 5 Sept. 1806, proved 15 Dec. 1806. In his will he mentions his wife Sarah and children John; Sally Cunningham; son-in-law John Nelson; William; Nathaniel; Gabriel; Sicily; and Susannah. The executors were William Scott and son, William and son Nathaniel. Wit: David Flournoy, John Hatchett; Asborn Meadows.

Elsewhere I have found that Jeremiah's children married the following people: Mary "Polly" Meadows, b. ca. 1776, m. John Nelson in 1796; Susannah Meadows, b. ca. 1778, m. Alex Cunningham 2 Dec. 1796; John Anderson Meadows, b. 1780, m. Lettie Cunningham in 1798; William Meadows, b. ca. 1782, m. Jane Blankenship in 1811; Nathaniel Meadows, b. 1784, m. Sarah Duffer in 1811; Gabriel B. Meadows, b. ca. 1786; Cecilia Meadows, b. ca. 1793, m. Chas. Scott Duffer 1814.

Can anyone tell me about Jeremiah's executors: William Scott and his sons William and Nathaniel Scott? I am inclined to think that William Scott, the father of William and Nathaniel, may have been Sarah Meadows' brother. If this is the case, can anyone tell me to which Scott family in Pr. Edward Co. they belong? Could this William Scott be the William Scott who is mentioned as a son of James Scott who d. 1805 Pr. Edward Co? However, according to his will, that James did not have a dau. named Sarah."

This would imply he was a son of a William and brother of a Nathanial, but not the one you mentioned. Lyn

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Meadows, Tatum, Bigger
Hi Lyn - The William F. Scott I referred to was listed in the 1850 and 1860 Census as living in Prince Edward County, Virginia (Moore's Ordinary, now Meherrin,VA). Included in his household was his overseer, Thomas Bigger (son of John and Elizabeth Cary Bigger) and an elderly woman named Mary Meadows (born around 1776).

Mary Meadows was the aunt of Mary J. Tatum.

I believe this William F. Scott may have been associated with Briery Church. In December of 1828, the following Scotts were listed as members in that church:

Captain Charles Scott, son of Thomas Scott "removed to Cub in 1808, died before Dec 1838.
Col. Thomas Scott, second husband of Ruth Billups,
Mary, wife of William Scott, died 21 Jan 1826
Meeky Scott,
Priscilla Scott, sister of Clement Read and wife of Capt. Charles Scott.
Sally, daughter of William Scott.
William Scott, Ruling Elder.

There were a number of Meadows included in the membership in December of 1828:

Ann P. Meadows, granddaughter of Jeremiah Meadows
Austin, son of James Meadows,
Jeremiah Meadows, died 28 September 1800
Mary, daughter of James Meadows
Sarah, wife of James Meadows died May of 1818

The only extraneous bit of information I have on William F. Scott is that he was once a constable of Prince Edward County. His middle name was either Francis or Frazier per the marriage records of his natural daughters.

Inez

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Scott
This is a great thread, thank you all for posting. I also have a Scotts line from Prince Edward and I have been trying to find all possible connections. I am related to Cora Mae Scott, whose siblings are Mary Ann, Joseph, Delia, Julia, Ernest George and Johnny Scott. Their parents are George L. and Mary Ann. Dates are 1850-1880. If this sounds even remotely familiar, please feel free to respond and thank you in advance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions