Search for content in message boards

I'm looking for any information on the John Martinus (Jonassen) Monness.

I'm looking for any information on the John Martinus (Jonassen) Monness.

Posted: 12 Mar 2002 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Mar 2002 6:26AM GMT
This is what I know so far. John Martinus (Jonassen) Monness was born August 12, 1857 in Verdal, Norway. He married Karen Marie Ostnesss she was born July 19, 1861 in Verdal, Norway Karen died December 31, 1929 in Stanley, Clark County, Wisconsin John had the last name legally changed to Monness at the Ellsworth Courthouse, Ellsworth, Pierce County, Wisconsin the date unknown. They had at least 7 children Amy, Elvina, Milton, Richard,Allie , Herman and John Alvin Monness. John Alvin was my great-grandfather. He was born April 14, 1891 in River Falls, Pierce County, Wisconsin. He married Laura Geolina Larson on May 3, 1901 in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota. John died January 18, 1959 at the University Hospital, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin. Laura was born ecember 23, 1900 in Pine Creek, Dunn County, Wisconsin. Laura died January 21, 1967 at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, Wood County, Wisconsin. I have a little more information, but to much to add at this time.
Please if anyone has any information please contact me at my e-mail address: pamelassmith@hotmail.com

Thank you
Pam Smith

Re: I'm looking for any information on the John Martinus (Jonassen) Monness.

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 5:01AM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2003 8:16PM GMT
Pam,

Hope this helps, I wasn't able to pin point John Martinus Jonasen, but I found Karen Maria Henricksdatter born in Østnæs.

Church - Vuku
Birth - 19.07.1861
Baptized - 13.10.1861
Given Name - Karen Maria
Sex - K (female)
Fathers Name - Henrick
Fathers fathers name - Ole
Fathers Residence - Østnæsvald
Mothers name - Kari
Mothers father - Arent
Mothers Residence Østnæsvald
Remarks - K.(christend) 01.10.1876
Att. Amerika 12.01.1882
Go to the Digital Arkives for Norway at:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&a...
With her info you should be able to trace he family back 100 years. If you need help with the digital Inn, let me know. Its a fantastic place.

Michael

FYI - to follow their last names you take their fathers name and add either "sen" or "datter" for son and daughter. Which means her fathers name is Henrick Olsen and her mother is Kari Arentsdatter.

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 1:10PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2002 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: Monness
Thank you Michael for the wonderful information on Karen Marie. With the information I got from you I have also found John Martinus Jonassen. I also figured out how the name Monness came about. It was the name of the farm they left in Norway.
I was also wondering if may be you can help find some other information. I am also looking for information on Mkkel Nilsen Pinnerud. I know that they came from Vang, Furnes Parish, Norway. He was born October 21, 1822. and came to America in about 1869. If you can help me that would be great. I am doing about 5 different families and enjoying every bit of it.
Do you know anything about how to get information from Germany or Prussia? Yes I have family from there also.
Thank you once again for the wonderful information, it made my day.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Pam

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 3:10PM GMT
Pam,

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

I'm not sure if the link above will work or not, but this is what I found:

1865 Census
Furnæs/Vang/Pinerud*

Mikkel Niels. Husband age 44
Kari Johannesd. Wife age 47
Kristian Niels. 16
Olia Nielsd. 12
Hans Niels. 8
Marte Nielsd. 6
Johanne Nilesd. 3

Michael

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 3:22PM GMT
Pam,

I know this could be a stretch, but I noticed that the areas you are seaching in WI are Pierce Co. and Stanley, Chippewa Co. You also mentioned following other lines. Just by chance are you looking for any Olson's or Simonson's in these areas?

I have a g grandfather that was born in River Falls, Oluf Olson and his wife died in Stanley, Minnie Simonson Olson. Their daughter Winnefred Olson was born in Stanley, she is my grand mother on my fathers side.

Thanks for checking.

Michael

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 6:03PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2002 2:53AM GMT
Thank you for looking up the Pinnerud's for me I will go from there I' m not sure about the Olson's and Simmonson's. See I have only been doing this for about 2 years when my Great Uncle past away and I found out that not much information was to be had on my father's side. The reason I am looking in Pierce County is that is where my Great Grandfather Alvin Monness was born and I believe that is where John Monness changed the last name.
I also have alot of relatives that live or lived in Chippewa County. Some are Pinnerud's, but most of them Schmock's or Novak's. The Schmock' s and the Novak's came from Germany and Prussia. I have found quite abit of info on them thanks to posting on the web. I am stuck when I go to search in Germany and was Prussia. Do you know anything about finding the info in those countries?
I am also looking for Nerison's they also came from Norway, but at this point am unsure of where. Some of the names I do have are Neri Nerison, Gunhild Nerison and they lived in the Sand Creek area of Dunn County.
I appreciate greatly all the help that you have given me, it is really exciting to me.
I will try to see if I find any of those that you are looking for.
Also the only thing I know about Stanley is that Karen was buried there.
Thank you once again for you all your great help.
Pam

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 6:53PM GMT
Pam,

I meant to give you some tips on the Digital Arkives, they have a great section for Verdal.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&a...

Here you have access to many census records, but there is a section on Verdal only. On the left click "The Digital Inn", then on the right, click "To the Digital Inn", then go to the bottom of the page and click "Verdal historielag". There are about 100 years of births and deaths there.

When searching births, the last column named "Remarks" , these are usually dates. "K" stands for christened, "G" stands for married, "E" stands for spouse's death, "D" stands for their death, "Att. (Place)" stands for when they left Verdal and where they went to.

When searching names(Forenavn/frist - Etternavn/Last), click the arrow next to "equals" and click "starting with" and use only the first couple letter of the name. It gives you other variations and persons with middle names.

Special characters:
Ø - hold down alt and type 0216
ø - hold down ald and type 0248
Å - alt and 0197
å - alt and 0229
Æ - alt and 0198
æ - alt and 0230

Knowing these things helped me out, hopefully it does you. Have a great time on your searching, I've been dancing around in the Digital Arkives for about a month now and am still amazed at what I find.

Sorry I won't be able to help you much on Germany/Prussia. I'm a Wisconsin born and bread Norweigian with a Scottish last name. "Cindy's List" has alot of links, but thats about all I know.

Michael

Posted: 2 Nov 2008 12:12PM GMT
Pam, Have data on Neri Nerison, Please reply.'
Tam

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 2:48PM GMT
Tam
I am very interested in any information you have on the Nerison's. I am also willing to share the information I have gathered. Please tell me which brother's widow you are talking about.
Pam

The Schmocks

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 6:11PM GMT
Hi, my name is Pam Smock and my great grandfather was Herman Schmock and my grandfather was Millard Schmock who married Fern Krumm.

May I ask what you know? My father doesn't talk much about family and I am just learning things now.

Many thanks!
Pam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic