Search for content in message boards

BURRELL/BORRELL - Catharine b. abt 1820, PA

BURRELL/BORRELL - Catharine b. abt 1820, PA

Virginia (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2002 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BURRELL, BORRELL, WALT, WALLIS
I am looking for any further identification to document the subject Borell family and specifically Catharine Borrell and her parents or other descendants. Catharine is found in the household of Henry Walt in 1850 Liverpool, Perry County, PA. Other evidence indicates she is his wife.

Catharine Borell Walt's daughter Minerva's death certificate identifies Catharine as Katherine Berell. (spelling) The name is found in many combinations of spellings. Catharine's husband Henry died in 1853 and was previously from Northumberland County. (Probably Dalmatia area before 1840).
1850 Census Liverpool Borough, Perry Co., PA 1013 - 498
SEPT 17, 1850
Dwelling # 96
Family # 95
Henry Walt age 33, M, Boatbuilder, born Penna.,
Catharine, age 30, F, Penna.
Minerva J., age 4, F, Penna.
Amanda M., age 3, F, Penna.
Ambridge (sp?), age 1/12, M
Rebecca Borrel, age 17, F, Penna.
(Could the Rebecca Borrel mentioned in this 1850 census be Catharine's sister?)

Catharine Borell WALT appears to have remarried between 1861 and 1865 to an Unknown WALLIS. In 1870 Liverpool census she is found as Catharine WALLIS, head of household, no husband name listed.

There were Borell/Borrel families in Perry Co and Dalmatia, Northumberland County, just across the Susquehanna River from Liverpool, PA around this time. Peter Borrell family is in 1860 Census for Dalmatia, Northumberland Co.
Bell's History of Northumberland Co PA -GEORGETOWN. [Present day Dalmatia] Page 710 "As evidenced by the assessment of 1811, the improvements at that date, with the names of respective owners and occupants, were as follows: house and stable, owned by Peter Secrist and occupied by George Borell; house, owned by James White and occupied by Hugh Bruman, storekeeper; house, owned and occupied by Peter Borell, blue-dyer; house, owned and occupied by Nicholas Bubb, Jr., ......"

Excerpt Floyd's Northumberland County Genealogy page 270- Benneviile M. Bubb... became clerk in the general store of Peter Borel (name now spelled Burrell, it is of French extraction). Mr. Borel operated a general store and bought up grain, which was taken across the Susquehanna at Georgetown, by flats, to "McKees Half Falls," to the Pennsylvania canal, was loaded onto a Union canal boat, at Middletown, where the Union canal started, and went by way of Reading to Philadelphia, where the grain was sold. Mr. Bubb was with Mr. Borel for five years, until he and George W. Arbogast bought out the good will, stock and fixtures of Borel's store, the firm being Arbogast & Bubb.

Does anyone had any further documentation of the following that might place Catharine Borrell born about 1820, with one of these family groups?
Census: 1870: A-K Index to the 1870 Census Perry County, PA
Borell Wm. page 16
Borrel George 239
Borrel Jacob 147
Borrel Jacob 239
Borrel John 154
Borrel John 239
Borrel Samuel 147
Borrel Sarah 240
Borrel Barbara 303
Borrell Kate 31

If anyone is also researching the Borrell/Borell/Burrell families in either Perry County or Northumberland County, PA in the early 1800s, please contact me, if you are interested in sharing or conferring. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Virginia

Re: BURRELL/BORRELL - Catharine b. abt 1820, PA

Phyllis Burral-Lopez (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2002 2:17AM GMT
I am looking for an Isaac Burrall,Burrell,Berall, Borrel...surname spelled all these ways..died in Franklin County, Pa. Married Christiana...Had children ones I have are:CatherineMargaretHettieIsaac Jr.John A.Barbara..twinChristiana..twinMalindaAny info would be appreciated..Thanks in advance...Phyllis

Re: BURRELL/BORRELL - Catharine b. abt 1820, PA

Phyllis Burral-Lopez (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2004 5:41PM GMT
Surnames: Burrall, Burral, Burall, Burral
I believe this is the family I am looking for..Do you have an Isaac..possible middle name Alfred. Born between 1802 and 1812. His name on the 1840 cenus was spelled Borell and later Burrall, Burall, Burral, and Burrell.Thanks for any help...Phyllis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic