I have the following information in my Raney file. Father of Joseph P. Raney was William (or James) Raney born in KY or VA. The mother was Lucy Graves of KY or NC.
Twelve children were born to them while living in Somerset, Pulaski Co., KY. There were 4 boys: Samuel Raney moved to southern Iowa and raised a family of several boys and girls; Archie Raney died around the age of 20; John Raney died around the age of 16; and Joseph Porter Raney.
J.P. Raney settled in Hartville, MO. He was born at Somerset, KY, on July 18, 1827. He grew up in Macon County, MO, and died at Mountain Grove, Wright Co., MO, on Nov. 5, 1895. He was a farmer, merchant, and judge. In the Civil War he was First Lieutenant of Co. A 1st Arkansas Cavalry, a Union Army regiment. Later he was Sheriff of Barry Co., MO (Cassville is the county seat). He later moved to Hartville, Wright County, MO. He owned businesses in Mountain Grove and Hartville. He was a member of the board of supervisors of that county and was a member of the State Legislature from that county. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge at both Hartville and Mountain Grove, MO. He was a member of the Baptist Church.
Joseph Porter Raney married Frances Louise McQuigg--her maiden name was Frances Louise Weaver. She was a widow whose husband was killed in the Civil War at the Battle of Wilson Creek near Sprinfield, MO. She had one child--Martin Van Buren McQuigg. She and J.P. had seven children:
1. William Purdy Raney who married Estelle Read. They had three sons: William Read, George, and Frank.
2. Lucy Maud Raney who married John Thomas Robinett. They had four children: Jesse, Estelle, Howard, and Ruth.
3. Dorcas Pauline Raney who married Jesse Allen Robinett. They had eight children: Unas Maud, Frances, Paul Jones, James, Lucy, Clara, John Thomas, and Joseph.
4. George (Guy) Raney died at age 9.
5. James Albert Raney who never married and died at age 57.
6. Joseph Harrison Raney who married Hope Dill. They had two children: Joseph Dill and Frances Lee.
7. John Raney died about age 16.
Joseph Porter Raney was married first to Miss M.E. Grassel and had one child who died.
J. P. Raney's second wife Frances died in October, 1884. In May, 1888, to Miss Nancy Thomas, who was born in Shelby Co., MO.
The sister of Joseph P. Raney: Jane Raney married Green Wiles and had 1 boy and 7 girls; Poplar Raney married a Reynolds; Celia Raney married a Hughes and had several children; Lucy Raney had 2 children by 1st husband Hughes and 3 children by 2nd husband George Herrin; and one sister married Rufus O'Farell.
My Raney relatives were also from Somerset, Pulaski Co., KY and moved to Wright Co., MO. I know that our Raneys knew each other in Wright Co., but I have never been able to fit your J.P. Raney into my family of Raneys.
I hope this information helps.