Search for content in message boards

Ship "Paria" NZ 1865/66 Bound from Scotland.

Ship "Paria" NZ 1865/66 Bound from Scotland.

Posted: 5 Nov 2008 10:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone able to steer me in the direction to find a listing for this ship & passenger list. It departed 11/10/1865 Glasgow to Port Chalmers NZ 6 Jan 1866. I have spent a couple of days visiting all possible NZ shipping links with no luck. The only thing I have is the 1869 debtors list which identifies 2 possible names that I seek Margaret & Williamina Mcdonald but gives no ages/relationship or anything.
ta vic

Re: Ship "Paria" NZ 1865/66 Bound from Scotland.

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: MacDonald,Craig
Hello Vicki,
This vessel sailed to Port Chalmers bringing out several members of the MacDonald family from Caithness, Scotland in early 1867. Wilhelmina MacDonald was my great grandmother and married James Craig from Paisley,Scotland in Aug 1867 at the Taieri parish church in Otago. They then settled in North Otago where she had 13 children and died in 1896. The third son, Charles was my grandfather. I have a nearly complete geneology for the Craigs but would welcome more information on the MacDonalds esp Charles MacDonald who was Wilhemina's father, from Culloden, near Inverness.

I can send you some e-copies of documents if needed.

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 11:35PM GMT
Surnames: MacDonald, McDonald, Cole
Doug thankyou for your message. You have solved a problem for me. My gr grand mother was also "Minna" (Wilhelmina/Williamina MacDonald & I have come to a complete & utter stop with her. I was trying to find when she went to NZ, which may or may not give me a family group to work on, as I cannot find her birth circ. 1858 parents William & Annie (as per death cert.) ALSO in Inverness, Scotland. So your Wilhelmina is not my Wilhelmina therefore I can rule out this ship & family.She married Roland Cole 25 Jan 1879 Dunedin NZ. The MacDonalds are tricky to track, spelling a major problem. I have a hint of a birth possibility which I have to prove/disprove, Minna's father may have been William "McDONALD" & her mother Annie "MacDonald". Should my digging find a Charles as well I well let you know. Thankyou once again Vicki

thank you once again Vicki.

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 11:35PM GMT
Surnames: MacDonald, McDonald, Cole
Doug thankyou for your message. You have solved a problem for me. My gr grand mother was also "Minna" (Wilhelmina/Williamina MacDonald & I have come to a complete & utter stop with her. I was trying to find when she went to NZ, which may or may not give me a family group to work on, as I cannot find her birth circ. 1858 parents William & Annie (as per death cert.) ALSO in Inverness, Scotland. So your Wilhelmina is not my Wilhelmina therefore I can rule out this ship & family.She married Roland Cole 25 Jan 1879 Dunedin NZ. The MacDonalds are tricky to track, spelling a major problem. I have a hint of a birth possibility which I have to prove/disprove, Minna's father may have been William "McDONALD" & her mother Annie "MacDonald". Should my digging find a Charles as well I well let you know. Thankyou once again Vicki.

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: robertson
did you find out any more info on the Paria
Im trying to trace Alexander Murray Robertson who was meant to have arrived in Dunedin on this ship in 1861

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 4:24AM GMT
Barry,
Unfortunately no, only that the family of Macdonald (with identical christian names)I was tracing now appears to still have been in Scotland in 1871. So I have discounted the ship Paria.
sorry vicki

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 12:14PM GMT
I am Albet Craig's grandson and have been researching the Craig family for five years and would like to share all my research with you. Contact me ian at thejolls dot com as I would like conformation of what I have deduced

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 5:51AM GMT
Hi Ian Joll,
I am the grandson of Charles Craig who married an Elizabeth Booth. Their family settled in Christchurch where there are many relatives.
I have a reasonably complete family tree from James Craig on down but am still chasing the Scots side of the family from East Kilbride.

Make contact via my email doug.071@gmail.com to exchange further information

Doug Craig, Nelson

Posted: 8 Nov 2013 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: Craig, Marshall, Wilson
Hi Doug,
I am at the very beginning of my research into the Craig's. I cant seem to find any history from my living family members I only have a vague amount of information about my grandparents. I am hoping you may have some information that would set me off in the right track.

I Ben, am the grandson of Ian Roy Wilson Craig b. 1930's, d. 1991 Invercargill m. Marion Bell Marshall. Ian was the son of John Roy Craig m. Annie Wilson. Ian and Marion had 4 sons John Roy 1949, David Stuart Marshall 1951, Alistair Ian, George d.1970.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic