Search for content in message boards

Owen O'Sullivan from Cork or Kerry Co., Ireland

Owen O'Sullivan from Cork or Kerry Co., Ireland

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sullivan/ O'Sullivan
Hi,
I have finally traced Owen Sullivan (they dropped the 'O' after landing in US), who came with 2 sons, Owen D. & Thomas; apparently the boys were fairly young. But I am seriously banging my head against the wall trying to get any further with searching for Owen's spouse. If anyone can help me with this (I've been working on this for 6 years now) I would be sooooo appreciative! Please? If you don't know the answers, maybe you can point me in a direction where I can get them!
Wendy

Re: Owen O'Sullivan from Cork or Kerry Co., Ireland

Posted: 18 May 2004 7:35PM GMT
Wendy,

I am a direct descendent of Dermod O'Sullivan and Lady Julia MacCarthy from Dunboy Castle, Munster Ireland. These 2 go back to about 1500 and were considered the First Generation. According to my records, a Derman O'Sullivan died in America (arrived in 1656); John O'Sullivan was born in Ireland but married, died, and was buried in Virginia. I don't find a Thomas, but Thomas could have been a middle name of any one of the O'Sullivan's I have on record. Do you have more info that might guide me to the one you are searching for? Would love to help and share if I can.

Wendy Haugen (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2004 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan/O'Sullivan
Hi Mary,
All I have at this time is, Owen O'Sullivan came to USA with 2 sons; Thomas J. & Owen D.. They dropped the the "O" sometime shortly after landing in Southern Carolina. I have been hitting a brick wall, as even though Grandma had told me they came from Cork and/or Kerry Co. Ireland, nothing is known of his wife/son's mother. I have his descendants, but nothing on his ancestors or his wife/children's mother. I have his time of death as: abt. 1785...but I am still looking when I can get to the library. There is a book about one of Thomas J. Sullivan's grandsons'; Wild Irish Roots by Ann R. Hammons- it talks about Wild Bill Sullivan from Sullivan's Hollow in Mississippi. Sullivan's Hollow was where the majority of the line of my Sullivans' settled. It is reputed to be a rather 'clannish' place. I've never been there but have heard from those that have been. However, if you're one of the descendents and they recognize your parents or grandparents names, etc. than you may well be greeted most welcome-ly...<sorry the word I needed left me>.
Sorry got off track. But that is all I have on Owen O'Sullivan/Sullivan. I believe at one time the name may have originally been Suilbain <sp?>.

Mary Crowe (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2004 12:57AM GMT
Wendy, I have an Owen Sullivan II, b. 1699, but he was born in America. He died about 1790. Among his 5 children were a James Sullivan and Owen Sullivan, but I can't verify they are yours. Owen Sullivan II was married to Mary Margaret Hewlett, daughter of William Hewlett and Mary Fearne. Mary Margaret was born March 4, 1707. She died and was buried
in Virginia.

Can't remember where I found this info, but the Sullivan name was spelled many, many different ways, such as: Usehullevan, Usuliman, O'Swellivant, O'Sullivan, and Sullivan, plus the one you mentioned!

Have you ever run across a document called "Branches of the Sullivan Family"? I went to Google, typed in the name above and received quite a lot of information. You probably already have this, though.

If you have any more questions or need info, I'll be happy to share.

Mary Crowe

Wendy Haugen (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2004 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan
Hi Mary,
Thank you. That was something I hadn't thought of, 'going to google' I mean. I knew there were variant spellings for Sullivan. But I will check out the google thing. Again, thank you.
Have you had a chance to go to my site yet? There maybe something there that you can use to help you.
http://www.geocities.com/wendy46gen/index.html

Again, thank you. I will let you know if I do find something on that what you mentioned.
Wendy

Posted: 21 May 2004 3:32PM GMT
Good morning. I'll go to your website after I finish this. If you don't mind, maybe we can send our info via email rather than through messge board. My address is marycrowe@earthlink.net. If you had rather continue with message boards, that's fine with me. Have a good day! Mary Ellen

Posted: 16 Jul 2010 12:22AM GMT
hi i'm trying to track family members.... i do know that my great grandfathers name was thomas o sullivan ... married to martha o sullivan (ne jameson )all i know is his family came to wicklow not long before 1911 .. i did have an uncle owen who passed away jan this year 56 years of age ,, also have a patrick, tommy ,noel,arty and michael.. i know there was a great uncle toss o sullivan and great uncle patrick o sullivan.. oh and aunt kate .... and we also originated from cork / kerry ...ant more information always welcome... tough with the o' sullivan name though...

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 10:49PM GMT
Have you looked for your Owen in Washington County, Alabama? I have an ancestor Owen Sullivan who came from "up Nawth" year?? There is some documentation of an Owen Sullivan in local history here.

Posted: 5 Mar 2011 1:04PM GMT
I have an Owen Sullivan(O'Sullivan)born in Carriganes/Ballydesmond Cork in 1794. I know this cant be the same one as yours but the name Owen isnt that popular in this area of Cork/Kerry so thought there might be a connection.
I dont have his father's name but think his mum was a Helen and his siblings were Patrick, Eugene, Margaret and Michael. His wife was a Julia and he had 4 kids that I know of, Daniel, Mary, Patrick and Catherine.

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 10:07PM GMT
Hi Sandra,
The Martha Jameson who was married to your G. Grandfather was a sister of my g. grandfather. Their son Art was married to Sally Kennedy and they were the parents of the uncles you mentioned. The family were born and lived in Rathnew, Co. Wicklow for several generations and some decendants still do.
The Jamesons have been in Rathnew since at least 1820 and I have more info on that side.
Your Uncle Tommy was the first to emigrate to New York, I think and then the other's followed but you probably know all that.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic