Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 9:38AM GMT
Looking for Timothy Oconnor who married Elizabeth Gregg
and arrived in Canada with the Peter Robinson Settlers of

Re: OCONNOR, GREGG

Posted: 5 Feb 2002 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor, Gregg, Sexton
My g-g-g-g-g-grandparents were Timothy O'Connor (b.1786) and Eliza Gregg (b.1788) who came to Canada on the Stakesby from Mallow, Cork. They had Eliza (b.1806, m.5 Feb 1826 to William Green), Jane (b.1808), William (b.1811), Mary (my g-g-g-g-grandmother), Edmund (b.1816), Ellen (b.1819) and Margaret (b.1822). Timothy was a blacksmith. Eliza Greggs parents were Edmond Gregg and Mary Sexton. Is this your family?

Posted: 7 Feb 2002 6:53PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2002 2:49PM GMT
Thank you for answering. Actually I was posting for a friend of mine. Yes, that is the same family. Email me and I will give you her email address.

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor, Connors, Leahy, Leahey, Berrigan
I am renewing my research on Timothy O'Connor of Mallow, County Cork, Ireland. I know that you were assisting a friend who was part of this family. Is it possible to establish contact with your friend to exchange information on this O'Connor family?

I am trying to determine just when Timothy died. I know it was about three years after he arrived in Canada with his wife Elizabeth Gregg and their children.

Regards,
Nancy

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 2:12AM GMT
Surnames: Gregg, Sexton, Meehan
In 1823 my ggg grandparents, William and Francis (Meehan) GREGG along with their three children and William's brother, Michael emigrated from Ireland to Upper Canada as part of the Peter Robinson venture. The Gregg family traveled abroad the Stakesby and were in Pakenham, District of Bathurst, Lanark County, but eventually ended up in Allumette Island, Quebec. Per Michael's marriage record, his parents were Edmond Gregg and Mary Sexton.

I am trying to research Edmond Gregg and Mary Sexton, as well as William and Michael's siblings. Can anyone give me ideas as to where to look at parish records, etc. in Ireland and Canada. Any help would be appreicated.

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Gregg, O'Connor
William Gregg appears to be the brother of my ggg grandmother, Elizabeth Gregg, who came with the second wave of the Robinson group on the Brunswick in 1825 along with her husband Timothy O'Connor and seven children, including both an Edmond, a Mary, a William and a Michael. According to "Peter Robinson's Settlers" By Carol Bennett, Michael moved in for a time with Elizabeth's son William because his (Michael's) land was too poor to farm. Timothy was a blacksmith in Mallow before emigrating and perhaps he met Elizabeth there. Mary O'Connor, William Gregg's niece, married Thomas Leahey and also ended up in in Allumette Island, Quebec.

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor, Connor, Leahy/ey, Berrigan
Hello Thomas O'Connor,
Everything you have written fits perfectly with my family. Timothy and Elizabeth Gregg O'Connor were the parents of my Mary O'Connor who married Thomas Leahy and lived on Allumette Island where they raised their 14 children. My great grandmother was Thomas and Mary's daughter Mariah who married Patrick Berrigan and ended up in North Dakota.

Please note that our Timothy O'Connor, in my addition of Carol Bennetts book, was not included. I hope that further printings corrected this exclusion. I find that there was another Timothy just above where our Timothy should have been. Also they are referred to as Connor, not O'Connor. Easy enough to do. Carols books are great.

Where would you like to go from here?
Regards,
Nancy

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor,Connor, Leahy/ey, Berrigan
Hi, We are talking about the same families of our ancestors. If you have a copy of Carol Bennetts book the Peter Robinson Settlers it pretty much gives us a shove in the right direction. The information is on page 91.

The Gregg and Leahy families were all from Conna, County Cork, Ireland.

Let me know what you do have and I will see if I am able to fill in some blanks.
Regards,
Nancy

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor, Gregg
Yes the Bennett book confuses the 2 "Timothy Connor" families by combining information from both into one entry. The family names are from the "wrong" family, but the part about Timothy dying and the land being claimed by his son William is true about our family. And the Lot 11, Conc. 11 is also our Timothy's land according to my information. Also baptismal records for Timothy's youngest son Michael indicate that Timothy was dead by Jan. 10, 1828, but must have been been still alive in December 1826. I am told that the real estate records show that William began to petition to get title to the land in 1840 and got title to the property in Ramsey in 1848. Then sold in 1851. In those papers, William staes that his father died about 1827. By the 1851 census William had moved with his family, his mother Elizabeth and some of his brothers and sisters to Vittoria, Ontario.

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: Gregg
Do you have any information on Edmond Gregg and Mary Sexton -- the parent’s of William, Michael and Elizabeth GREGG? Do you know of any other siblings? Do you have any birth, death and marriage dates?

Do you know where I can look for parish records, etc. in Ireland and Canada? Besides looking for information in Ireland, I still do not have an exact birth date of my gg grandfather, Michael, who was born somewhere between 1823 and 1827 “in Canada”.

Would it be possible to contact you directly? Puzzles58@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions