Search for content in message boards

SSDI on Rootweb gone

SSDI on Rootweb gone

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I tried to access the RootsWeb SSDI today and got the following message:

"Due to sensitivities around the information in this database, the Social Security Death Index collection is not available on our free Rootsweb service but is accessible to search on Ancestry.com. Visit the Social Security Death Index page to be directly connected to this collection"

I guess ancestry.com has taken over another resource. The search function on Ancestry does no seem to be nearly as easy and useful as the one that was on Rootsweb. Too bad.

Re: SSDI on Rootweb gone

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 10:56PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2011 10:58PM GMT
Yeah, "due to sensitivities..." there doesn't seem to be any sensitivity issue if you pay for the information.

Try this one instead, it's similar.

http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/ssdi

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 8:03PM GMT
Its all about getting people to cough up money for ancestry....My research will now suffere I can't afford the cost. Soon LSD will go way of a paid site too ... nothing is free anymore.

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 12:10AM GMT
Well the root of the issue as I see it is that as a US taxpayer, I already support the SS system, it's administration, record keeping, collection, and management. If Ancestry wants to sell public information, they should be in the business of collecting the information from each individual who passes on.

There's another SSDI free site (at least for now):

http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/ssdi/

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 6:04PM GMT
BWiland,

Ancestry/Rootsweb are one and the same, run by the Morman Church. And the Morman Church is going to eventually take over geneaology online as sort of a monopoly.

Soon you will have to pay for everything to include those items now being added at familysearch.org. Morman Church will rake in the dough. They currently rake in the dough selling half-wit FTM programs that are vile, unmanagable, and just don't work. Supposedly "sync" with AMT. When they finally get this perfected (after selling worthless programs to the public using them as guinea pigs), they will surely shut that aspect of family trees off from the general public until you pay a subsciption of sorts.

You can tell that Ancesty is NOT my favorite organization. Run by a bunch of morons.

Posted: 16 Dec 2011 1:14AM GMT
This has nothing to do with paid, free, LDS, etc. Ancestry is feeling pressure from those who want to remove the SSDI as a step to curb identity theft. They are removing SSN's from the paid side as well, for those who died 10 years ago or less.

Some Congressional leaders have introduced legislation to prevent the Social Security Administration from making the Death Master File accessible to the public, including through Ancestry.com, GenealogyBank or anyone else.

Rootsweb was a free, independent organization, but the people who ran it could not continue to afford to do so. Ancestry.com acquired RootsWeb with the understanding that it would always remain free.

Ancestry.com is NOT run by the LDS (Mormon Church); FamilySearch is. Ancestry.com is based in Utah, and certainly many of their employees are LDS, but it is not owned by the Church. FamilySearch makes their records available to everyone for free.

Ancestry.com is a publicly traded company, and companies must make money if they are to remain in business. It costs money to acquire databases; digitize records; maintain files, servers, employees, etc. Many people use Ancestry Library Edition for free, if their library/organization subscribes to it. Or if cost is a factor, they take advantage of special offers, or they sign up for the smallest membership period available, do research until the membership expires, then either use Library Edition or work through free sites until they can afford to subscribe again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions