Search for content in message boards

Bennett and Peach Orchard Massacre

Bennett and Peach Orchard Massacre

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 3:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Sep 2002 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, Hicks
Is anyone familiar with the Peach Orchard Massacre? Was is actually in Peach Orchard (Clay Co.) AR or was it overseas or in another state? I have a relative, Abner Bennett who was known for his involvement in this and I don't know whether it was a crime or a military related thing. Abner died in Mar. of 1903 in Clay Co, AR. His wife was Lucinda Hicks and his children were Herschel, Rosie, Ada, Willie E (Bed), Dorra. They were poor people and lived in Randolph Co and Clay Co. . I think they were sharecroppers. Lucinda went to marry a Charlie Ford after Abner's death. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Bennett and Peach Orchard Massacre

jerry bennett (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 10:22PM GMT
There was a Peach Orchard Massacre during the civil war at Shilo Tennessee. This is near Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River. The Yankees were saved adn ended up winning due to reinforcments from Pickwick landing. if this is any help or you need more contact me.

Gina James (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2004 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
Jerry,
Thanks so much for the info! I'm glad to finally find out something about the Peach Orchard Massacre. Are you related to any Bennetts that were in the Peach Orchard Massacre? We can't find out anything about Abner. Any family info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Gina James
Researching Beard, Pedigo, James, Bennett, Woodall, Cook, Lairmore and Osmon families
luv2teach@sbcglobal.net

Jerry Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 11:30PM GMT
Sorry, I am trying to get any info on my relatives from that era. I wouldn't know if any of mine where there or not. I think not because I am sure my family comes from Alabama. Any Bennetts from my branch would certainly have been Confederates. The confederate force at Shilo came from Tupelo Mississippi. In fact part of the hiway is still there. The force was actually going somewhere else (I think Memphis area) and woke up in the morning to find something like 20-3000 Union Troops accross the clearing from them. Maybe that is where the drink Sunrise Suprise came from.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 1:42AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions