Search for content in message boards

John Lyon Lambe/Glamis Scotland/b 1431

John Lyon Lambe/Glamis Scotland/b 1431

Posted: 6 Dec 2010 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lyon, Lamb, Lambe, Lyoune
I'm descended from a long line of Lambs. At one point here on ancestry.com, much father back than I personally had information for, I see many folks with trees that have Patrick Lyon, 1st Lord of Glamis, b. 1402. His son in most cases is listed at John Lyon Lambe, b. 1431. From then on the line seems to have dropped the Lyon name and continued on with the Lambe name.

I'm looking for documentation or information as to why this name change happened. Is this actually accurate? Please advise, thanks.

Re: John Lyon Lambe/Glamis Scotland/b 1431

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 8:47AM GMT
I am wondering the same thing, I got my info from other trees. I am also from the Lamb Clan.

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 8:48PM GMT
I have the same issue with another ancestor who also had a titled father. It may be, and I'm speculating, that the son takes the tile as a last name. Glamis=Lambe. One of my ancestors was a Holland who became the Earl of Huntington, his son went from John Holland to John Huntington and the name passed down as Huntington. Either that, or both branches of my family are delusional and attach themselves randomly to a title when the info ends. Unlikely coincidence.

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 8:54PM GMT
Very interesting. Thank you for posting!

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 6:11PM GMT
Well this person is in my line of Lamb also and I have done a lot of research into the Lamb name it has been spelled many different ways because spelling was how it sounded. I also with another family line with royals and lords with royals the last name drops off and there is no last name just a title. With lords and barons I have seen when they are from another country the last name or title gets translated into English.

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: Lyon Lamb Lambe
The more I look into this the more I question it. Even in the Lyon/Lambe name change could be explained, I can't explain why John Lyon/Lambe was born and died in Scotland, but his son was supposedly born in England, and all Lamb descendents then are in England. I've been digging for documentation on this. Anyone have anything official you can point me to? Thanks!

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 6:03AM GMT

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 12:23PM GMT
That is interesting, indeed! Unless I missed it somewhere, though, it doesn't include an explanation of how the "Lambe" ended up being added on to the Lyon name at that point. Obviously the Lyon line still exists as we know the Queen of England is in that line! But where did this "Lambe" line come from?

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 7:24PM GMT
ok I must not have put that link up but I have seen one that John took lambe which in translation is the meaning of lyon and what his fathers title was. I will look for the link and post it here.

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 4:58AM GMT
http://about.nsw.gov.au/collections/doc/john-lamb-lyon/

http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/Tokens/Religious.shtml#L...

the first one is a documentation in a governemnt publication that carries both the name lamb and lyon

the second link might explain how the lambe and lyon got changed. I have read that john was the second son of the baron and took the meaning title of the land which was lambe.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions