Search for content in message boards

John Preston - New Jersey 1880s

John Preston - New Jersey 1880s

Posted: 28 Aug 2000 7:48AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2003 12:49PM GMT
Looking for connections with a John Preston who came over from England around 1860 - lived in New York and settled in New Jersey. Had many sons and daughters. Lived to be 100 yrs old. Had farm near Mammouth NJ.

Thanks.
Thomas.

Prestons in N.J.

David Preston (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2000 5:39PM GMT
I have tracked my Great GRandfather James Preston down to Robbinsville New Jersy. Could this be one of Johns Sons?

Preston's of New Jersey

Posted: 20 Sep 2000 8:44AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2003 12:49PM GMT
I have 2 James Preston's in the family.
One born 1852 and the other 1825.
Both were born in England. They were a part of the Preston family that stayed there to get married. Some later came here and John was in New Jersey by the start of the Civil War. One son stayed in New York City and owned a butcher shop.
Give me some dates and any other names you might have. The town name doesn't hit but John settled in Manmouth(?) or Madison Twnsp.
His kids went all over. He lived to be 104 yrs.

John David Preston NJ 1900's

Posted: 9 Oct 2000 11:54AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2005 3:12AM GMT
Dear Thomas,

My great-great grandfather was John David Preston. According to the 1900 federal census, he was born in NY, with his parents born in Ireland. He immigrated in 1857 and worked on the railroad. Living in Independence Township, Warren County, NJ with him were:

Bridget A (Anna), wife, born 1857.
John D, son, born 1879.
Mary E, dtr, born 1881.
Katie, dtr, born 1883.
Edward F, son, born 1885.
George W, son, born 1887.
Hannah, dtr, born 1888.
Anna, dtr, born 1890. (My great grandmother.)
Henry, son, born 1897.
Walter, son, born 1899.
Michael, father, born 1819.

All children are listed as born in NY. I don't recall any talk about NY from my grandmother. Unfortunately she has passed so I can't ask her. The family later lived in Bayonne, where my great-grandmother met my great-grandfather, Frank O'Donnell.

The 1922-23 Bayonne City Directory lists the following Prestons:
Catherine 164 Orient
Frank (Josephine) eng 19 E 44th
Jas (Bella) pkr 595 Bway
Jno (Margt) plmbr 334 Av A
Jno E foremn 164 Orient
Jos 19 E 44th
Mollie sten 334 Av A
Thos A 98 W 40th
Walter pipeftr 164 Orient

Please let me know if you think there's a match. Thank you.

tiriba@aol.com

John David Preston-- see message

Posted: 9 Oct 2000 11:56AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2005 3:12AM GMT
David-
Please read the message I posted on 10/09/2000. Thank you.

John David Preston

Jodie (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2000 12:19PM GMT
Thank You for your response. Unfortunately it looks like your list does not match up to mine at all. Very close in some cases, but not close enough. Your Great Great Grandfather and mine could be relations of some sort, but it does not look right. My Great Grand father was James Allen Preston. Thanks again for your response

Re: John David Preston

Posted: 17 Jan 2002 4:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
My Gr. Grandfather was also James Allen Preston, He had at least one son that I know of Charles Crawford Preston. That ia my Grandfather. My Grandfathers mother was Dezair Van Arsdale, but I am not sure that James and Dezair were really ever married

Re: Preston's of New Jersey--Martha Preston Smith

Posted: 12 Jan 2003 10:42PM GMT
Hi, I am looking for information on a Martha Preston who married Terrence Smith. They lived in New Jersey. When Terrence was 19 he lived in Middlesex County. Terrence was born in 1881. I am actually descended from the Smith family but am hoping contact with the Preston family might give me some info on the Smith family.

Re: John Preston - New Jersey 1880s

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 4:10PM GMT
thomas- my grandmother was murial preston- johns daughter and yes she was born and raised in morganville n.j. - she married william august ludwig jr and had 3 children. Muruel passed in '06 just shy of 93. I believe the youngest daughter is still alive and lives with her husband somewhere on or near stowe vt. I know her husband was a ski patrol there into his 80s. last i saw them was at my grandmothers funeral. they would make the trip down to keyport nj for holidays every so often. I'm pretty sure that there were i think 12 kids- I believe 2 or 3 died early

Re: John Preston - New Jersey 1880s

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 7:08PM GMT
Cousin,
Have you done much research into the Prestons both here in the USA and back in England?

My Great GrandMother was Elizabeth Preston who married Daniel Witter Higgins.

Let me know if we can exchange information.

Thanks
Tom.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic