Search for content in message boards

Zerelda Elizabeth Cole--Jesse James' Mother

Zerelda Elizabeth Cole--Jesse James' Mother

Posted: 8 Aug 2002 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole--Douglas---???????????????
I am researching the Zerelda Cole family in search of my connection. I am suppose to be somehow related to Jesse James & Cole Younger. So I'm asking for any info on Zerelda Cole. I have some info on her from the Jesse James Gang Family History website. I know she was married 3 times. I have a list of all her children. What I need to know is Zerelda's brothers & sisters, aunts & uncles, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. Anyone with any info on Zerelda Elizabeth Cole, please contact me. Also, did Zerelda have any Indian blood? If so, what kind? Any info on Zerelda's parents--James Cole & Sarah "Sallie" Lindsay and their family members would be helpful.Looking forward to hearing from you.

Re: Zerelda Elizabeth Cole--Jesse James' Mother

Posted: 19 Sep 2002 5:55AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2002 4:26AM GMT
My grandfather George W. Cole was born around 1879 in Illinois and married my grandmother Sarah Blanche Gideon also born in Illinois around 1882. It is our understanding, that she was married to Cole Younger before my grandfather. She was of indian decent. do you have any info that will verify this.

susan cole bakenhaster (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2002 2:43PM GMT
Chuck--

At this time I'm still uncertain. Can you help me out a little more?

My grandfather was said to have had a brother or uncle by the name of George. Do you know who your grandfather George's parents or brothers & sisters, etc. were? That would help me to figure out if we are talking about the same George. Also, where in Illinois was your grandfather George born?

Do you know what indian bloodline your grandmother Sarah was from?
Did Sarah & Cole Younger have any children?
Was George Cole & Cole Younger related?
Do you know who Cole Younger's parents, brothers & sisters, etc. were?

Thanks for replying to my message. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Susan Cole Bakenhaster.

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 5:27PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2002 4:26AM GMT
Susan,

I don't have any information on Cole Younger and he was not related to George Cole but, I have the following information.
John Cole married Eliza Foster on Nov. 12, 1867 in Christian County, Illinois. (Illinois Statewide Index - online).
The 1880 Everyname Census shows the following: Mt. Auburn, Christian County, Illinois - Page 591C.
Eliza Cole-keeping house-f-widowed-IL-(IL/IL)
John F. Cole-at school-10-IL-(IL/IL)
Charles E. Cole-8-IL-(IL/IL)
GEORGE W. COLE-3-IL-(IL/IL)
J.B. COLE-6 months-IL-(IL/IL)
John was married before and had a son named William and two daughters, Josephine and Alice.
My grandmother was Sarah BlancheGideon-born Feb. 14, 1881-Boliva, IL-(IL/IL). She's the one we heard was married to Cole Younger before George W. Cole.
Her parents were John Gideon and Alice Harrison. They were
married in Christian County, IL., June 5, 1880.
I hope this will help. Please let me know if you have any information I can use.
Thanks

Posted: 4 Oct 2003 3:16PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2003 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Cole
Zerelda had a brother named Jesse Richard, her grandfather was Richard Cole b. 1-29-1825. Zerelda went to live with her uncle James M. Lindsay in Stamping Ground, Scott Co. (I think this is in KY). She went to a Catholic Convent school in nearby Georgetown, KY. This is where she met Robert Sallee James, from Logan Co. KY.

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 2:41PM GMT
Surnames: cole
Zerelda Cole was a sister of my great-grandfather Wiley Cole from South Carolina orginally and later Mo. From there the family splintered and Wiley moved to Wallowa County Oregon, where he raised 18 childern. He never liked talking of his famous nephew. But i do have in my house a beautiful picture of Zereldra, do not know how I ended up with it? If yopu want more info , there are great family Cole books put together by other Cole relatives. If you want I could hook you up? Hope this helps Carole

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 2:45PM GMT
I believe that Indian blood your searching for is really Black. Slaves were kept by the Cole family in South Carolina. My whole life I have heard hushed wispers about the possibilty of there being inter breeding in our family.Carole

Posted: 7 Apr 2005 5:18AM GMT
Would love to have any and all info you have on Wiley P. Cole. Please e-mail .

Posted: 11 Apr 2005 10:19PM GMT
I would like info on Wiley P. Cole. Do you have any info on his parents? I can not find that he was related to Zerelda. What documentation do you have that he was? Wiley was my ggg grandfather. Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Susan Bakenhaster (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2005 1:24AM GMT
I have not heard of a Wiley P. Cole. Please check the other replies to my message board. Someone else must have sent a reply to me about Wiley P. Cole. I don't believe I stated his name. I have a list of relatives to Zerelda Cole-James, but no mention of Wiley P. Cole. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Good luck in your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions