Search for content in message boards

Jawornik/Jawirnyk

Jawornik/Jawirnyk

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Jawornik [jaˈvɔrɲik] (Ukrainian: Явірник, Yavirnyk) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Komańcza, within Sanok County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, in south-eastern Poland, close to the border with Slovakia.[1] It lies approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) north-east of Komańcza, 23 km (14 mi) south of Sanok, and 76 km (47 mi) south of the regional capital Rzeszów.

Searching for anyone who comes from this village or descendants.

Re: Jawornik/Jawirnyk

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: Gorzynik - Bialas -
Hi
I've done research into this area. Both of my paternal grandparents were baptized in Jawornik.
My grandfather, John Bialas B1872, son of Joseph and Antonina Zajac and grandmother Angela Gorzynik B1873, daughter of Francis Gorzynik and Maria Cuiba. I have travelled to this village 2 years ago and will return in Sept of this year.
We found cousins - descendants of Francis Gorzynik who are still living there. It was an amazing discovery for all of us.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 4:42AM GMT
thank you for writing!

I too have done research for this village and surrounding villages. I was there 2 times and went for a good hike.
-----------
I do remember seeing the surname Bialas and I do remember seeing the surname Zajac in some of the close villages as well. My family was Greek Catholic.
Have you searched the films from the Family Search .org
library? I have done some family trees for Pinczak and Sauczak from Jawirnyk and also my great grandmogther Ksenia Jawornicka was born in Jawirnyk. Other names are Karlitski,
Onyszkanycz and Chalupa and Wakeriak.Do you know other people from Jawirnyk?
It is so nice that you get to go again and to find some family. I too want to go again and speak to the older
people before it is too late especially in Komancza.
It is very rare that you found family still find family there. Most are in NOrth Poland or Ukraine. My family was also from Czystohorb and we are trying to arrange to put up a monument for the village and put a fence around the old cemetery. There is no one left from the village and there is a man that lives there that says the cemetery belongs to him and does not want to allow this!
How can he own a historic site? Anyway I have some people over there who are getting the Mayor of Komancza ,this guy and the Roman Catholic Priest to have a meeting to see what can be done. Please let me know if you need any information from the church records. I also have some friends there now like a driver and a place to stay and the Greek Catholic Priest in Komancza etc.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 5:58PM GMT
Hi Dianne
How nice to hear from someone who shares the same ancestors'
location. I also loved the area surrounding the villages.
My sister and I travelled with a genealogist who drove us around and found the amazing connection to family. We are RC and have looked in the parish registers in several different churches. I also have used the films from Family Search.
I am sad that we do not share any ancestor names. My brick wall seems to be my maternal grandfather, Francis Rzuczek.
I have not been able to find any immigration records for him, but I have found his brother. The village listed as his residence is GODOWA, the home village of my grandmothers' family, the Hajduks. The priest at the church in Godowa was very kind and helpful. The priest at the parish in Jawornik was very busy and only spent about 1/2 hour with us. The civil registers were very helpful in finding the Gorzynik family.
Thank you so much for your kind offers. When I return in September, we will once again use the services of our tour guide/genealogist, who has now become a friend.
I will be happy to share any new information when we return.
Take care and thanks again for yet one more connection.
Kindly, Fran

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 3:29PM GMT
The Zajac and Bialas,they were Greek Catholic?
Would this part of your family be in the Gr.C. LDS film?
I think it is fantastic that you have a geneaologist
that is helping you in Poland. Do you speak Polish?
I have learned to read and write in Polish but not speak
but I speak Ukrainian. When i go there I usually ask the
guy in the travel office at the Gmina Komancza to translate for me in the archive office as they have the records for Czystohorb and jawirnyk and other villages.
Do you stay in contact with the geneaologist? If you do could you please ask a question for me? I have been trying for 4 years to find out how I can get the(greek catholic church) birth dates for my two uncles who were born 1919 and 1924.in Komancza. We need these for the monuments at the cemeteries and also for my family tree. At the Gmina Komancza the woman there is not so willing to help with the searches. I hope to go there again maybe I will even go in the fall .we are not allowed to view the records like other places.If you can please ask the geneaologist this question
for me. If he can help me with this search i will gladly send payment for his time.

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 5:12PM GMT
Hi,
In reply to your message and questions:
My family is Roman Catholic, not Greek Catholic, so I'm sure we have been looking at different LDS films.
I am very fortunate to have found a good friend in Zenon Znamirowski who has posted a large wealth of information on his website, forum and facebook. All of this information can be searched by logging on to polishorigins.com.
He also has a message board relating to surnames, genealogy etc in Poland.
He has been especially helpful to me since I do not speak, read or write in Polish. When we met with him two years ago, he was so patient, asking relative questions at churches and public agencies and then repeating all the answers in English.
Not only is he and his website my go-to source now, I feel I have also made a new friend as we do keep in touch.
I will forward your question to him, but this is his busy season, so it may take a while to receive a response.
Please take advantage of his website and post on his message board.
You can also reach him directly by emailing
zenon@polishorigins.com

Wising you success in your search.
Kindly, Fran

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 5:29PM GMT
Thank you for passing on the information.
I am hoping to find out some historic information about
jawirnyk so if you have any details please let me know.
Are any of the older people still around that came from
there ,Jawirnyk?

Posted: 19 May 2014 7:29PM GMT
Hi, I am researching my great grandfather, Samuel/Simko/Simon Olenycz/Olianich/Olanich from Jawornik. We visited the site of the village in 2009 -- very pretty -- but kind of haunting and sad. My great grandfather's mother was "Pajsa Olenycz" -- her maiden name was something like Welchik -- according to his death certificate. I'm wondering if it might have been Ulczak but I'm not sure. His father was John/Ivan Olenycz. My great grandfather had step siblings, Peter and Stephan Krysyna (Cresina and Kresena in the US). My great grandfather's mother, Pajsa Olenycz, was alive as of 1913 when my great grandfather's brother, Mikolaj Olenycz, came to the US -- so I think that their mother may have married the father of Peter and Stephan Krysyna.

Posted: 19 May 2014 11:06PM GMT
Thank you for writing. It has been difficult to find people who's ancestors originated from this village. I personally know some that originated from there. Surname Pinczak and Onuszkanycz.and Chalupa. But it has been diffucult to get any photos or historical details. I too vistited the area in 2010 and 2011. My family is from Czystohorb nearby. We met some people and hiked through Javirnyk and the other villages. I have been able to find some historic photos on line but not much else. Also there is history I have found and have to put it together.because I need to translate from Polish and Ukrainian. I am just wondering if you have seen the LDS films regarding Jawirnyk. If not I have the greek Catholic church records and will go on Thursday to view the records.starting 1784 Let me know if you have already done this. My great grandmother was also from Javirnyk her name was Jawornitska.Please tell me what you were able to find out so far. Here is a map of the area.Also have you had contact with the archive office in Komancza or Prsemysl? I just need to know what you have researched already since you know the nameof your great great grandmother.
Attachments:

Posted: 19 May 2014 11:28PM GMT
Hi, thanks so much for your reply! I actually emailed the archive in Komancza today, but based on what people say online, the staff aren't particularly amenable to helping. Hopefully I'll have better luck. I wrote to Prszemsyl and they directed me to the Komancza archive. It sounds like the Komancza archive might not have the 1888 birth records which would include my great grandfather's record. Samuel had a brother, Mikolaj, born in 1891 and he came to the US in 1913. As of sailing to the US in 1913 his mother "Pajsa Olenycz" was still alive. I think that she probably remarried after John/Ivan Olenycz died -- which was likely between 1891 and 1905, because by the time my ggf came to the US, he was going to stay with this step brother, Petro Krysyna, born in 1881. My great grandfather (who I've also seen go by Simon/Simeon Olenycz) also had a stepbrother named Stefan Krysyna who was born in 1877. I would be so grateful for any records that you are able to locate re: the Olenycz, Krysyna, Welchik/Ulczak or something like that families. Thank you so much! I will look forward to hearing from you. I haven't looked at the LDS Jawornik records -- I reviewed some of the Rzepedz records on microfilm but I found them hard to read and confusing and I didn't have much time (new baby at the time).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions