Cottage Cemetery (Black) in Emporia

Cottage Cemetery (Black) in Emporia

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
This post was deleted by the author on 25 Jun 2012 8:12PM GMT

Re: Cottage Cemetery (Black) in Emporia

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 4:47PM GMT
I recently went there looking for my relatives. The area is severly overgrown and I did not have the proper footwear to investigate. I could also not get any information on it. It is located adjacent to another cemetary. I think it is on Halifax Street.

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 9:37PM GMT
Thanks! I think the cemetery on Halifax St is Forest Lawn Cemetery. Do you know anyone/business that may have records for Forest Lawn and Cottage cemeteries? I't virtually impossible to research Virginia vital records not to mention the fees! Do you know if the "black" funeral homes in Emporia would have any records? Who maintain the cemeteries? I would think that there should be a centralized point/person that allot plots and collect monies for the plots! Any additional info you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 10:44PM GMT
I am going to check with my cousins. I went to Emporia this past summer, and went to the Vital Records office. Baby let me tell you, I spent about $300 on records. Forest Lawn is the name of the cemetery, but the Cottage Cemetery is behind it. There is another Black cemeteray, Zion, I think on Lowground road.

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 11:28PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 25 Jun 2012 8:27PM GMT

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 12:22AM GMT
The courthouse is a wonderful place to go. I got deeds, and wills and marriage licenses! 50 cents a copy. but you have to do your own research, but once you see how the books are organized, it's a breeze.

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 12:32AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 25 Jun 2012 8:27PM GMT

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 12:35AM GMT
when, and what families are you researching? My dad and I flew from New orleans and we stayed a week, and a week wasn't long enough for me. I am going back again this summer.

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 1:44AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 25 Jun 2012 8:15PM GMT

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 11:27AM GMT
That would be great!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions