Search for content in message boards

Cary family of Portarlington, Ireland

Cary family of Portarlington, Ireland

Posted: 22 Jun 2004 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Was the Cary family of Portarlington, Ireland, any relation to Sir Henry Cary, Viceroy of Irelend, 1622-1629?

Re: Cary family of Portarlington, Ireland

Ronnie Mathews (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2004 2:00PM GMT
Yes there was a Portarlington connection with the Viceroy.
But another (important?) Cary family lived here for up to five generations whom I do not believe were of the same lineage.
This family, of which I have several records,were members of the Protestant community, while at least two other Car(e)y families were Catholics.
Would gladly share what I have.
Ronnie Mathews, Portarlington

Jeanne (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2004 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Delany Dulany Dulaney Delaney
Ronnie -

Actually I was wondering if there was a Cary connection to the Viceroy Cary because Paul Delaune was his physician and wondered if he would have had some possible link to Portarlington.

Do you know if any Delany family resided at Portarlington, a Thomas Delany family or a Denis Delany family, in particular.

Jeanne

Fran Wooldridge (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2004 12:28AM GMT
I am trying to establish a Cary family in Ireland that had ties to Lucius Cary, Lord Falkland. I am also trying to see if this a Cary married into the McConnell family in Ireland. The McConnell line associated with the Cary family emigrated to Canada around 1820. My McConnell family is littered with Lucius, Arthur, Allen, and Cary first and middle names, but I have not made the actual connection yet between the two families.

Fran

Posted: 7 Aug 2004 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Cary
If you look up Debretts Peerage, and Burkes Landed Gentry & Burke's Commoners, you will find that all the Carys under Falkland, Hunsdon, Rochfort, Monmouth, Cockington, Torre Abbey & Follaton are all descended from Sir William of Cockington through either one of his 2 wives. The Viscounts of Falkland are descended from the 2nd wife, Agnes or Alice Fulford. The Carys of Torre Abbey are descended through the first wife, Elizabeth Paulet/Powlett, and were the ones with Irish connections, various members being 1. Peter, a captain in Cromwell's forces who died in Ire 1670, had a son born in co. Cork 2.Sir George 1541-1616 of Cockington, Lord Treasurer of Ire, Lord Deputy of Ire who dies without issue. 3.George d.1640 of Redcastle co. Donegal, Ire Recorder of Londonderry who married Jane BERESFORD (dau of Sir Tristram from whom also descended Marquis of Waterford). This family settled in Ire with descendants at WhiteCastle and Dungiven Castle, but I think the male line died out.

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 1:57AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2004 6:51PM GMT
I just saw your message about a Carey family who imigrated to Canada in 1820, Would you know what part of Canada they came to....I have my gr.gf John Carey born in Newfoundland in 1821 but I can't get back and further, I know he was Catholic Irish and married Mary Whelton in 1843 in New Brunswick Canada,,, but that's all I have on him....Judy

Posted: 18 Nov 2004 7:27AM GMT
Surnames: Cary
I don't think this branch is the one you are looking for. Our Carys of Portarlington were a Protestant family. The head of the Irish line was Mordecai Cary, the anglican Bishop of Killala, co. Mayo, who was originally from England.
Jay H

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2006 6:30AM GMT
Hi there,
I saw the above e-mail, and was hoping you could assist. I am tracking the Lanes of Kings Bromley. In my tree, George Car(e)y of Redcastle, Donegal (d 1640) married Jane Beresford, and they had issue. One of their children, Colonel Francis Cary, of Redcastle, Donegal, married an Avice? Vaughan (Sister of Captain Henry Vaughan 1621 - 1695). One of their issue, "Miss Car(e)y married William Lane of Coleraine and Ballycarton. Do you have any information on this "Miss Car(e)y"??

If you are tracking the Carey family, go to www.tudorplace.com.ar/CAREY.htm - wonderful information available!!!

Regards, Michelle

Posted: 1 Dec 2006 7:52AM GMT
Surnames: Cary, Beresford, Vaughan, Hamilton, Blacker, Newburgh, Craddock
The only information I have on that particular family is as follows:

George d.1640 of Redcastle co. Donegal, Ire Recorder of Londonderry
= Jane BERESFORD (dau of Sir Tristram from whom also descended Marquis of Waterford)
1. Francis of Redcastle d<.1670 = Avice VAUGHAN d.1670
1.a. ?George of Redcastle d.1669
1.a.i ?George = Elizabeth d.1759

2. Robert d.1681 of White Castle, Ire
2.a. Edward d.1686 of Dungiven Castle, Ire
2.a.i. Edward
2.a.i.A. Henry of Dungiven d.1757 = Anne HAMILTON (of George of Milburn who was brother of General Fred Hamilton)
2.a.i.A.1 Rt Hon. Edward dsp 1743 = Lady Jane BERESFORD (dau of Marquis of Tyrone) d.1716
2.a.i.A.2 Frederick (took name HAMILTON) 2.a.i.A.2.a - daughter
2.a.i.A.3 Letitia = William BLACKER
2.a.i.A.3.a- Henry
2.a.i.A.4 Martha 1= Thomas NEWBURGH and 2= Dean CRADDOCK

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2006 11:15AM GMT
Thanks so much for your help.
Every little bit counts.

Michelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions