Search for content in message boards

Cooper siblings Hudson, Milo, Martin & Eleanora in Stevens Point

Cooper siblings Hudson, Milo, Martin & Eleanora in Stevens Point

Posted: 10 Sep 2008 2:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: cooper, doty, winchell
I have found the family in the 1850 fed. census (Burton, Cattaraugus, NY) and also in 1860 (Amity, Allegany, NY, post office Belmont).
In 1850, children are listed as Hudson (b. abt 1833), Miles (aka Milo, b. abt 1836), Martin (b. abt 1838) and Leonora (aka Eleanora, b. 1842) These four are my ancestors.
Also listed are two Winchell children (Maria & Ivantha) plus an adult male, age 27, named Aaron WOOD.
In that 1850 census, the parents are listed as William E. Winchell and Margaret Winchell. I'm assuming that the mother must have remarried, but I don't know.

In 1860, the last few family members were living in Amity - W.E. Winchell and wife Margaret along with daughters Eleanora and Cordelia. The three sons had moved to Stevens Point, Wisconsin before 1860.
Eleanora married Chauncey Doty in Belmont in 1861 and they also moved to Stevens Point, Wisconsin in abt. 1865. Cordelia Winchell moved to Stevens Point also and lived out her life.
I'm trying to find the maiden name and information on the mother and father of Hudson, Milo, Martin and Eleanora Cooper plus any information on why they lived with Mr. Winchell. I'm guessing that Mr. Cooper (father) died sometime before 1850 and then his wife remarried.
Any information you have would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Cooper siblings Hudson, Milo, Martin & Eleanora in Stevens Point

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 8:57PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 8:57PM GMT
Elenora Doty b. 12 Sept 1842 d. 10 Sept 1899 Buried Forest Cemetery, Stevens Point, Portage County, WI. Maybe her d.c. will have parents names.
Hudson Cooper d. 4 Aug 1886 @ Junction City, age 54y5m12d.
You can find him in census 1880/1885 MN with wife Manetta. His obit listed two sisters Mrs. Chauncy Doty of Sherry WI (Wood County). So perhaps Elenora Cooper Doty died in Wood County,WI. Also mentioned sister Mrs. Henry St. Pierre of Linwood, WI. Hudson Cooper buried Episcopal Cemetery aka Forest Cemetery.
Milo Cooper, Civil War Soldier.
Will try to find more for you.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:00PM GMT
Hi:
I already have extensive information on all these people as well as documents, death certificates, military records, etc..
The only thing I don't have is what happened to the father of Milo, Hudson, etc. Cooper.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:34PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 9:34PM GMT
Alright then. I did see in the 1855 Census Margaret _______ Cooper Winchell was born 1801 Delaware County, NY. Did you check the 1840 Census for Cooper in Cattaraugus, NY area ?

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:56PM GMT
Hi:
Yes, I have that. She lived in Grove at that time, but was the head of household. I'm trying to find out what happened to her husband.
Did you find the 1855 census online? I paid a researcher a few years ago to gather the info which she did. If the 1855 is online, please send me a link.
Are you related?
Carol

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 9:58PM GMT
Hi:
Never mind - I just found the 1855 in Family Search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic