Search for content in message boards

POWELL - INDIAN TERRITORY - OKLAHOMA

POWELL - INDIAN TERRITORY - OKLAHOMA

Posted: 19 Nov 2002 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
George Washington Powell was born 1847 in Alabama. He was living at age 13 in Marshall County 1860 Census with
Lewis Powell (1779-) and George W. Thrasher family. After that census I find no record of him. I know he was there
during the Civil War. Before 1876 he was in Marshall County, Mississippi and was married to Sarah Gassaway (of
Tennessee). In 1880 Census of Marshall now Benton County:
Powell, G. W. head 34 AL AL AL
Powell, S. M. wife 34 GA TN SC
Powell, J. W. son 16 AL AL AL
Powell, William W. son 08 AL AL GA
Powell, J.[ames] F.[ranklin] son 06 MS AL GA
Powell, B.[ryant] M.[ichael] son 04 MS AL GA
Powell, Susan dau 9/12 MS AL GA born September
Edwards, Mary neice 06 AL AL GA

George’s last child, Rosalie Powell was born 1886 somewhere in Arkansas.
In the 1900 Census of Sequoyah, Indian Territory (about 13-miles south of Sallisaw) Sarah has died and George is alone with the
last 3-children: James F.; Bryant M. and Rosalie.

(1). I am trying to identify the two oldest sons, J. W. Powell (c.1864-) & William W. Powell (c.1872-) both born in Alabama. One
family story says my grandfather, Bryant Michael, had a 1/2 brother named “Walter”.

(2). Where in Arkansas did Sarah Gassaway-Powell die?
(3). When and where did George Powell (1847-) die. Family story says he is buried in Star Cemetery, Haskell County, Oklahoma.
We have been unable to locate any information or a gravesite.
Any information is helpful...
Hannah Powell email: meeem@sbcglobal.net

Re: POWELL - INDIAN TERRITORY - OKLAHOMA

Posted: 2 Mar 2006 4:03AM GMT
i am also doing research for jim powell out of mcalester,ok on the powell genealogy and the gassaway side. i have about the same info. jim powell's paternal father was earl. earl' parents were james franklin powell and florida martin. james dad was george washington powell and sara gassaway.. sara died somewhere around 1900 near sallisaw,ok. supposedly gw powell is buried at the star cemetary at briartown. a ella cash powell was buried there in 1930. i would be glad to share info with you. louise mitchell

Re: POWELL - INDIAN TERRITORY - OKLAHOMA

Hannah Powell (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2006 6:07PM GMT
Hi Louise, so glad to hear from you. Please contact me at:
meeem@sbcglobal.net

I'm really excited to find you. We also have the DNA test done and some interesting info is beginning to tell a story.
Hannah Powell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions