Search for content in message boards

Podkarpackie towns

Podkarpackie towns

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 8:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi all,
DNA matches are linking my grandfather to this area, I have a couple town names that I know are incorrectly spelled (they were probably written phonetically.

Looking for Beretski or Bretski (taken from 1920 census record)
Looking for town=Zara state= Siga - or g could be z, y (taken from WWI Draft registration)
WWI Draft registration is attached to message look at place of birth for

Family lived in Fayette County Pennsylvania, possibly arriving in about 1909-10

Thanks
Lisa
Attachments:

Re: Podkarpackie towns

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 12:18AM GMT
Lisa
What is the surname of your ancestor? What other US document have you located on him? Anything like church marriage record or church baptismal record which could have a better spelling of his place of birth.

What was language of this ancestor? What did your ancestor considered himself to be? Do you have your ancestor's arrival manifest?

Thank you for attaching a draft registration form but as you know the office clerk wrote it as heard.

Re: TRIMBATH / TREMBATH

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 12:35AM GMT
Lisa,
Is this already an Americanized version of your ancestor's surname? In this form sure does not seem Slavic - Ruthenian.

map of Austria-Hungary empire
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/austhung.htm
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
http://brainworker.ch/Oesterreich/Austria-hungary.png do tell us if a region like Galicia was ever mentioned.

Was your ancestor naturalized citizen? Did he have social security numbers?

Beretski could be a location Bereska, Galicia
or a name of county Bereg in old Hungary.

Re: TRIMBATH SS-5Form

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:24AM GMT
Lisa
Your ancestor did have social security numbers.
Have you already requested his SS-5Form? Costs $27 but it should have his place of birth and parents names.

Name: Charles Trimbath
State of Issue: Pennsylvania
Date of Birth: Tuesday December 31, 1895
Date of Death: January 1987
Est. Age at Death: 91 years

You might want to check into an intent & petition. Possible he was naturalized.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:32AM GMT
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, Trimbath is the name of the family that informally adopted my grandfather, he took their surname which is English, unfortunately his original surname is unknown.

I have found numerous US records for this ancestor, beginning in 1917 when he married.
1917 Marriage License birth: Austia
1917 WWI Draft Registration birth: Zara Sigar Austria Hungary
1918-1928 Church records children's baptisms: no birthplace listed
1920 Census: birth Beretski, Austria
1930 Census: birth Czechoslovakia
1936 SSN Application: birth Haston, Cambria Pennsylvania ?
1940 Census: birth Pennsylvania
1942 WWII Draft Registration: birth Cambria County PA
1956 Application for Miners Pension: birth Austria

He was never naturalized (I've checked) and he did not file an Alien Registration Form in the 1940's (I requested and nothing was found)

He might have been Polish or Ruysn, married in Roman Catholic Church but walked to nearby town to attend other (possibly Russian Orthodox or Greek Catholic church, checked for records from each church nothing found.

I have a website with information about him at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bakerroots...

Also I have considered the town of Zara or Zadar in Dalmatia, however DNA matches are placing him closer to the Ukraine.
Thanks for any help.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:39AM GMT
Thank you Lisa. I just sent of an e-mail to you as I found the address in one of your posts.
Have you considered request a church marriage record? The license never has a place of birth.
No notation Na- on 1930 census? How about a WWll registration form?
A bit unusual him not filing an Alien Registration Form?
Sometimes our ancestors would put down Austria and should Hungary but since your ancestor put down Czechoslovakia than possibly he was from Ruthenia region www.cgsi.org which is now Ukraine.

Why was he adopted?

Beretski could be the Bereg megye that I mentioned in previous post.

Re:TREMBETZ

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:00AM GMT
Lisa, if I could crack the Americanized version of MEDLECK, VAINGAR, TEREMBITZ, TREMBETZ or TREMBATZ it would something. Being that English is my second language the spelling you have found on US documents is all "??" to me.

I think the ancestors had to have been birds of a same feather - common tradition and common dialect to communicate in. If both ancestors would have been Rusyn than the location would not play a role.

BUKS^AR in 1995 in Slovakia
Priezvisko BUKŠÁR sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 33×, celkový počet lokalít: 9, v lokalitách:
SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 10×;
LIESKOVANY, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 8×;
MARKUŠOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 6×;
ARNUTOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 2×;
SEREĎ, okr. GALANTA – 2×;
STARÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 2×;
MATEJOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 1×;
NEMEŠANY, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 LEVOČA) – 1×;
LAMAČ (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;

Maybe MEDLECK could be MIDLIK [all in pronounciation]
TREMBAC^ also in Slovakia:
Priezvisko TREMBÁČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 45×, celkový počet lokalít: 11, v lokalitách:
POPRAD, okr. POPRAD – 10×;
HNIEZDNE, okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA – 7×;
KOLAČKOV, okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA – 6×;
KEŽMAROK, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) – 4×;
SPIŠSKÁ BELÁ, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) – 4×;
VEĽKÁ (obec POPRAD), okr. POPRAD – 4×;
NIŽNÉ RUŽBACHY, okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA – 3×;
STARÁ TURÁ, okr. TRENČÍN (od r. 1996 NOVÉ MESTO NAD VÁHOM) – 3×;
JABLONEC, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) – 2×;
LUČIVNÁ, okr. POPRAD – 1×;
RAKÚSY, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) – 1×;
Most location are in Spis region [Szepes megye]

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:04AM GMT
Hi,
I have a copy of the entry the priest made in the marriage book at the church, he was skimpy on this entry :-(

Basically it says, Karolus Trimbath and Maria Buksar 1917 May 15, along with name of Testes Martrimonii: John Galac and Anna Belks, Minister is Rev Geo. Malinik. He left everything else blank!.

His WWII registration has him born in Cambria PA.

My grandmother didn't like the fact he was foreign born and she may have convinced him to use a PA birth location to sooth her, she was very very strong willed. This might be why there was no Alien Registration form filed.

As for being adopted, he was left here alone in the US (he always said he was only 10 years old. The story is his father was killed in a bar fight and his mother wanted to go back to old country. He went to work in the mines and was taken under the wing of the Trimbath family. A member of that Trimbath family remembers hearing his father (who is deceased) talk about Charley Trimbath and how their family took him in.

I have his SS-5, and it listed Haston, Cambria, PA

As for his birthdate, family says he never knew his birthday so he took the last day of the year, and made himself about the same age as my grandmother.

This guy is all over the map, I'd think he was on the run, if he wasn't so young when he married, hard to had another family to hide from at 21 or probably younger.

Lisa

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:17AM GMT
Grandma Buksar Trimbath's parents were John and Susanna Buksar, he came over from Lieskovany, Spis, Slovakia in 1882 and she followed a few years later with their 1st born son John. The remaining children were born in the US.

Were do you live? I'm in Southern California, born in Germany to Air Force parents who were stationed at Ramstein Air Base.

I've been trying to find my grandfather's family since 1995 when I started doing genealogy, hoping that DNA will give me some new leads.

Again thanks for taking a look at what I have. If you would like you can email me directly at: bakerfamily78@hotmail.com.

Lisa

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:27AM GMT
I have sent off another e-mail to you.
With Slovak research, you might want to post on that board.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions