Search for content in message boards

JOHN THOMPSON/ANNE CUMMINGS of Armagh

JOHN THOMPSON/ANNE CUMMINGS of Armagh

Carol Butcher (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2004 2:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: THOMPSON/CUMMINGS
I'm researching the families of my ggrandmother (ANNE JANE CUMMIN/GS, b. 1836? Armagh. F: Joseph Cummins; M: Ann Margaret Horne?) and her first husband (JOHN THOMPSON b. 1832? Armagh. F: Alexander Thompson; M: Eliza Liney?).
JOHN and ANNE THOMPSON emigrated to Aust. in 1856 on "James Fernie". They gave their religion as Presbyterian, and their native place & county as Armagh. John stated he was an Ag.Labourer.
They settled in Warwick, Queensland, Aust., where John died in 1870. They had 7 children. Anne remarried in 1871 to my ggrandfather ELLIS TODD.
Can anyone assist me with the JOHN THOMPSON/ANNE CUMMIN/GS ancestry? If so, it would be much appreciated.

Re: JOHN THOMPSON/ANNE CUMMINGS of Armagh

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: RE JOHN THOMPSON/ANNE CUMMINGS
Hi there,
Bingo we have a connection. My gr grandmother arrived in Aust Jan 1856 on the James Fernie and I believe she is the sister of Anne Jane Cummings.
I know your posting is 2004 hope you are still researching. Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 25 May 2012 1:56AM GMT
Hi. My husband, Adrian Thompson, is the son of Colin Thompson, whose parents were George Thompson and Mary Josephine Power.
From Colin's birth certificate we know that George was born in Warwick, and Mary in Stanthorpe. The only possible lead to George's parents we have been able to find is your John and Anne.
We know that Mary is of Irish lineage, but were led to believe that George had Scottish roots.
Hope to hear from you.
Margaret

Posted: 25 May 2012 4:15AM GMT
Surnames: Re John Thompson/Anne Cummings of Armagh
Hi Margaret,
My research found Jane Cummings and John Thompson settled in Warwick after they arrived in 1856. (would love to know what sent them there)Anyway they had 7 children one was a George B1865 and died 1934. Most of the records I have found for this time just give "Queensland" as origin but my gr grandmother, Sarah Cummings Jane's sisters marriage cert states she was married in Warwick Qld and also had a number of children born in Warwick. I don't know what dates you have for your George Thompson but if they seem to fit mine then please let me know but also you can check out my Hanlon Sharpe tree for Sarah Cummings and go from there for info.I have no personal records for Thompsons just findings through Ancestry.
Good luck.
Lyn

Posted: 25 May 2012 5:04AM GMT
Hi Lyn
thanks for your reply. I can confirm some further info re George and Mary which was on Colin's Birth certificate, and that is that he was 39 when Colin was born in 1904, which makes his birth date around 1865, and Mary was 23 which would make her birth year 1881. We also know that George died while Colin was on his honeymoon in 1934, and I had found a George Thompson's death for May of that year which fits time wise.

Colin had a sister, Irene Mary, and a brother Alexander.
They are both dead, but we are trying to find out more through Irene's family, as Mary had lived with Irene for some time before she died.

Here's hoping!

Margaret

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 12:18PM GMT
Hi Lyn
Since my last post I have sent for George Thompson's marriage
cert. He and Marie Josephine Power were married at Coen, Nth Qld 22 January 1903. His parents were listed as John Thompson & Jane Cummins, and John was a farmer. I have this week received George's birth cert and his parents were both listed as having been born in Armagh. My hesitation in accepting these as Adrian's forebears was partly because John was described as farmer when George married in 1903. I had expected that if he was dead he would have been listed as Deceased. I have been told that sometimes people were listed by their last known occupation, so this could still be right. I have sent the necessary monies to Warwick Family History Society for some research to be done there, and also the Stanthorpe society as that is where Marie Power was born.
Will let you know if anything further eventuates
Margaret

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 4:06AM GMT
Hi Margaret,
Seems like you and I are the only ones researching this family tree now so I would be very pleased to have any infomation you can get. After Johns death in 1870 Anne Jane married Todd Ellis in 1871 and had another three children. I have tried to extent the tree in an effort to connect with others but no luck. It seems that Anne remained in the Warwick area til her death in 1913.I still haven't been able to get info/death cert from Qld BDM for Ann Ellis.Are you able to view my tree for information and records?
Regards Lyn.

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 7:43AM GMT
Hi Lyn
I have let my Ancestry sub lapse for the moment as I decided to pay for some certificates etc. so can no longer access your tree. I intend to take this up again in the future.
A few other avenues I am looking into are as follows -
we have a daughter living in the UK and she has connections with a researcher who is apparently willing to see what she can find - I have sent copies of George's marriage cert and some other bits and pieces; I have written to a family in Coen whose name appears as a witness on the same cert. This family still runs a business there. This was a week ago and I have not heard from them, and I may never do so, but here's hoping. As George was married in the Court House (which probably doesn't exist any more),I have wondered if there are any records which might indicate if John was alive at the time of George's marriage.
We are going to NSW in a few weeks time and intend to spend a day in Warwick and Stanthorpe to see if a personal visit will reveal any more clues.
Just as a matter of interest, on George's birth cert the provider of the info was Anne Jane and it appears she was illiterate - there is no signature, just her mark X. George's date of birth is May 24 1865.
I will certainly let you know when I have any further info

Margaret

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 5:52AM GMT
Hi Margaret,
Yes, certificates get to be expensive but unfortunately thats the only way. I found marriage cert more reliable than death certificates when tracing back further. Sometimes the info comes from the children and isn't correct.
I can give you names and d.o.b for siblings of Geroges if you are unable to get them. I"ve just sent off to Warwick Hisorical Society seeking info on David Sharpe and Sarah Cummings as they married in Warwick in 1857 (the church wasn't built then only the slab) When the church burnt down marriages took place in the court house. I read this ages ago..think thats the story. According to passenger records
John Ann and Sarah could "read only" John and Anne Thompson appear listed under Married couples. Sarah listed under single females and I guess interviewed separately having her surname spelt Cummings not Cummins. Her details are clearer to read "father Joseph mother Anne living in Armagh"
Ann Janes details are hard to read but seem to be Joseph something Armagh. John Thompson details are parents Alex and Liza Armagh.I would like to get to Warwick sometime soon too but will wait til Historical Society gets back to me. If I can assist with any info or ancestry searches please let me know.
Regatrds
Lyn. P.S. John died before George married thats probably why Anne Jane appears on the marriage cert but she was then Anne Jane Todd.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 4:27AM GMT
We have a mary ann thompson born to a james thom(p)son prob 1780's born probably in armargh to a yeats we believe His daughter born 1806 came to oz in 1830's married my gggranfather robert hatch 1805 a baker from warrenpoint WENT TO NSW AFTER TASSY.

Have some other info on thompson in that area will have to gte it out if you are interested
Jen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions