Search for content in message boards

McMartin's of Martintown and Cornwall

McMartin's of Martintown

Posted: 10 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Oct 2004 7:10PM GMT
Surnames: McMartin
Hello, take a look at http://twicelovedtreasures.com under genealogy and there is a lot of McMartin's from Martintown. I could not find your Edward, but I will take a look thru my records.

McMartin's of Martintown and Cornwall

Jason McMartin (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McMartin
Hello,

I have just begun researching my McMartin ancestry, and I am looking for information on the family of Edward McMartin b. around 1881 in Martintown, Ontario. Edward McMartin married Alphosine Brunet sometime around the turn of the century, and they had the following children: Henry, George, Alex, John, Arthur, Edward, William, Donald, Gladys (O'Neil), Alice (Villeneuve), Annabel (Benoit), Delmia (Godard, and Mary. I would be extremely grateful if anybody with information on this line of the McMartin's could contact me.

Take Care,

Jason McMartin

O'Neil link?

Posted: 10 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: O'NEIL
I am researching the O'Neil's who lived in the Stormont Dundas Glengary county. My understanding is their home was somewhere in the Cornwall area.

My greatgrandfather was named Edward - he married a Mina (Elmira is another name that pops up) Kyer in that area. He had the following children: Evert (known as Roy W. - born 1908 and worked as a police officer and detective in Ottawa), Ernest (a boxer?), Lloyd (lived in Hamilton), Allan (presumed the youngest) and A SISTER NAMED GLADYS. My grandfather was able to speak French as well as English.

I am wondering if there may be a link with Gladys O'Neil as this name was not common then.

Re: McMartin's of Martintown and Cornwall

Kathy Coffey (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2001 8:00PM GMT
I grew up in that area, My Science teacher high school was Ian Mc Martin. I understand that teh twon was once called McMartinville but got shortened to Martintown

Posted: 18 May 2002 1:32AM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2002 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: Brunet, Sigouin, Seguin, Chretien
I am looking for a Marie Alice Brunet who married a Thomas Chretien in 1859 in Notre Dame, Ottawa. Her parents were Pierre Brunet and Adelaide Sigouin. I believe they may have been from Glengarry co. Do you have any more info on the Brunet or Sigouin (Seguin) families from this area?

Re: O'Neil link?

Posted: 13 Aug 2002 6:26AM GMT
Hello!
I hope I am not barking up a wrong tree, but my former mother-in-law was born Oct 19, 1901 Gladys O'Neil. I don't know who her parents were. I believe she was born in Kansas but she married Joseph Eldon Moore and had the following children: Wanda, Laurel, Thomas and Ruth. Joe died in 1980 and they had lived in Nyssa, Oregon for many years. After Joe died, Gladys remained at that home. She passed away in March of 2002 at the age of 100 years and 5 months. I know she had a brother by the name of Everet who lived in Washington State. When Gladys celebrated her 100th birthday, her son Thomas told me that she had family that even came from Canada. I don't know if this is the correct family, but it's worth a shot. Somewhere in the back of my mind a maiden name of Adams is involved, but I can't remember is she said that was her mother's maiden name or her husband Joe's mother's maiden name. Any help would be appreciated.

Sami Sharples

Posted: 13 Aug 2002 9:08AM GMT
Edited: 8 May 2006 4:35AM GMT
Surnames: O'NEIL, KYER, PHILLIPS, PRICE
Hi there - since my post I have linked with family members - Evert Roy was my Grandfather and I have since learned his parents Mina Kyer and Edward O'Neil. His sisters were Ethel, Lillian and Myrtle (died young) bros. Loyd and Lorne. As well I have learned that Edward Henry O'Neil's parents were Margaret Phillips and Patrick O'Neil - Patrick's parents were Patrick Sr. and Jane Price. This family settled in the Cornwall areas and several moved back and forth from the States - they emmigrated from Ireland during the famine in our about 1847-48 thereabouts. It does not appear we have the same family line directly, however, the more I learn the more I find connections. If you have an O'Neil line I would be keen on seeing it and checking if it links somehow. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond - every bit and piece really helps untangle the family lines - there were only a few original O'Neil's to Canada so the US links are very important given the movement with work and learning trades etc. Also, when the names repeat - it is often a link as the same family first names were often used. If you have more information - let me know directly if you have time - I maintain a second data base of links - not yet tied into my main family but developing and O'Neil database for others as well.

Thanks again - M

Posted: 13 Aug 2002 4:47PM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2003 7:14AM GMT
Marlene: Thanks for your quick reply. I am not an O'Neil, nor do I have any O'Neil's in my direct line. I am merely doing the research for my former husband, who's mother was an O'Neil.
Thanks again.
H.

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 4:16PM GMT
Hi
A Marty (I assume Martin) McMartin lived next door to us in Martintown ON. He never married, was a farmer and made maple sugar. He died in the early 1970's at approx 75 - 80 years old. His sister (also unmarried) lived with for a time before her death. I would imagine these are of the same McMartin family you are looking for

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 4:33PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2005 2:58PM GMT
I received certification as a Loyalist descendant of John McMartin U.E. of Martintown, Ontario. I have on file extensive data on the Grant & McMartin families; principal founders of Martintown. Please confirm — who are the parents of Edward McMartin b. circa 1881?

George, the son of Edward & Alphosine McMartin; did George use the surname spelling MacMartin? Is George buried at the North Branch Cemetery, Martintown, Ontario?

May we exchange data?
Thanks, Selwyn
selwynmac@telus.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic