Search for content in message boards

James Butler Bonham

James Butler Bonham

Sally Bonham Mohle (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2002 3:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
He was my great-great-great uncle. My great-great grandfather was Milledge Luke Bonham. Please contact me if you are also from this line.

Re: James Butler Bonham

Posted: 10 Sep 2003 1:34AM GMT
hi Sally, my husband is from the john b bohnam family .his grandmother was lessie, obed's daughter,james b's son.

Sandy Falter (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2004 8:01PM GMT
I realize this posting is almost 2 years old but I am also related to James Butler. I descend from his brother Malachi Mark.

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 10:09PM GMT
Plese email me direct at SallyISTJ@aol.com
I'm descended from his brother William Butler Bonham. I think that makes you and me 3rd cousins.

Elaine Williams (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2006 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: McAlexander,Bonham
I belive that I am kin to James Butler Bonham...but not sure how and am having a hard time putting it together....what I have is William Alexander Bonham my (GGGGrandfather)B:Nov. 15,1846 Indiana - D: July 11,1927 Washington....
married: Elizabeth Shelton.....
Children: Vallie Belle,Welcome H., Victor Raymond, Eunice Mae (May), J.A. and another daughter......
could James have been an uncle to my William ...I belive Williams father was borned in Ohio but am not sure of that (got that off a census)......any help or info that you could give me............Thanks

Charles Andrews (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2006 4:06AM GMT
You probably are kin to James Butler Bonham since almost all Bonhams in the U.S., including James Butler Bonham, descend from Nicholas Bonham. The real question is how close is your kinship.

James Bulter Bonham had no children so you cannot be a direct ancestror. He had seven brothers and sisters plus two half brothers and half sisters. All were born in South Carolina. Five of his siblings and one of his half siblings had children. Those with descendants and who were male and thus had the name of Bonham were: Simeon Smith Bonham (moved to Alabama), Malachi Mark Bonham (moved to Alabama and later Texas), Milledge Luke Bonham (stayed in South Carolina), and half brother John Witsel Bonham (moved to Alabama). None of the descendants of his siblings or half siblings, at least for several generations, lived in Indiana or Ohio. In all the records of his nephews or grand nephews none is named William Alexander Bonham. Thus James Butler Bonham was probably not an uncle to your William.

James Butler Bonham ancestry is as follows: James Butler Bonham (1807-1836) < James Bonham (1766-1815) < Absalom Bonham (1739-1794) < Malakiah Bonham (1713-1789) < (probably) Hezekiah Bonham (c1667-1732) < Nicholas Bonham (c1630-1684). You need to find which of these is your closest direct ancestor and then you can determine the xx cousin xx removed relationship to JBB.

Posted: 7 Jul 2006 4:12AM GMT
I apologize for the carelessness of my typing. I meant to say that James Butler Bonham had no children so he cannot be a direct ancestor.

Posted: 7 Jul 2006 10:08PM GMT
Sally wrote and asked me: Who was/were the mother(s) of his [James Butler Bonham's] half siblings?

When James Bonham first came down to South Carolina, he moved to the coast and eventually had two plantations, one in St James Santee Parish in Craven County northeast of Charleston and one on the Pon Pon [Edisto] River in St Bartholomew Parish in Colleton County south west of Charleston near Jacksonborough. We believe he married a widow, Mrs. Hannah Witsell Lewis, on 29 Mar 1787. She may have already had at least one child by her first marriage. With James Bonham she had two children, Ann Bonham and John Witsell Bonham. Hannah died 18 Dec 1795 and shortly thereafter James migrated to the upcountry and obviously hooked up with Jacob Smith in the Mount Willing and Red Bank areas of Edgefield. In the 1800 South Carolina census I find him in both Edgefield County (Boham) and St Bartholomew Parish (Bonham). In 1810 he is only in Edgefield (Boneham). I am currently trying to find if some of the Lewises in the Mount Willing area of Edgefield were related. Perhaps one was James Bonham’s step son. Another very capable researcher thinks this is the case.

Records from a partition suit on the estate of James Bonham (Edgefield Equity Court records No. 47) contain much of the details on James Bonham’s lands. One of the men summoned to serve as a commissioner for possible partition of the St Bartholomew tract was interestingly named Lawrence Whitsell. He did not actually serve as a commissioner. I suspect he may have been Hannah’s brother.

Ann Bonham (4 May 1793 – 15 Mar 1812) married James Moore Butler, the sheriff of Edgefield and a son of Gen. William Butler. She died shortly after their marriage, childless. Most all information on James Moore Butler says his first wife was a Miss Mays, but I have look hard at the Mays family, and I can find no appropriate Mays female for him to have married. Bonham researchers have mistakenly said she married a James L. Butler but this is a misreading of the Bonham Bible (original in South Caroliniana Library, Columbia, SC) where the handwritten “s” at the end of James curls up and could look like the top of a capital “L.” The Bible simply lists him (twice) as James Butler. After James Bonham died, John W. Bonham chose James M. Butler as his guardian, while all the other children were assigned under the guardianship of Sophia Bonham. I have photocopies of these guardianship papers.

John Witsell Bonham (18 Dec 1795 - 1838) married Sarah Pou, a daughter of Robert Pou. They had Mary, John L (Lewis?), James, and one other son whose name I have not yet uncovered. John and Sarah Bonham moved to Lowndes County, Alabama and set up a boarding house. The famous letter from James Butler Bonham to his mother from Alabama mentions his half brother John and his family. Mary Bonham married Arthur Simkins, a son of Eldred Simkins and once the editor of the Edgefield Advertiser. They had one child, Arthur Pickens Simkins, who died as a child and Mary died early in the marriage at age 23. Of the boys of John and Sarah Bonham, John L. Bonham died 2 Oct 1844 at the age of 17 while visiting his step grandmother, Sophia Bonham, back in Edgefield. I have a photocopy of a letter from Milledge Luke to his mother, Sophia, discussing this sad event. James Bonham, identified as the “youngest and last son of the late John W. Bonham” also died in Edgefield on 6 Mar 1854 at the age of 25, according to the Edgefield Advertiser newspaper. “Last son” implies that the other son, whose name I do not know, died before 1854, and because of his young age, probably childless.

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 2:38AM GMT
Thanks Charles for all the info.....

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Bonham
My gx4 grandmother was the sister to Gov. MLB.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic