Search for content in message boards

WILLIS Family, Taunton,MA-1700s

WILLIS Family, Taunton,MA-1700s

Posted: 9 Feb 2000 4:19PM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2004 10:47PM GMT
Is anyone else researching this family?? Noah WILLIS marr Martha (?) c.1764, prob in Taunton, Bristol Co, MA.Children:Lydia,Martha,Phylena,Noah,Phebe,Rhoda. Seems to be lots of WILLIS' in Taunton near that time.Looking for prior generations.

Willis of Taunton

Posted: 15 Feb 2000 8:42PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 7:41PM GMT
Dear Carol,
I researched my Dad's genealogy but that was in Dorchester and Sudbury, MA. In doing so I ran into a Henry who was a proprietor of Bridgewater - he also fought the Pequots in that war. I believe he had a brother Nathaniel who joined him in the settlement of Bridgewater. See if the library has the volumes of NEGHS-New England Genealogy and History Society and find Nathaniel WILLIS, not George Wyllys. There was a Wyllys that went to CT and settled Hartford or some town in that area. George was a survivor in Cambridge and died there. I did not follow along Nathaniel or Henry's path because it was not appropriate at that time. It was in the 1600's, earlier than you are looking.
You have my e-mail, but again, it is mwgindbks1@aol.com
Posted: 16 Feb 2000 4:31AM GMT
Thanks Martha....the Godfrey Mem Lib here in CT has NEHG books so I will take a look next time there.
Carol

Willis' of Taunton MA

Posted: 4 Mar 2000 4:27PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 1:27PM GMT
Carol,
I am of that family. They are originally from Bridgewater and early in Duxbury Mass, the emigrant was John Willis and his brothers, Nathaniel, Lawrence, Elkanah and another one that I can't think of at the moment. E-Mail me at gnut@iu.net and I can send you back to John Willis.
Aurie

Willis of Sudbury

Posted: 5 Mar 2000 7:31PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:29AM GMT
Hi,My Gradmother Olive Willis had relativesthat owned much property in Sudbury Mass. Tomorrow Ill find the records that I have that go back to the 1600's. An Aunt of my mothers made all kinds of copies of records of our family in Sudbury. Olive Willis Married Frank Kenrick (my Grandfather) Are you familiar with the Kenrick side of the family?? If So please let me know and ill find out what I can. This would be really nice to be related like this. Who Knows? Hope to hear something about rhe Willis-Kenrick line
thanks
pam (Smith)Holman

Willis of Sudbury

Posted: 6 Mar 2000 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 7:41PM GMT
Hi Pam, I would be really interested in the info your grandmother has. I have a deed from 1726, handwritten, original that sells 3 parcels of land to Samuel Willis. My Dad said he thought my gr grfa had released it due to taxes. He also told me there is an island in Willis lake that belongs to us. I don't know. Went there, couldn't identify an island, but I had no boat. Willis Lake is the biggest body of water in Sudbury, and I believe it is still called Willis Lake. Lots of houses built around it in Sudbury area. Now, Kendrick, and Olive, my research stopped with NEHGS, then collected birth certificates. Perhaps you could call the Town Clerk and ask, they have an index pretty available to answer questions; or write. They are very cooperative and helpful in the office. My e-mail is mwgindbks1@aol.com

Willis of Sudbury

Posted: 6 Mar 2000 7:29PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:29AM GMT
Hi,
I was really excited to hear from you. Im pretty sure we are talking about the same family of Willis's. Here is som info I came across today. 1. Roger Willis married July 19, 1664 in Dorchester Ruth Hill born August 1644 Dorchester Died 9/1/1737-Roger died before 1700. Roger and ruth Willis lived in the western part of Sudbury, Mass on what was called Lot 16 for most of their married life. Over the next 250 years (9generations) the Willis family would primarily reside in Sudbury. Today this fact is reflected in the Sudbury place names of Willis Pond, Willis Road and Willis Hill.Ruth lived to be 93. Of the 8 childrens Samuel Willis is my ancestor. Samule married Susanna Gleason after 1st wife Experience died. Samuel and Susanna had 4 Children. Joseph Willis is my ancestor.He owned many acres Which were divided between his sons. of the 6 Children John Willis is my ancestor.Here are some more names as I dont want to run out of Space. John Willis Married Elizabeth (we couldnt find last naME) Had 7 Children-Ezra Willis is my ancestor. Ezra married Susannah Haynes 6/2/1784-Had 7 children-Silas our ancestor.Silas married Abigail (Lincoln) Smith 3/23/1809-had 9 Children-James Prescott Willis our ancestor.James prescott married Adeline Haynes-4 Children-James Lueman our ancestor. James married Ella Simpson 1897-of their children-Harrison Prescott Willis our relative-He married Emma Jane Bosselman .Of this marraige we are all descendents of children of Harrison and Emma Willis. Children-Harold Prescott, Grace Ella, Henry, Olive (my grandmother) Helena, Evelyn, Ruth and Mary. I have tons of info that describes the Sudbury homestead, and info on the Bridegwater Willis's. I dont think I can fit it here but will write what I have-its from The New England Historical and Genealogical Register vol. CXIV jANUARY 1960. Did you ever go to the Willis Reunions?? The last one I attended was at the Indian Ranch Webster Mass
Hope some of this helps. I wasnt sure of the space so couldnt list everything.
Pam

Willis of Dartmouth (Acushnet), MA

Cissy Muller (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2000 1:00AM GMT
Would any of you have information on a Samuel Willis,
he was born in Acushnet and married Mehetabel Gifford 3/24/1712/13.
His son was Benjamin was also born in Acushnet. Benjamin's
daughter Hannah moved to Hardwick and Married Joseph Weeks.
Do you have any suggestions on how to research Samuel?

Thank you!

WILLIS family research

Posted: 7 Mar 2000 5:02PM GMT
Just starting this line myself so now help for you yet. Have you tried the LDS records??

Searching too

Wendy Fitch (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2000 7:17PM GMT
Hi Sister Pam;
I am looking too. I ordered a search from Massaschusetts vital records. I think it takes two to three weeks to get back from them. I'll keep you posted.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions