Search for content in message boards

Whaley Family of Kent Co. Ontario, Canada

Whaley Family of Kent Co. Ontario, Canada

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 2:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whaley, Jones
Looking for members of the John E. Whaley line who were born in Ont. Canada, They are Anne Whaley, John Edward 1875, Annie Adeline Elizabeth 1878, Whaley 1880, Theodore 1880, Herbert Solomon 1882, Charles 1884, Simon 1886,they then moved to MI, probably to Onaway, Presque Isle, MI
Any Help would be appreciated, they just escape the census reports by moving. The mother was Nancy Ann Jones born 1859 in Ont. Canada, dau of William Jones.

Re: Whaley Family of Kent Co. Ontario, Canada

Posted: 22 Nov 2007 11:06PM GMT
I found quite a bit re your Whaley family. Nancy Jones was the 2nd of 3 wives of John Whaley and is next door to him and his first wife in the 1871 Sombra, Lambton, Ontario census, which you can see here:

http://granniesgenealogygarden.com/Granny2/sombr1.html

First wife Anna Mary who was born in Ireland about 1850 died in Sombra in 1873 (registered in the Ontario BMD's) and husband John was the informant. Of their 2 children, George Henry (born abt 1867) died 1 April 1889 in Sombra at age 22. The informant ways George Henry was born on Wolf Island, Ontario.

The 2nd child, son Frederick E. was born in September of 1870 as the census indicates. He married a Russian girl, Lena Weedman who was born 1 Jun 1877 in Russia. They married in Donald, B.C. (now an abandoned CPR site near Golden, B.C.) on March 2, 1897 and had 10 children, the first (William Frederick, born 27 Nov 1898 in Revelstoke, B.C. and the next 9 in Alberta. Frederick and wife Lena can be found in the 1901 Clover Bar District of Alberta census and in the 1906 Edmonton District census. Frederick died in July of 1934 and Lena died in March of 1960. There is quite a bit of information on their family in the book "Hanna North" on pages 274 - 277, also a great picture of them taken in 1897 on page 274. This book and its page images can be found at the website www.ourroots.ca

In the 1871 Sombra census, 13-yr-old Nancy Jones is living next door to John and his first family (he is listed as 37, born USA, religion EM, and of Dutch heritage. Nancy seems to be a duaghter of Abraham (aged 86 and born in USA) and Annie Jones (aged 47 born Ontario). Nancy has a brother Elisha (12) and sister Mary A.(7). This family is listed as religion LDS (Mormon). This Abraham Jones died in Lambton 15 Oct 1878 and the informant listed him as 120 or 150 years old which is quite obviously a stretch!!!

In the book "Hanna North", there is a George Mulligan who is married to an Emma Jane Brown, both of Lambton county and both moved to Alberta in 1894. It says that Fred Whaley helped them move and that Fred was George's "nephew".

John Whaley and his 2nd wife and family pretty well seem to say that they emigrated to the US abt 1887, but I cannot find them in the 1881 Cdn census, but I do find an Andrew and Mary Whely in the 1881 Sombra, bothwell, Ontario census: Andrew being 43 and Mary 21 with 3 children: Jesse(10), John(5) and Theodore(1). They are Methodist. Not being able to see the original, it could be a bad transciption so the original should be checked. What with a 5-yr-old John and a 1-yr-old Theodore, it sure seems that it must be the right family.

By 1900, they are in the 1900 Evergreen, Sanilac, Michigan census. John S. Whaley says he was born in New York of New York-born parents in December of 1833. He is again a widower. Simon says he was born in Canada in Sep of 1886 which seems to confirm that they didn't leave Canada until after his birth. Arthur says he was born in Michigan in Dec of 1892.
Also in the 1900 Elkland, Tuscola, Michigan census are John Jr., Herbert and Charles Whaley. Charles was born 7 June 1884 in Lambton county, Herbert born March 1882 in Canada. They say they emigrated to the US in 1886 (probably should be 1887 same as the rest of the family). Theodore's birth registration is available in the Ontario BMD's, born 4 Feb 1880 in Sombra, Lambton county. I suspect that this is him with older brother John and whomever Andrew & Mary were in the 1881 Sombra census.

In the 1910 Allis, Presque Isle, Michigan census, living side-by-side are Charles and Jennie, John Edward and Mary, and Theodore and Minnie. Simon, unmarried, is living with Charles & Jennie.

By the 1920 & 1930 censuses, Charles and Jennie are in Sioux Falls, Minnehaha, South Dakota, along with unmarried brother Simon. By 1930 Herbert Solomon is in Flint, Michigan with wife Nora. Theodore is in the hospital in Traverse City, Michigan.

All the children seem to know that their father was born in New York, but are highly confused about where their mother (or who) was born. Wife #1 was born in Ireland abt 1850 and died 1873. Wife #2 was born in Ontario abt 1858 and died in the 1890's in Michigan. Wife #3 was born in Michigan.

Hope this helps out,

Sue

Posted: 23 Nov 2007 11:56PM GMT
Sue, Thank you so very much, we are thrilled. Are you related or just being a wonderful researcher for lost souls like us. Thanks again. Joan of Michigan

Posted: 24 Nov 2007 12:14AM GMT
No relation. Just thought I could help out. Below is the link to the 1861 Sombra census. The Whaleys aren't in it, but Nancy Jones and her family are. Abraham is just 50 in this census and wife Annie is 40. Nancy is just 3 years old. In this census, they are listed as Church of England, so perhaps there was a conversion to the Mormon church sometime between the 2 censuses?

Sue

http://granniesgenealogygarden.com/Granny2/sombra3.html

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: whaley
I have information and photos of John Edwin Whaley and his family if you are interested.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 12:05AM GMT
I am the grandson of Charles and Jenny Whaley, born in 1944 in Sioux Falls, SD, son of their daughter Vernetta Whaley and John Kellison Erickson. I have information on descendants of Charles and Jenny if anyone is interested.

Does anyone have information on the birthplace of John S Whaley? Any information about his parents, etc? Was he born in NY?

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: Whaley
HI, I would be interested in the photos, and any other info you might have about this line.
Thanks for sharing!
ericerickson@earthlink.net

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 1:55PM GMT
Hi, I am wondering if you found any other information about this line of Whaley, especially the parents of John S. who would be my g grandfather.
Did you have anything further than the terrific response you got earlier?

Posted: 27 Dec 2011 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: Haley, Heyley, Healy, Healey, Hele...
Are you searching for the Whaley family? Or the Haley family from Kent County. Please remember that southwesten Ontario is fairly large and to ask for member's from Ontario Canada is self-defeating. There are many variations, trust me. This was my grandmother's fmily.

Posted: 27 Dec 2011 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Whaley
Thanks for following up on the similarity of surnames. I am looking for the Whaley line, which I trace back from my mother, Vernetta Whaley. Her grandfather was the John S. Whaley of Sombra, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for antecedents of John's father and mother Alonzo Whaley and Maria Tanner of New York, USA. John was born in Utica, NY in 1833.
I am not aware of any connection to the Haley family
per page

Find a board about a specific topic