Search for content in message boards

Pointe St. Charles

Pointe St. Charles

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HUNT
Does anyone know of a Pointe St. Charles historical society?
My great grandparents lived at 480 Bourgeois St. in the 1890s. Riverside school was nearby and their children would have attended classes there. I'm trying to find information about the area, particularly photos of the school and surrounds during that era. Also, William Hunt was a moulder and may have worked at a foundry near where he resided. I'm trying to find a business directory if anyone knows where I might locate one.

Thanks.

Re: Pointe St. Charles

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 8:36PM GMT
Try on the Lovell directory for companies and and information on the address:
Http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index/html

Mathurin

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 4:24AM GMT
Here is the site of Pointe St-Charles.

http://histoire-pointesaintcharles.org/

I was born and grow up in this neighborhood. I go occasionally. I can probably take some photos. Do you have the name of the school attended.

Johanne

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 2:46PM GMT
Hi,

Have a question. Your grandfather's name was " Hunt"? As you can see in The Lovell directory there is no Hunt family on Bougeois (Bourgoys) st in 1890. And the adress on that street stop at 222 in the same year. After that period the number change.

But in 1920 there is Arthur Hunt leaving at 405 Bourgeois. Is that could be the same family. Probably William's children???

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 4:07PM GMT
Hello!
The William Hunt family lived at 202 Bourgeois from 1891 until 1894 and then they moved to 480 Bourgeois. They lived at that address until about 1901 when they moved to Ontario. There was only one son and his name was William.
There was a school across the street from 480 where there is now a playground. I believe the school was called Riverside and I have no idea when it was torn down. I'm hoping to get information from the Pointe St. Charles website that you sent. Thanks so much for the offer of a photo.

Regards
Kerry

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 6:00PM GMT
My grandmother was a kindergarten teacher at Riverside School in Pointe St. Charles in the early 1900's, for about 15 years, and I found a photo of the school on-line which I will attach. Suzanne
Attachments:

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:45PM GMT
Hi: There is a web site call "thepoint.ca". It is all about the point and many pictures. Also gives the name of the Point Historical Society. When you get the site - go to the "homestead run by gmcrae.

Good Luck.

Posted: 6 Apr 2014 11:53PM GMT
http://sudouest.wordpress.com/tag/pointe-st-charles/

My paternal granparents both grew up in the area. I was driving around there today. The house numbers have all changed but I think the houses they lived in on Char(r)on, Bourgeoys and Sebastopool are all gone.

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 1:13AM GMT
I don't think the houses would all be gone. A substantial amount of old housing remains in Pointe St Charles. I live in one of those houses myself. This is a current 480 Bourgeois (it's spelled Bourgeoys now). It is righ across from the park that was the original site of Riverside School (I think). It could have had the same number in the 1890s, although, as someone pointed out, a lot of street numbers have changed. If it's the same house, it's a one of a very nice line of row houses. You can find it on Google maps if you Google 480 rue Bourgeoys. I can see the number on 480, but I can see 478 and 482 on other side of it.

Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions