Search for content in message boards

McDougalls of 16-9th Lancaster

McDougalls of 16-9th Lancaster

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 2:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDougalls of 16-9th Lancaster
Saw you postings and threads concerning the McDougalls who lived on 16-9th of Lancaster, in fact I have the deed to the farm. You are probably correct, I was told that the farm on the 16-9th of Lancaster was not granted to these McDougalls, but purchased. I am a descendant of Alexander Donald McDougall and his wife Mary McRae. A cousin of mine told me that John Breachd McDougall was married to Katherine McDonnell, but up until now I have not been able to confirm that.

I have most of the information on Alexander Donald McDougall's descendant, but do have a few gaps.

I noticed the postings were dated Nov 2004, so hopefully either or both of your email addresses are still active.

I am most interested in getting in touch with you.

Re: McDougalls of 16-9th Lancaster

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Cameron, McDougald, McDougall
Hi and good afternoon Donald.

Your posting referring to Alexander Donald McDougall & Mary McRae. In my records I have a Donald McDougald & Mary McRae residing in Lochiel - Concession 6. Their children being John, Ann, Roderick, Catherine, Isabella and Duncan.

Same family?

My main interest is Roderick but have some information of other members of family. He married Flory Cameron from Concession 6 Kenyon one of the 12 Cameron girls of Duncan and Margaret MacDougall(d)

Would you contact me at the following email address

luscombe@glen-net.ca

Look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Luscombe.

Posted: 21 May 2007 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: McDougalls
Donald
Hello Cousin! I, too, am a descendant of Alexander Donald McDougall and his wife Mary McRae of 16-9th Lancaster as noted below.

Alexander Donald McDougall B. abt 1797 D: 1881
- Duncan Alexander McDougall B: 5 Nov 1845 D: 27 Jan 1908
-- Catherine Sarah McDougall B: 21 Jul 1872 D: 20 Feb 1955
--- Margaret Mary McDonald B: 20 Jan 1909 D: 16 Oct 1965
---- Gerald Robert Burns B: Living

My mother has been researching our genealogy for many many years. I am currently trying to decipher her information and fill in the gaps with documentation. Alexander Donald McDougall is one of the gaps. Please contact me @linda.burns@gov.ab.ca
I am sure we have information to exchange.
...Linda

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: McDougall, Campbell
Donald - I am also researching what appears to be the same family. My link is through a Christina McDougald born Mar 5, 1838 on Lot 16, 9th Concession Lancaster Twp.

Parents were Alexander MacDougald and Mary MacRae.

Christina married Colin Campbell July 21, 1856 St Finnans, Alexandria. Colin, Christina & family subsequently moved to Michigan.

Hopefully we can share what we know.

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 11:33AM GMT
Surnames: McDougall
Alexander Donald McDougall(John Breachd MacDougall, Angus McDougall, John Bahn MacDougall, John) was born Abt. 1794 in Invernesshire, Scotland, and died 16 May 1881 in Glen Nevis, Glengarry Co., ON, Canada. He married Mary McRae 15 Jul 1828 in St. Raphael’s RC Church, Charlottenburgh Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada. She was born 1809 in Glengarry Co., Scotland, and died 05 Jun 1857 in ON, Canada.

Family Enumeration in 1851 Census of Canada West (Ontario):
District: Glengarry County (10)
Sub-District: Lancaster (79)
Pages: 117, Lines 12-23
Roll: C_11722
Schedule: A

Alexander McDougal/Farmer/Scotland/R.C./58/Male
Mary McDougall/ /G.C.W./R.C./45/Female
Donald McDougal/Labourer/G.C.W./R.C./22/Male
Mary McDougal/Spinster/G.C.W./R.C./21/Female
Flora McDougal/Spinster/G.C.W./R.C./19/Female
John McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./18/Male
Alexander McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./16/Male
Christiana McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./14/Female
Sally McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./13/Female
Nancy McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./11/Female
Catharine McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./9/Female
Duncan McDougal/ /G.C.W./R.C./7/Male

Generation 2

Christina/Christiana McDougall was born 05 Mar 1838 in 16-9th Lancaster Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada. She married Colin Campbell 21 Jul 1856 in Alexandria, Lochiel Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada, son of John Campbell and Catherine MacDonald. He was born 11 Sep 1832 in ON, Canada, and died 03 Nov 1885 in Au Sable or Oscoda MI, USA.

More About Christina McDougall:
Baptism: 14 Mar 1838, St. Raphael's RC Church, St. Raphael's W, Charlottenburgh Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada
Residence 1: 1852, Lancaster Twp., Glengarry County, Canada West (Ontario), Canada
Residence 2: 1880, Greenbush, Alcona Co., MI, USA

Notes for Colin Campbell:
Family as enumerated in the 1880 United States Federal Census:

Dwelling 9/ Family 10
Colin Campbell/White/M/45/ /Married/Canada/Canada/Canada
Christiana Campbell/White/F/42/Wife/Married/Keeping House/Canada/Scotland/Canada
Mary A. Campbell/White/F/18/Daughter/Single/Canada/Canada/Canada
Lotta Campbell/White/F/12/Daughter/Single/Michigan/Canada/Canada
Ella Campbell/White/F/10/Daughter/Single/At School/Michigan/Canada/Canada
John Campbell/White/M/9/Son/Single/At School/Michigan/Canada/Canada
Roderick Campbell/White/M/5/Son/Single/Michigan/Canada/Canada
Kitty Campbell/White/F/3/Daughter/Single/Michigan/Canada/Canada

Children of Christina McDougall and Colin Campbell are:

i. Harriet Campbell, born 10 Jun 1857 in 13-1 Lochiel Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada.
ii. Mary Campbell, born 30 Aug 1858 in 12(E.5)-1 Lochiel Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada.
iii. Mary Ann Campbell, born 06 May 1861 in 13-9th Lancaster Twp., Glengarry Co., ON, Canada.
iv. Flora Campbell, born Abt. 1863 in Canada.
v. Catherine Campbell, born Abt. 1867 in Canada.
vi. Ella Campbell7, born Abt. 1870 in MI, USA.
vii. John Alexander Campbell, born 03 Aug 1871 in MI, USA.
viii. Walter Rodney Campbell, born 05 Oct 1875 in Greenbush, Alcona Co., MI, USA.
ix. Kitty Campbell, born 24 Mar 1877 in Greenbush, Alcona Co., MI, USA.
x. Leo Campbell, born 17 Apr 1879 in Greenbush, Alcona Co., MI, USA; died 11 Oct 1879 in Greenbush, Alcona Co., MI, USA.
xi. Leo S Campbell, born 17 Oct 1881.
xii. Lotta Campbell, born 1868 in MI.

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: McRae, Campbell
Donald - Thanks for this latest posting. Yes, that is the family. There are a couple of discrepancies with what I have, but it all basically matches.

I have Mary McRae's death as June 5, 1859 whereas you have 1857. The date I have came from the gravestone, but since they are often hard to read, the last digit could have been a 7 rather than a 9.

Colin Campbell was actually born in Quebec, not Ontario - just over the 'border' in St Polycarp. His gravestone in Oscoda, MI gives his birthplace. His place of death is uncertain because he was living in Greenbush and visiting his children in AuSable / Oscoda (2 adjoining townships) when he died. He is buried in Oscoda. Many of the records from AuSable / Oscoda were destroyed in a fire in 1911.

Please email me on fredcouples7 at hotmail dot com, and we can hopefully share more. Thanks. Mike.

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 4:41PM GMT
Excuse me for butting in! I have been researching my gg grdfather Peter M(a)cDougal(l), Roman Catholic, b 1776 d 1854. Buried St. Andrews West. Married Christian MacLennan, Oct 1810, Williamstown, Glengarry. I have no idea how or when he arrived Upper Canada, whether alone or with family. He did settle, abt 1809 on 3rd conc of Indian Lands, Charlottenburg. I do have considerable info after 1845. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated to fill in earlier blanks or connections. Thank you.

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: McDougall
I believe I've seen a Peter M(a)cDougal(l)in some of the records I've reviewed, but a search on my computer did not find anything.

He may belong to a different McDougald family.

Sorry. Mike.

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 6:38PM GMT
Thank you for your answer and interest. Possibly someone else will note the request and reply.

Thanks
Ken.

Posted: 3 Jul 2007 4:04AM GMT
Hi Guys

I believe I am also descended from the family at Lot 16 9th conc. I'm sure there was a Peter in our family but my GGGrandfather moved to Lochiel soon after my GGrandfather was born. I'll do some searching tomorrow night. My GGrandfather was John, his father was Donald and I think his father was John Breachd.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions