Search for content in message boards

Jacobites transported to Leeward Islands

Jacobites transported to Leeward Islands

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Samuel, Samuell
George Samuel, age abt 18, along with several more "Jacobite prisoners," were transported from Liverpool to Leeward Islands in May 1747 on ship 'Veteran." I also have info that this ship's prisoners were liberated by a French privateer in Martinique June 1747.

George Samuel was born in Scotland, res. Edinburgh and listed as a bookbinder.

I'm looking for more information about this incident, Jacobites and were these liberated prisoners then taken to the states?

Re: Jacobites transported to Leeward Islands

Posted: 26 Jul 2009 5:12AM GMT
I happened to be looking up some ancestry info up today on the internet and came across a book titled, "On the Trail of the Jacobites" by Ian and Kathleen Whyte. You may or may not find this helpful. Hopefully it is. Sincerely, Val

Posted: 26 Jul 2009 11:50AM GMT
thanks very much. I will check into it. Bonnie

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 11:03PM GMT
I am interested in a particular James Urquhart who was also on board that ship to Martinique. I am trying to trace him from Martinique to the US Colonies where he may have changed his name to Orchard. Do you have any info on where he came from? He was also 18.

Thanks,
Stacey

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 11:14PM GMT
I would think that James Urquhart was also from Scotland if he was also a Jacobite. This group were transported from Liverpool. The assumption is that George Samuel ended up in Caswell Co, NC. I found one story that the ship was taken by "pirates" or a group sympathetic to the Jacobites, who transported them to the US. I have no firm evidence of this, however.

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 11:18PM GMT
Where would I find a complete list of the prisoners? I have a feeling that my James also ended up in NC as his son (my ancestor) had land in Caswell Co, NC. How does one trace a person from the Leeward Islands to NC?

Thanks,
Stacey

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 1:00PM GMT
Hi I found this when looking into George Reid, Jacobites of 1715 and 1745, North East Scotland
Reid (or Read) George Born 29thMay 1716 Desford, Banffshire, son of Walter Reid Labourer 5ft 4 5 ins dark visage, strong healthy In Carlisle. Transported from Liverpool to Leeward Islands in Veteran, but the ship was attacked off Antigua by a French privateer from Martinique. The governor of Martinique refused English demands to hand the prisoners back and granted the request of 10 to be sent to France possibly to negotiate for others

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 3:03PM GMT
Surnames: Samuel, Samuell
And were they sent to France? Any record of the names of the 10 men?

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 5:06PM GMT
Sorry that's all I have for now, if I find anything else I will post it.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 3:33PM GMT
Also found this.

8 May 1747 The Veteran sailed from Liverpool, England, bound for Antigue, St Kitts and Jamaica, with 149 Jacobite prisoners, including 15 women, on board. They were to be settle as indentured slaves. En route a French privateer The Diamant, under Captain Paul Marshal, captured The Veteran and released the prisoners.

28 June The Veteran was captured by a French Privateer, the "Diamond", under command of Paul Marsal "in or about the Latitude of Antgua".

A letter is transcribed in a 1998 Clan MacKenzie listserve posting, source noted as "Colonies C/8a/58, fo 86" (note that the following dates are probably in the Gregorian calender then used by the French government and navy);

Le 14 aout 1747, le gouverneur de Martinique, M. de Caylus, ecrit au ministre, en duplicata, une lettre chiffree (dont la transcription par les bureaux du ministere est donnee en interlignes) :

"J'ai eu l'honneur de vous rendre compte, par ma lettre du 12 juillet dernier par la Hollande [lettre non conservee], qu'un corsaire de cette colonie avait pris un vaisseau sur lequel on avait embarque 160 Ecossais qui devaient, par ordre du roi, etre vendus comme esclaves aux Isles sous le Vent, pour avoir pris les armes contre le prince Edouard. [ I think he meant "pour le prince"? ]

"Deux capitaines, huit autres, tant sergents que soldats, qui etaient de ce nombre, m'ayant demande de passer en France par ces batiments qui sortent sans convoi, je le leur ai permis et je vous en rends compte afin que vous ayez la bonte de donner, a leur arrivee dans les ports, les ordres que vous jugerez convenables.

"Su r les representations qu'ils m'ont faites, j'ai donne des ordres aux capitaines pour les passer comme prisonniers de guerre et je vous ecris ainsi dans la crainte que, cette lettre tombant entre les mains des Anglais, ces malheureux ne fussent reconnus et maltraites."

My translation, with aid and corrections by Françoise Gaudry, a bilingual descendant of Roderick of Achiltibuie (brother of "Keppoch", first cousin of "Ardloch"), is;

On the 14 August, 1747, the Governor of Martinique, M. de Caylus, wrote to the Minister, in duplicate, a letter Encrypted (Whose transcription by the offices of the ministry is given in interlining)

"I had the honour to report to you in my letter of 12 July by the Hollande [letter not kept, likely refers to a ship called "la Hollande", rather than sent through the land of Holland] that a corsaire [privateer] of this colony had taken a vessel which had 160 Scots on board, who by Orders of the King were to have been sold as slaves in the Windward Isles, for having taken up arms for the Prince Edward.

"Two captains and eight others, some of those sergeants, some soldiers, asked me to arrange their passing to France that these batiments [ ships, not necessarily fighters, but with big or medium size tonnage as opposed to small ships ] can go without convoy, I allowed them to do so, and I and I tell you this so that you be kind enough, when they arrive in port, to give such orders as you deem appropriate.

"On the representations made by them to me, I have given orders to the captains to pass as prisoners of war and I thus write to you in the fear that, should this letter fall into the hands of the English, these unfortunates be recognized and mistreated."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic