Search for content in message boards

JAMES BUTLER HICKOK = WILD BILL

JAMES BUTLER HICKOK = WILD BILL

Carole Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 1999 10:38PM GMT
I would like to correspond with anyone who has traced the ancestry of Will Bill Hickok, born James Butler Hickok. Thanks

James Butler Hickok = Wild Bill

pj starrett (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 1999 11:19AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2006 1:33PM GMT
My greatgrandmother had traced our tree when i was little and she told me that we were kind to him through my ggf hugh e butler sr I can ask my gm if she can tell me some more info

Re: James Butler Hickok

Lana Golinsky (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 1999 3:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Have you been able to find any useful information yet? I have alot of the Butler side, if you are still needing it. Let me know either way, by now maybe you have some information that I could use!
Lana

JAMES BUTLER HICKOK:WILD BILL

JOSEPH HICKOK (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2000 8:32AM GMT
I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT JAMES BUTLER IS MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT (6) UNCLE. MY FAMILY THOUGHT THAT HE WAS OUR SIXTH COUSIN, BUT WE JUST FOUND OUT IN THE FAMILY HISTORY BOOK OF THE "HICKOK" NAME THAT "WILD BILL" IS INDEED MY SIXTH GREAT UNCLE. IF YOU NEED ANYMORE INFO PLEASE E-MAIL ME.

William Fleming Hickok -- b. 1863 VA

Brett Rierson (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 7:42PM GMT
Hi Joseph,
Have heard in my family that James Butler is also a great...great uncle...but unsure at this point. Earliest Hickok I have reliable details on is:
William Fleming Hickok, Born 13 June 1863 in CHristiansburg VA. Father was Samual M. Hickok, born 1828 (the year after James Butler's parents were married. Samual is my ggg grandfather. Might you have information on the siblings of Wild Bill? Samual may be his brother.

Much obliged,
Brett Rierson
+852 2574 4293
Hong Kong

Re: JAMES Butler Hickok's Siblings

JOSEPH HICKOK (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2001 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 22 Jul 2006 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Hickok
WILLIAM & POLLY'S CHILDREN IN THE ORDER OF THE BIRTH YEAR.

1)OLIVER HICKOK B:MAY 1830
2)LORENZO BUTLER HICKOK B:1831 (died soon after)
3)LORENZO BUTLER HICKOK B: NOV. 1832
4)HORACE DEWEY HICKOK B:OCT.1835
5)JAMES BUTLER HICKOK B: MAY 1837
6)CELINDA HICKOK B:SEPT.1839
7)LYNDA HICKOK B:OCT.1842

Re: JAMES BUTLER HICKOK:WILD BILL

Posted: 5 May 2006 12:41AM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2006 7:37PM GMT
Surnames: Hickok, Smith
Did any of the Hickok's marry Smiths? What is the name of the history book and where can i get it? We believe we are related too, through Celinda. Please email me back... slanders328@yahoo.com (lori) thanks.

Re: JAMES BUTLER HICKOK:WILD BILL

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 12:21AM GMT
A family tradition said that "Wild Bill" was my great-grandmother's second cousin (I forget the "how many times removed). She was Nellie Mae Hickok, daughter of Benjamin Herkimer Hickok and Sarah Hendry Hickok. Benjamin H. was the son of David Guernsey Hickok. Anything you would care to supply in connecting Wild Bill with either David G., his son Benjamin H. or Benjamin's daughter Nellie Mae would be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance.

Marie J. Hoose

Re: JAMES BUTLER HICKOK = WILD BILL

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 3:41PM GMT
Have any of you seen or read the Hickok book? It's called "Pioneer Settlers of Troy Grove" and is still available through the Adams House Museum. It's a pretty detailed history of the Hickok family and has been really useful to me in my research.

http://www.adamsmuseumandhouse.org/new_store/book_list.php?c...

I have been to his grave in Deadwood, but didn't know at the time that he was a relative!

Re: JAMES BUTLER HICKOK = WILD BILL

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 8:04PM GMT
Thank you for mentioning "Pioneer Settlers". It was compiled by my mother, Edith Andrews Harmon (daughter of Susan Hickok, of Horace Hickok, bro. of James Butler Hickok). We have made this book available to the Adams Museum and Mother would have been delighted that you found it.
Cynthia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic