Search for content in message boards

Vorarlberg immigrants to USA

Vorarlberg immigrants to USA

Robert L. Blum (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 7:55PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
I have the "Auswander book" by Meinrad Pichler. This book is a list immigrants to the United States from Vorarlberg1840-1950.My father came to the US in 1923 from Hochst, Vorarlberg ,Austria. I would be happy to look and see if your ancestor is listed. The book is in German.

Re: Vorarlberg immigrants to USA

Eric J. Jaeger (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2005 5:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Robert!

My name is Eric from Hoechst (Austria). Was the name of your father Julius and was he born 1905? Please let me know to help you.

Next year the town of Hoechst will issue an addional edition about the their history. A big chapter of it, will be about the emmigrants to the USA

Eric

Robert L. Blum (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2005 2:35PM GMT
Eric,
Yes , my father is Julius Blum born in 1905 to Leopoldina Helbok and Heinrich Blum. That is exciting that there will be a book published about Hoechst and the immigrants to America.
I do have lots (25) of 1st cousins there. The big problem is that they speak German and I speak English. I wish that German had been spoken in our home. My aunt in New York, Irma Schneider Blum , now in her 90's is , my contact contact with Hoechst. She talks to her neice Lonie Feistenaur every week.
Do you have a interest in your family history (genealogy)?

Posted: 9 Aug 2005 5:57PM GMT
Hi Robert!

Yes, I am very interested in genealogy and I´m a member of the genealogy society "IGAL". The homepage of the society is www.igal.at.

Three editions about the history of Hoechst already exist. I´m sorry the language is GERMAN.

My four grandparents left Hoechst and emigrated to the USA, my parents and I were born in New Jersey. Because I live in Hoechst for many years now both languages are no problems for me.

So if you have any question please let me know.

Eric

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 5:10AM GMT
Hello Eric, My father's relatives came from Höchst. I have emailed with Meinrad Pichler and he has asked me to write biographies about my Nagel relatives who are in his book. When I saw your offer on this message board, I had to say Hello to someone who lives in Höcst. My ancestors are Joseph Nagel, John Baptist Nagel, and Franz Joseph Nagel. I believe the emigrated in 1853, 1854, and 1855 respectively. One day I hope to visit Austria....well at least one can dream!
Deanna Nagel Turton

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 8:34AM GMT
Hi Deanna!

A big hello from a relative out of Höchst. My grangrangrangranfather Johann Baptist Nagel was a cousin to your Joseph Nagel.

Hans Peter Lutz and I are members of the geneology society IGAL. He told me already about our common relative. :-)

The town of Hoechst will issue the next year an addional edition about the their history. A big chapter of it, will be about the emigrants to the USA.

Could you send me the biographies about the Nagel relatives you wrote already to Mr. Pichler.

Eric

Deanna M. Turton (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2005 10:23PM GMT
Hi again, I got an email from Meinrad Pichler yesterday and he said he was going to use my research in his section of that new book that you mentioned in your email. I told my husband that I should REALLY rewrite those biographies because I wrote them when I did not know so much information about the extended Nagel family. So I am going to email Meinrad to tell him that also. Please greet Hanspeter Lutz for me also. His daughter stayed with us for afew days a year or so back.
Would you like to be a guest on my family website?
If so, I will send you an invitation. Hanspeter already has access to it if you want to look at the info through his computer. There are pictures on the site also....I have several pictures of Franz Joseph Nagel = son of John Baptist Nagel on the site. On one picture, you will see his ENTIRE family all lined up in their birth order. Only one is missing = a baby son, Peter, who died at 11 months old. Otherwise, all are there and even the family dog!!
I have also sent Mrs. Leopold Schneider a reprint of a newspaper article about FJ Nagel. A reporter interviewed him when he was about 80 years old and he told his life story. That article led me to Höchst because up to then, NO one in the family knew the exact town where he was born. Even the reporter had the name spelled VERYwrong but a man from the ASK AUSTRIA site cleared that up for me. So, I have been VERY lucky to have such good helpers.
I will be happy to send you the biographies ....but I think I should really redo them before I mail them. Just this week I located the village in Germany where FJ's mother was born! = Kuelsheim.
Thanks for emailing, Deanna PS...I will need your address to mail them.

eric (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 7:31PM GMT
My gggrandfather came to the US in May, 1869. His name (anglicised) was Frank Lingly. He gave his birthplace on the census as Tyrol, but the closest Austrian equivalent I've seen to his name is Lingli which is more common in Vorarlberg.
Let me know if he's in your book, or if you have advice for researching him-------thanks!

George Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 11:45PM GMT
Hi Eric

Meinrad's book covers the period from 1800 to 1938. I do not see any name that's even remotely similar. Therre are only two names that have "LING" as the first four letters. They are LINGENHÖLE and LINGG.

Sorry

George in Rochester NY
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!

eric (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2005 5:29PM GMT
Thanks anyway for the try. It was a bit of a long shot.
However, since you're familiar with research in that area--could you offer any advice on researching a subject like this? I have really hit a brick wall---I know only a few details and even the immigration records don't come up with anything. The only records I have are his naturalization papers and a census record.
Any suggestions? Thanks again---ERIC
per page

Find a board about a specific topic