Search for content in message boards

What is a PAF

What is a PAF

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 2:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm new. What is a PAF? I have seen it with a few relatives. It seems to be mostly private. Advantages of it or disadvantages? Some one said I should get a family tree maker so I wouldn't lose everything.

Advise?

Re: What is a PAF

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 7:43AM GMT
PAF=Personal Ancestral File=Old, outdated genealogy program that can't handle many of the bells and whistles that a modern genealogy program can.

In short- don't waste your time on it.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 4:28PM GMT
do you have any sugguestions?

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 2:32AM GMT
Their are lots of different programs, the software board here lists many of them. Read the boards and look to see what people think of the program they bought. Find out if the program comes in a "free" evaluation version. And try them out. Some programs are geared toward beginners and others are more complicated and used by "more involved" genealogists. Programs will try to lock you into their way of doing things so learn a little about genealogy, by joining an active genealogy group and asking to see the programs they use. Having friends you trust give their opinion is very valuable.

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 9:36PM GMT
The good?
-Free
-Can be run from a thumb/USB drive (great for research on the fly)

The bad?
-It takes a lot of front end work to get the default entries set for what you'd like to know (for me: race, occupation, denomination, etc).
-Unnecessarily complicated to show stepchildren, adopted children, etc.
-Rough/basic publication abilities

Having said that, once you set it up and get past the jacked learning curve, it works fine.

Cliffsnotes:
Do I recommend it? Yep. Would I recommend it if you have extra cash for full bells and whistles? Nope. Will it do what you need it to do? Yep. Easily? Nope.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions