Search for content in message boards

Searching for Native American ancestry

Searching for Native American ancestry

Posted: 7 Sep 2005 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells
I am currently searching for ANY and all information regarding my husband's great-great grandmother. Family legend says that she was a full blooded Cherokee Indian. I am having a lot of trouble going back this far so I am looking for help. I have found a limited amount on her son whose name was Cellas Wells. He lived in Mississippi and was born around 1876. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Even if you do not have specific information, I could also use any suggestions as this is all very new to me. Please e-mail and put someting about Cellas in the subject. Thanks!

Re: Cellas Wells, Searching for Native American ancestry

Posted: 9 Jan 2006 4:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Have you tried looking in the Dawes Rolls for your family. They supposedly listed all the Cherokee people. I got the info once off of, Cyndislist.com, but passed it on to another researcher. You might try there or on USGENWEB for your area. My Grandmother's first husband was a Wells from TX. He was not only reportedly of Native American Blood, but looked it too. He was Elgie Lee Wells b 1915 s/o George A Wells and Eron A. Terry. George s/o Thomas J and Lavina Wells.
I have little info on them. The Terry family are listed on Rootsweb.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic