Search for content in message boards

Earliest Census Records?

Earliest Census Records?

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 9:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
When were the ealiest census records in Frederick County and where could I find the records?

Mike Moon

Re: Earliest Census Records?

ruthie (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2001 11:29PM GMT
To: Mike Moon.
Back in early 80s I purchased a book called "Bridge in Time" which contains the complete 1850 census of Fred. Cty. Md.
This is the only census from Fred. Cty that I have access to. If you have other names that might appear during 1850, I would be happy to do further free look-ups from this book for you as my time would allow. I know how hard it is to find ancestors long distance. Ruthie

Bill Viers (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 7:20PM GMT
Surnames: Viers, Handley, Bucey
Here are two sources I found for 1776 census:

Source: Maryland Records-Hundred, Frederick County 1776, pg. 201; Also, Frederick County One Hundred now included in Montgomery County 1776 Census of Maryland, pg. 79, by Bettie Sterling Carothers, Lutherville, Maryland.

BRUMBAUGH's MD Records...Census of 1776, part of Fredk. Co. that became Montgomery Co., MD:

You might contact both the Frederick County Hisorical Society and the Montgomery County Historical Society. They will tell you where this census might be available. Remember that they had a number of what were called the Hundreds during that time period. My specific interest was in the Rock Creek One Hundred census containing the Viers/Vears/Veirs/Veers surname.

The above Historical societies do have websites online and you can email them with your question.

Posted: 22 Dec 2002 5:11AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2003 5:08AM GMT
Surnames: Gilman, Gillman, Krieger, Crigger, Creager
Hello. I'm looking for Gilman's and Kriegers/Crigger/Creager of Frederick, Maryland. I have them in Wythe County, VA but records show they came from Frederick Cty. There was a German Settlement called Creggertown or some variation of that name. Names were George Krieger, father of Johann Michael, John, Benjamin. I understand John Krieger died about l86l.

Are there any Gilman's in the l850 census?

I will greatly appreciate any information you might have.

Warm Regards,

Mary Ann

coleen perdue (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 3:46AM GMT
1790 was the earliest Federal census. However, in Frederick County they did a census in 1776 (I think) to determine the males of military age. Do you have a LDS Family History Center close to you? they have been most helpful. You do not need to be member. They have all census on computer, Ancestry.com. Also do you live close to a large town with library that has genealogy room?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic