Search for content in message boards

Millers

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller
I recently have been able to break through my brick wall Tyre Miller b. 1806 Kentucky, by using DNA. I have identified Tyre's father as Abraham Miller who lived in Rockingham County, VA before Kentucky, finally ending up in Chatham, Illinois.

The DNA suggests a non-German origin. It is far more likely that Abraham was of English descent. As there are many Millers in Rockingham/Augusta County around 1775, it is difficult to determine which ones relate and which do not.

I am looking for living male Millers who have a firm paper trail to these counties. If this fits you or a close relative, please let me know. I would be interested in discussing the possibility of helping you into the DNA process with FTDNA.com .

I have found a living cousin Miller, living in Finland, whose oldest known ancestor was Jonathan Miller born 1778 in Lincoln County, Kentucky. The DNA has helped us identify a common ancestor within about 2 generations.

Re: Millers

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 3:23PM GMT
I have Millers back to 1800, believe they came from Maryland. One fought in the Civil War for the Union side, down to my father (actually b in Illinois) but his father and ggrandfather b in Augusta County, and d in Augusta County, near Craigsville.

Shirley
Loudon, Tennessee

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 6:49AM GMT
Thanks for your repsonse, Shirley. I am looking for Miller lines that were in Rockingham and Augusta Counties during the tight window of 1750-1780. Does this fit you ancestry?

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 11:23PM GMT
Can't seem to get past 1800.

Shirley

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 11:38PM GMT
I brefiely looked at your tree and your John Miller Death Index states his birthplace as Augusta County. What makes you think he is from Maryland.

Do you know any living male Millers?

RSM

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 9:05PM GMT
One of his son states that his parents born in Maryland, that would have been John and Elizabeth Steele Miller. Without looking back to pick up the details, it would have been Benjamin Ahis Miller or William Miller. Benjamin fought on the Union side. Yes I have a couple of brothers still living and more nephews. I have thought of DNA also, just haven't done anything with it. Maybe--------------
Shirley

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Miller, MILLER, Maupin, MUAPIN
Hello! I had given up on unraveling the MILLERs of Colonial Augusta County, I had not posted in years and rarely check Rootsweb anymore. But, I am a living Miller and I have the firm paper trail to Colonial Augusta. John MILLER patented 487 acres on Jackson's River in 1760, he sold 243 acres of it in 1770 because Robert & Margaret MILLER of Albemarle had already sold the other 244 acres of it in 1767 (Augusta DB 13, pp 293); 243 + 244 = 487. How Robert had the right to sell it I do not know, John and Robert were obviously related. Robert also patented 150 acres on Jackson's River in 1762 and the property description started "Beginning at two white oaks and a red oak corner to his own land..." I cannot find where he owned any other land! Robert's brother John was born January 1, 1750 so he was not patenting land at age ten. Anyway, Robert & Margaret (Maupin) MILLER were my five times great-grandparents. My MILLERs have been in Virginia & West Virginia ever since, but I am the end of our line because I have a daughter.
Please tell me more about the dna project, my wife and I are both RNs so drawing blood is not an issue. Thanks! Bob Miller, Powhatan, VA

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 2:41PM GMT
Hi Bob,

I just sent you a personal message regarding you post. Please let me know if you did not get it. It looks as though your Miller line married into the Maupin family. That is good for us because Maupin is a location name from Cheshire County England. Our DNA suggests that we are from the Peak District England since at least the late roman Period. I believe it is possible that our Miller line left Yorshire England for the US via Ireland, in accordance with a quaker movement. This is just speculation though. No basis in fact.

So if Margaret was a Maupin of England, it makes since that she would marry someone from the region of her her families homeland.
Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: Maupin and Miller
Actually, Margaret was NOT a Maupin of England. She was the daughter of Daniel Maupin and Margaret Via. Daniel's father Gabriel (who married Marie Hersent) was an immigrant from Dieppe, FRANCE, who arrived in Williamsburg, Virginia, around 1700. They were supposedly French Huguenots. It is possible that the English Maupins were originally Normans who crossed the English Channel with William the Conqueror, but Gabriel was not part of that event. I believe that Robert Miller, Sr. and his wife were both born in Ireland (unless he's a very different Robert Miller). Daniel and Margaret were my direct ancestors, too.

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 7:27PM GMT
Hello, it might be quicker if you emailed me at bob2miller@yahoo.com or called 804-787-3330. Thanks!
Bob
per page

Find a board about a specific topic