Search for content in message boards

1871 census

1871 census

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 1:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKinnon, McMillan, Lalonde
Can you tell me if there is a section of the 1871 census that covers the exact location where a family lived? For 1901, I was able to find the con and lot number which was a big help. I'm trying to find out if a McMillan family was already living in con 4 lot 37 in 1871, Too bad the original images of the 1871 are not online. The index online only has the head of the family. I need more to confirm if the family I found is the right one.
Posted: 23 Jun 2007 12:04AM GMT
In 1851, 37.4 Lochiel was the lot of Donald "the Beaver" M(a)cMillan and family. Donald's wife's surname was also M(a)cMillan. Mary was the daughter of Alexander the Bard M(a)cMillan of 10.8 Kenyon. Here is a link to the online "Butternuts and Maple Sugar" for this lot: http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=895931 There is a note on the previous page regarding the NW corner (10 acres) occupied by a different M(a)cMillan family circa 1860's (a Donald and wife Mary Fobert).

Following is the Donald "the Beaver" family enumerated in the 1851 Lochiel Twp census:

75 37 McMillan Donald M 47 M Canada Free Church Farmer
75 38 McMillan Mary F 47 M Canada Free Church
75 39 McMillan John M 25 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 40 McMillan Donald M 19 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 41 McMillan Mary F 21 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 42 McMillan Flora F 17 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 43 McMillan Margery F 15 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 44 McMillan Peter M 13 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 45 McMillan Hugh M 11 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 46 McMillan Angus M 8 S Canada Free Church Labourer
75 47 McMillan Archy M 5 S Canada Free Church Labourer

Re: 1871 census

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 2:12PM GMT
Thank you very much. This is the McMillan family I was looking for. And a special thank you for the name Fobert. Her name was unreadable on the documents I was able to find on her daughter Charlotte, my ancestor.

I will read the Butternuts and Maple Sugar section that applies to the Mac/McMillan. You've help with a very old brickwall.
Posted: 23 Jun 2007 4:12PM GMT
I just tried the link that I gave your for "Butternuts and Maple Sugar", and it does not point to you to the correct page. Once the page comes up.. you will need to key in page 278 and then enter. At the bottom of page 278 you find some information on your M(a)cMillan's, incl. a mention of your Charlotte.

Posted: 26 Jun 2007 2:15AM GMT
Thank you, I had read some of the pages, but I never thought that Charlotte and her siblings would be named also. It confirms information I found before. This book is a great source.
Joanne ;-)
Posted: 10 Jul 2007 2:29AM GMT
I found a death record for Duncan, a brother to your Charlotte and the husband of Mary McMillan. See last name on attached list. Duncan may have been buried at St. Alexander of Lochiel RC Church on April 29, 1905.
Attachments:

Re: Duncan McMillan's death certificat

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 2:19PM GMT
Cleaning up my email box, I wasn't sure if I ever thanked you for Duncan's death certificat. Since then I've been able to fill in a lot of blanks in my database. Sharing this was very helpful, thank you

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 7:33AM GMT
Hello,

Margery MacMillan is my great grandmother. Her father was Donald the Beaver. I have a little info. on her--burial site . . . Her daughter, Mary Margaret, married and moved to Halifax then Boston. Her daughter is my mother. Please contact me a janethenry1@hotmail.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic