Search for content in message boards

St. Papheal's Church Glengarry

St. Papheal's Church Glengarry

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett Trombley Clark
Does anyone know if records were kept in the 1840s? I am looking for a marriage record for Francis Bennett and Catherine trombley. He was much older than her. From my grandmother's bible it says they were married in 1845. I am not sure how correct that is. Francis and Catherine moved to Massena NY. He lived until 1901 - he was 111 years old. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: St. Papheal's Church Glengarry

Posted: 1 Aug 2007 2:13AM GMT
Hi

There's a baptism on May 5 1846 for Mary Ann Bennet born 3 May 1846, daughter of Francis Bennet and Catherine Tremble of Charlottenburg. Present were Ignas Tremble and Mary Pilon. John MacDonald was the priest (this is from St. Raphael's the first 50 years by Duncan MacDonald). I couldn't find a marriage but I'll have a look in St. Finnan's for you.

Re: St. Rapheal's Church Glengarry

Posted: 1 Aug 2007 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett Trombley Clark
Oh Thank you so much! That is surely them - Mary Ann married Lewis Clark (My gggrandfather)somewhere in NY I believe. They married after the Civil War. Lewis was supposedly born in Louisville NY around 1839.

Francis Bennett and Catherine supposedly had 10 children. As I said he died when he was 111. There was a big article in the Massena Newspapers in 1901. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pam

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 12:50AM GMT
There is an entry in St. Raphael's The First 50 years for a possible marriage for Francis and Catherine. Firstly one has to understand that the priest likely spoke only Gaelic and many people couldn't write their names so he entered them as he thought they should be, then they had to be translated into English 100 years later for publication. In this case the marriage is between a Francis Bissonette and Catherine Tremble on 28 Apr 1845. He was the son of Francis Bisonette and the deceased Mary Ann Eubert and the widower of Mary Goodson. She the d/o of Ignas (likely Ignace) Tremble and the deceased Elizabeth Marcion, both her father and brother Leo attended and neither could write. There was a daughter Catherine b 8 Jul 1850 and a son Francis b 26 Jul 1853. Their address was Lot 24, So. Side Raisin River, Charlottenburgh Twp., Glengarry Co. Pete

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 1:06AM GMT
Hi

I found a marriage between Francis Bennet son of Frances Bennet and Mariann Rousseault of 9th conc Charlottenburg and Mary Goodsel also of 9 conc Charlottenburn in St. Finnan's on 31 Oct 1837. This just about ties the Bisonette and Bennet names. Francis Sr was a day labourer. Hope this helps you

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett Rousseau Trombley Clark
Thank you so much. It sounds as if it is them! Would you happen to know if there were any children between Francis and his first wife Mary Goodson?

I appreciate your help.

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 2:57AM GMT
Thank you so much. With your help I can further my line. Does Conc mean congregation? By chance, would you know what the Cedars are in Coteau Qu.? Francis was born there and confirmed at The Cedars at Coteau according to his obituary in the Massena Observer.

Again, thank you so much
Pam

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 3:25AM GMT
Pam, Conc. means Concession. The raw countryside in each of the townships in Glengarry County were surveyed and divided into about 9 Concessions and then into 200 acre lots, which were given firstly to the United Empire Loyalists who had fought with the British in the Revolutionary war and left for Canada. As to Cedars, the the parish of St. Joseph of Soulanges was founded in Les Cedres, Soulanges County, QC in 1752. This is located in Soulanges County, QC just across the provincial border from Glengarry County, ON. I have a marriage book for Soulanges and if you'd like any look ups just let me know. Pete

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 3:41AM GMT
Francis Bennett was born in Coteau Qu. His parents were Francis Bennett and Mary Ann Rousseau. Francis was born in 1790, I am assuming the marriage would have taken place before that. Would there be any records dating back that far?

Francis was much older than Catherine Trombley. I found them in a census for Brasher NY. It shows that he is 33 years older than her! But according to your research he had a previous wife. He was long-lived, he died in 1901 at the age of 111. What a feat! I appreciate any info you can send my way. Genealogy is just so interesting!

Posted: 2 Aug 2007 5:17AM GMT
Pam, In Soulanges County, QC there were Catholic churches at Coteau-du-Lac 1883; Coteau Landing 1958; Coteau Station 1895, and Les Cedres 1752 plus others, there is also a village of Les Coteaux. I've checked for marriages in the three parishes and haven't found a Bennett/Rousseau or anything similar. I don't have baptismal records for this county, so you might want to try the Soulanges board which is listed under Quebec, Monteregie. I'll check other sources a bit further and get back to you in the next couple of days. Pete
per page

Find a board about a specific topic