Search for content in message boards

CAMPBELL FAMILY

CAMPBELL FAMILY

Posted: 10 Aug 2007 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CAMPBELL
Duncan and Janet Campbell came to Martintown in 1802, their address was 8th Concession, Charlottenburg near Martintown. They had 9 children Katherine, Nancy, Archibald, Elizabeth, Colin, John, James, Peter and Duncan.
James was born in 1805 in Martintown. The family then moved to SandPoint, McNab Township some 19 years later leaving Campbell relatives behind.
James and his wife Margaret came back to the Campbell Homestead to look after elderly relatives (Aunt Jane or Jean and Uncle Duncan). James and Margaret had 3 children while there a son William who died in infancy and twins Archibald and Isabella. Anyone with information on this Campbell please write to me, I have quite a bit of information on Major Duncan and Janet Campbell Family and will gladly share. Thank You.

Maureen

Re: CAMPBELL FAMILY

Posted: 4 Nov 2007 7:10PM GMT
Hello there,
Am looking for info on Augusta Abigail Campbell b. approx. 1775 and married to Godfrey Myers.Have only a burial date on her of Apr. 22, 1829 and marriage date of Jan 21, 1799 in Williamstown. Her father was apparently, James Campbell, UE and mother Abigail ? Any info greatly appreciated.
Kathy Helmer.

Posted: 5 Nov 2007 12:12AM GMT
Hi Kathy:

Sorry but I do not have any information the the Campbell Family you mentioned. If I come across anything I will send it to you.

Maureen

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 12:38AM GMT
Maureen: I am descended from Archibald. Do you have any information on the two oldest children - Ann/Nancy b. abt 1800 in Scotland and Peter b. 1803 in Charlottenburg? Did they farm when they were in Charlottenburg. I think that Old Duncan served in the war of 1812 - any info about that? Lots more questions.
Janetta

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 2:05AM GMT
This is our family line. My GGgrandfather was Colin (the son of Major Duncan and his wife Janet. My Ggrandfather (Colin's son) Duncan Campbell settled in Paradise Valley area of Alberta after returning to Canada from Cavalier County in North Dakota in 1898 (where many of his children from first wife Jane were born). His wife Jane Griffiths died in 1900 and is buried in Winnipeg. My own grandfather Duncan Campbell left the Alberta homestead in 1932, settling in Kamloops,BC (where I was born as well as my Uncle Duncan). My Uncle Duncan has been gathering info on our family life on the Alberta homestead and has some info on Colin and his wife Mary Storie. We know Major Duncan is buried in Arnprior with his wife Janet, however we don't know much more about him or his family line. We are told he came from Killin Scotland, however we aren't sure if he was born there too? The info my uncle has gotten is from the grand daughter of one of Colin's brother's (William, I believe). We know they went to McNab county 1821/22. My grandfather Duncan was born in Thorne, Quebec in 1857. My uncle Duncan has his info on CAMPBELL FAMILY HEADING WEST on ancestry.com site. We know Major Duncan and Janet were both born in Scotland but have been trying to find out more. We are told they settled in Martintown in 1802 where most of their 9 children were born.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 3:36PM GMT
I have information on this family in NcNab Twp. Duncan's son John aquired the farm next to his and that farm is still in possesion of a fifth generation descendant.

I would like to know more about the family's time in Glengarry and then work backward (when/where he came from, etc.) Why is he referred to as "Major"? (accounts I've read only refer to him as being "an old soldier")

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 8:30AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2013 9:17AM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Griffith, Storie, Ward
I think it is possible Duncan was called "old soldier" from his time in Scotland. Britain also wanted soldiers to be near the American lines because of all the unrest during years prior to War 1812. The records I've found this year on military lists for War 1812 does show a Duncan Campbell recruiting, later a corporal in charge of soldiers with the Glengarry Light Infantry. This link is very informative. http://www.britannia.com/celtic/scotland/scot18a.html
http://www.britannia.com/celtic/scotland/scot18b.html
Here's 1812 War-Glengarry Light Infantry Military list from 1812 to 1816
http://www.niagarahistorical.museum/media/15.GlengarryFencib...

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 1:08PM GMT
Thanks for those links: some good background history there.

I've seen the Glengarry Militia list somewhere before. I suppose my next step is to find out if there are any detailed papers on who these men were specifically. I can't assume that this is my Duncan Campbell: the name appears in a number of companies, and my research has already pointed out that there is/was more than one Duncan Campbell in the Glengarry area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic