Search for content in message boards

Finlan of Greenfield, Glengarry County, Ontario

Finlan of Greenfield, Glengarry County, Ontario

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 12:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FINLAN
I am beginning my search for our family tree and this is a new subject area to me.

I am seeking information on the FINLAN family from Greenfield. My grandfather, Donald (Danny) Angus FINLAN was born in Greenfield and the family moved to Markstay (Nippissing region.

I believe the FINLAN's originally came from County Wexford in Ireland.

I would like to know if anyone has information of the FINLANs from Greenfield and where I could go to check for records ofSt. Catherine of Sienna Parish (Roman Catholic) Greenfield or St. Finnans (Roman Catholic ) Parish, Alexandria.

Does someone have some research on the appox 1500 Irish families who settled in Glengarry in the 1800'S?

Thanks in advance
Donald (Dan) ANTHONY

Re: Finlan of Greenfield, Glengarry County, Ontario

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Finlan
Dan,
There are a number of Donald Finlans in Nippissing in the 1901 census. Have you got any idea of wife? birth date?
Bette

Posted: 23 Aug 2007 10:40AM GMT
Surnames: FINLAN
Good morning Bette,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Fortunately, another member saw the subject heading and was able to provide great details for me including a pedegree chart.

Cheers Dan

Posted: 23 Aug 2007 10:58PM GMT
In St. Catherine of Sienna Parish there is the following:

Donald Finlan Burial S-(A) p-312 18-Jan-1916 who died on 16th inst, aged 77 years, present Patrick Rahal, Miles Finlan, SAJR McDonald, RA MacDonald.

He was married to a Catherine Janet Campbell and there are a number of births recorded also.

Also listed under Finlan are Andre, Archibald, Archie, Archie J., Cassie, Florence Isabel, Hugh, Hugh Joseph, James, Janet, Janet Ann, Jennie, John Ezrel, John Lawrence, Katie, Maggie, Margaret, margarite, Mary, Mary Ellen, Mary Eva, Patrick, Sarah and William.

Let me know if you want info on any of the above.

There are also a number of recordings in St. Finnan's Church including the marriage of Donald and Catherine Janet 24 Sept 1894 he being the son of John Finlan and Mary MacDermid of Lot 31 5th Kenyon.

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 2:57PM GMT
Anastasia Lacy d. Sept. 15, 1850, age 103 @ Kenyon 1C N27 as in the Diary seems earliest ancestor.

The publication Markstay Memories may be of interest altho copies seem scarce.

Also the Rahal/Rahil surname mentioned with Finlans may be a variant spelling of Reilly. Other spellings appear as Reilley, Rohelly, Royly...

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Finlan MacDonell
While we are on the subject of Finlans, I am looking for a marriage between Margaret MacDonell, daughter of Archibald Du MacDonell, and Mary Bruse of Lot 34, 1st of Kenyon to William Finlan, son of William Finlan and Anastasia Lacey of Lot 27, 1st of Kenyon. Possibly around 1826/27. Thanks, Garry

Posted: 10 Sep 2007 10:25AM GMT
Thank you for the information! Is there any way from the church records that I can try to establish links back to Ireland? either by travel or place of birth? Thanks in advance. Is there a process in place with the church where I can review the records?

Donald (Dan) Anthony

Posted: 10 Sep 2007 9:12PM GMT
From what I gave you I would check out the family Lot and obtain an abstract. Contact as follows:

Land Registry Office
63 Kenyon St W, Alexandria Tel 613-525-1315 Fax 613-525-0509
Ask for an abstact on Lot 31 in the 5th of Kenyon and look for any document relating to your people like land grant, bill and sale, last will etc etc. Then order copies of all these docs for more detailed info.

Your Finlans were in St. Catherine's records as well as St. Finnan's so you should go there and try to obtain a birth or marriage record which will show parents names as well as maybe where they came from.

So far we show your Donald 1839-1916 son of John Finlan and Mary MacDermid (McDermot) and John's father as William and his mother as Margaret MacDonald. It may be that William was your first settler from Ireland.

There is only one mention of Ireland and it is for a Mrs. James Finlan from Wexford Ireland but not necessarily your Finlan's.

No point in going to Ireland until you have all your homework done here first.

Good hunting.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Finlan
Hello I own a farm that was owned by James Finlan in 1851, the original or likely second home is still on the property. We believe it is likely from mid to late 1800's.

To know more send email to greg.odonnell@leasecocommercial.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic