Search for content in message boards

poplar midwives - st john the devine nuns

poplar midwives - st john the devine nuns

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 11:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2004 1:34PM GMT
does any body have any infomation about the location of the house run by the nursing sisters of st john the devine who provided district nursing and midwifery sisters/training to the docklands area from1870's to 1960's.

Thanks

Re: poplar midwives - st john the devine nuns

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 12:43PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2004 10:57PM GMT
Hi Marion

You might find this site interesting
-Information Leaflet No 9
HISTORY OF NURSING - MAJOR SOURCES IN
THE LONDON METROPOLITAN ARCHIVES

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/leisure_heritage/libraries_ar...

St John’s House (H1/ST/SJ)
An Anglican Nursing Sisterhood founded in 1848, it provided nurses to care for the sick in their
own homes. It took over the nursing of King’s College Hospital in 1856 and of Charing Cross
Hospital in 1866. St John’s House Maternity Home opened at Cheyne Walk, Chelsea in 1877
and moved to Queen Anne Terrace, Battersea in 1883. In the same year a bitter dispute over
nursing arrangements at King’s College Hospital led to the resignation of all the sisters and most
of the nurses who then formed the Community of the Nursing Sisters of St John the Divine. St
John’s House suffered increasingly from difficulties of recruitment and withdrew from many of its
commitments. In 1920 it was taken over by St Thomas’ Hospital and became a centre for nurses
trained at St Thomas’ Hospital who wished to take up private nursing. The home, no.12 Queen
Square, Bloomsbury, by then known as St John’s and St Thomas’s House, closed during the
Second World War, though the organisation continued to be run from the Matron’s Office at St
Thomas’ Hospital until 1964. Records include minutes 1847-1920, annual reports 1850-1918,
rules and regulations, Lady Superintendent’s reports and diaries 1849-1885, correspondence
1849-1908, subscription books 1852-1913, and a baptism register for the Battersea Maternity
Home 1886-1892.
For an album containing correspondence 1854-1861 relating to nurses from St John’s House
who accompanied Florence Nightingale to Scutari during the Crimean War see the Nightingale
Collection (H1/ST/NC3/SU1-57). The Nightingale Collection also includes letters from Florence
Nightingale to Mary Jones, Lady Superintendent of St John’s House, 1860-1870
(H1/ST/NC1/60/2- H1/ST/NC1/70/5).

Above is just a section from pg 8.

Regards
Tania

j matthews (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2004 7:18AM GMT
The house of the Nursing Sisters of St John Divine was in Lodore Street Poplar in 1963. There was another house the other side of the river in Deptford & the Mother House was in Battle, I think.

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 9:33AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2004 1:34PM GMT
thanks to those who have replied so far

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 6:41PM GMT
I think these are the basis for Jennifer Worth's book, Call the Midwife (& sequels).

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 9:27PM GMT
Just seen your message and I'm sure its the same house under a pseudonym in the book 'Call the midwife' by Jane Worth.
I've just finished reading her trilogy of books about her life as a midwife living in this convent in the 1950's where she was a midwife living in the Nun's house

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2012 7:50AM GMT
Hi Marion and all, just found your message, after the interest in the new series on BBC1, following the book by Jennifer Worth.
I am slightly confused, as I had 2 children delivered by nuns and the midwives from St John the divine, and I am sure that they were based in STAINSBY ROAD Poplar, my children were born in 1964 and 1965 respectively in Cotall St and attended by the midwives and the nuns, and also with one the local doctor Dr Godfrey.
Someone mentioned Lodore st?, but this was ST FRIDESWIDE and away from Stainsby road, the book says Leyland St, so I am really confused, Iused to walk to the ante natel from my home which was about 5/10 minutes away.
Can anyone help ?
Jean

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 9:49PM GMT
The midwifery House was definitely in Lodore street Poplar.I did my Part 2 midwifery training there in 1975.
The order came from Hastings. I spent my first xmas in London delivering babies .The Series has brought all those memories back to me.

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 4:29PM GMT
Hi there,
thanks for your posting re the midwives St John the Divine, I still am sure that the clinic etc was at the bottom of Stainsby Road Poplar, I used to walk it within 5 minutes, Lodore St may have been the convent where the nurses and nuns lived called St Fridewides,
I have asked several older people where the nurses were and all have said Stainsby Road without hesitation, so I am still confused, I have a picture of Nurse Ashton from 1964 ouside my flat on her bike, were you there at this time.
Jean

Posted: 17 Jan 2012 1:21AM GMT
I was with them in 1974 and they definitely in LOdore Street.I spent my first year in England with them SR Monica was in charge.
S
per page

Find a board about a specific topic