Search for content in message boards

JOHN A. CARLISLE FAMILY

JOHN A. CARLISLE FAMILY

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 8:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARLISLE, DOBBS, SMITH, PRUETT, TULLOS, LOVELL
This is what I have: John A. Carlisle, b. Abt. 1822, Lawrence Co., MS, married Dec. 31, 1848, Union Co., AR, Narcissa (Mary Jane) Dobbs, b. Abt. 1832 MS. ---
1860 LA Census, family in Claiborne Parish w/children: E. (Elizabeth), age 4; L. (Lucinda), age 8; and E. (probably Louisa E.), age 1. ---
Jan. 19, 1868, Rapides Parish, Lucinda Carlile (sp) married Melton W. Smith, (my maternal g-grandparents), John A. Carlile (sp), Bondsman. ---
1870 LA Census, family in Rapides Parish: John A. Carlise (sp); Narcissa; Elizabeth, age 14, Louisa E., age 11; Nancy A., age 9; and William, age 1---one door between them and Melton & Lucinda Smith w/child, Mary Fannie, age 1. ---
Aug. 22, 1878, Nancy A. Carlisle married John J. Pruett, Grant Parish, LA. ---
Oct. 9, 1879, Louisa E. Carlisle married Henry Tullos, Grant Parish, LA. ---
1880 LA Census, Grant Parish: John Carlisle and Mary, no
children. (Elizabeth??/William??)- Listed in their HH as BroL and SisL are my paternal grandfather, Gid Lovell and his sister, Priss (Priscilla). ---
Info about Oak Grove Baptist Church, 1883-1983, lists J. A. Carlisle and N.M.J. Carlisle as Charter Members #22 and #23.
---Would like to correspond/exchange info with anyone who can shed more light on these Carlisle relatives.
Thanks,
R. L. Lunceford

Re: JOHN A. CARLISLE FAMILY

Posted: 14 Apr 2010 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Carlisle, Brister
In the 1880 census on the same page as John A. Carlisle is his daughter Elizabeth who is married to Floyd B. Brister. Floyd and Elizabeth are my GG Grandparents on my mom's side. Floyd and Elizabeth had 5 children,Jesse E. born June 14,1878, John T. born Nov. 1890, Louiza born Aug. 1884,and Nancy born Nov. 1890, and my Great Grandfather Floyd Milton Brister born 1894. Floyd Milton used his Middle name in everyday life. Milton married Polly Terrell and had 8 children. I have a couple of pictures of an older Elizabeth and Floyd B. if you are interested. Let me know

Posted: 16 May 2010 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: CARLISLE, BRISTER, PRUETT
I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. A cousin just copied and pasted your reply in an email to me. Thanks for answering my query. I'm happy to hear from you! I "lost" Elizabeth after the 1870 census. Just last Friday, I obtained a copy of a deed where Narcissa and daughters E. M. and Nancy, joined by their husbands, F. B. Brister and J. J. Pruett, sold property to H. C. Tullos. Only then did I know that Elizabeth had married Floyd B. Brister and then I then found them in the 1880 and 1900 Census Records. I'm interested in corresponding with you about our Carlisle ancestors, sharing information, and I would love to have a copy of the pictures you have of Elizabeth and F. B. Please email me at RLLUNCEFORD@ATT.NET
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Rebecca Lovell Lunceford

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 7:55PM GMT
This is the information I have gathered on Elizabeth M. Carlisle and Floyd B. Brister. I would appreciate any help you can give me in filling in blanks or correcting errors I may have made:
ELIZABETH M. [MATHILDA / JENNIE] CARLISLE, b. July, 1856 LA - d. Aft. 1930 LA
M. Abt. 1877
FLOYD B. BRISTER, b. July 18,1859/60 MS – d. April 10,1950, Flora, Natchitoches,LA
(Son of Samuel Brister and Elizabeth [Betsy] Chandler)
Buried: Oak Grove Cemetery, Grant Parish, LA
Census: 1860, CLAIBORNE PARISH, LA: Elizabeth with father, John A. Carlisle.
Census: 1870, RAPIDES PARISH, LA: Elizabeth with father, John A. Carlisle.
Census: 1880, GRANT PARISH, LA: HH#153/153: Brister, Floyd, 21, Farmer; Elizabeth, 25, wife; Jesse, 2, Son; Infant, 7/12, Son.
Church Membership: 1883, September: F. B. Brister and Elizabeth Brister are listed as Charter Members #19 and #20 of Oak Grove Baptist Church. (His Parents, Samuel Brister, #13 and Elizabeth Brister, #14. Her Parents, J. A. Carlisle, #22 and N. M. J. Carlisle, #23.)
Land Sale: 1899, Sept. 20, Louisiana, Grant Parish: E. M. Brister and F. B. Brister are cited on a deed with Narcissa Carlisle and N. A. Pruett and J. J. Pruett in the sale of 80 acres (+/-) to H. C. Tullos for $80.
Census: 1900, GRANT PARISH, LA: Ward 2, June 1900, HH#360/361:
Brister, Floyd B., Head,WM, July 1851, (48) M23 MS;
Elizabeth, wife, WF, July 1857 (42) M23 (5-5) LA MS MS;
Jesse E., son, WM, Jan 1879 (21),
John T., son, WM, Nov. 1880 (19);
Louiza, Dau, WF, Aug 1884 (15);
Nancy, Dau, WF, Nov. 1890 (9);
Floyd M.(Milton), son, WM, Feb. 1894 (6);
Barton, George, Boarder, WM Mar 1888 (12).
Census: 1920, WEST CARROLL PARISH, LA: Ward 2, HH# 2/4:
Brister, F. B., Head, R, WM, 60, M, MS;
Matilda, wife, WF, 63, M, LA;
Terrell, Sallie, Boarder, WF, 17, S, LA.
Children of Elizabeth M. Carlisle and Floyd Brister:
(1) Jesse E. Brister, b. Jan. 1879 LA (June 14, 1878) – d. Dec. 12, 1953, Natchitoches Parish, LA
M. Raney/Rena Russell
Child of Jesse E. Brister and Raney/Rena Russell:
1. Hattie Mathilda Brister, b. 1915 LA – d. April 1, 1924, Alora, Natchitoches Parish, LA
(2) John T. Brister, b. Nov. 1880 LA
(3) Louisa Ellen Brister, b. Aug. 1884 LA – Dec. 6, 1929, DeRidder, Beauregard Parish, LA
M. Lonnie L. Chambers, b. 1882 – Dec. 19, 1929, DeRidder, Beauregard Parish, LA
(4) Nancy Brister, b. Nov. 1890 LA
(5) Floyd Milton Brister, b. Feb.8, 1894 LA – d. April 12, 1946, Pineville, Rapides Parish, LA
M. June 28, 1911, LA
Denore Lee “Pollie” Terrell, b. Oct. 6, 1894 LA – d. Dec. 8, 1967
Census: 1920, WEST CARROLL PARISH, LA: Ward 2, HH#37/39:
Brister, Milton, Head, R, WM, 25, M, LA, Laborer/Wagon Factory;
Polly, wife, WF, 25, M, LA;
Marie, Dau, WF, 7, S, LA;
Lissie, Dau, WF, 3, S;
Terrell, Wesley, Boarder, WM, 17, S, LA.
Children of Floyd Milton Brister and Pollie Terrell: (Eight Children)
1. Martha Marie Brister, b. Jan 22, 1913 (by: Reida Good)
2. Lissie Brister, b. 1917
3. M. P. Brister, b. 1923 ARK (by: misty_blue_10111)

I'm interested in the pictures of an older Elizabeth and Floyd B., if your offer still stands.
Please let me know.
Thanks very much,
Rebecca Lovell Lunceford
rllnceford@att.net

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 1:52PM GMT
My Grand Uncle is Johnny Carlisle, of Bogalusa, Louisiana, with ancestors in Mississippi. I am wondering if we are related. Susan

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: CARLISLE
Hello Susan,
I don't have a Johnny Carlisle from Bogolusa, LA in my records. Do you know who are his ancestors in MS and where in MS they may have been located? Too little info to know if we are related.

My Carlisle ancestors, Thomas Carlisle, with sons John B. and James Carlisle and their families, came from NC/GA to Lawrence Co., MS before 1820 and settled there. Thomas and son James died in Lawrence Co. in the 1840's. John B. died there in the 1860's. Some of their descendants scattered to other counties in MS, some went to LA, some to AR, some to TX.

I have posted to this message board info on my direct ancestor, John A. Carlisle, (son of John B. Carlisle) and his family in Grant Parish.
John A. left Lawrence Co., MS for LA in the 1840's with brothers, Thomas M., William and James M. Carlisle. Thomas M. and his family settled in Bienville Parish, LA. William and family, James M. and wife, and John A. settled for a while in Claiborne Parish, LA. James M. and wife, Huldah Prestridge, died there (or maybe in Union Co., AR) in about 1859. In the early 1860's, William, wife Sarah, and family moved to Angelina Co., TX; John A., wife Narcissa, and family moved to Rapides Parish, LA, where they are recorded in 1870, then they moved into Grant Parish, LA.

This may not tie in with your Carlisle ancestors at all. Let me know if anything here "rings a bell" and we'll try to investigate further whether or not we might be related.

Best wishes in your search,
Rebecca Lovell Lunceford
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions