Search for content in message boards

BANNISTER FAMILY IN IRELAND

BANNISTER FAMILY IN IRELAND

Posted: 2 Aug 2005 10:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bannister, Anderson, Gray and Ross
I am researching the Bannister connection in Lurgan, Co. Armagh (my mother was Rose Lily McConnell Bannister). Are there any descendants of her half brothers and sisters out there? Rosemary

Re: BANNISTER FAMILY IN IRELAND

Alison Mason (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2005 1:02PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2006 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: Bannister, Ross, Butler, O'Shea
Hello, I am looking for Bannisters in Ireland too. My Ross, Bannister, Butler, and O'Shea families are all related to each other and they all possibly came from Ireland, but some of them moved to the UK.

Rosemary McCormack (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2005 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Bannister, Anderson, Cully
Thanks for your message. My grandfather was James Bannister, born in Lurgan Co. Armagh in 1857. My gr. grandmother was Elizabeth Ross, daughter of James Ross, born in Ballymena, Co. Antrim in 1858. I have some further information on these people. Do you think we may be connected? Rosemary

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Bannister, O'Shea, Butler, Mason
Hello, I do not know if we were connected. My O'Shea family currently have relatives in Cork in Ireland. So far as I know, my great great grandfather George Ross was born in Ireland, my great grandparents (George Ross's son) Albert Ross and Naomi Butler born 1880/1881 possibly born in Ireland or UK, they both married in Cheltenham in the UK in 1903. Their children all born in Cheltenham in the UK. Alice Ross born 1899 married Jim O'Shea of similar age who was from Ireland, Albert Ross born 1904 married into the Bannisters, (my grandmother) Violet Ross born 1915 married into the Masons in Herefordshire in the UK, Charles Ross born 1911 died as an infant he drowned saving he friends life, and Lilly Ross I do not know who she had married to, but she went to live in Canada. My great great uncle Alfred Ross a possible a brother or cousin to George Ross. Alfred Ross married a Mary Omeah Butler a sister or cousin to Naomi Ross. They had a daughter also called Mary Omeah Ross born in 1909 in Cheltenham in the UK. All of my family are Catholics if this helps!

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Bannister
I just wanted to add that there were a Frank Bannister born 1899 who married a Margaret (known as Maggie) born 1904. Alfred Bannister born 1927. M. Freda Bannister born 1905. Dill Bannister who died this year. There were also a Annie Bannister, I think. There are more, but I am still searching for them at present. I hope these details helps!

Rosemary McCormack (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2005 10:28AM GMT
Surnames: Bannister, Anderson, Ross, Cully, McConnell
My Ross family were all Presbyterian or Church of Ireland, so no connection there. So far as I know all the Bannisters were Church of Ireland, but you never know! I don't recognise any of the names you mention. James, John, William and David seem to predominate with men and Margaret, Alice, Dorothy in the women. If I find out any more I will let you know. Did your Bannisters live in Belfast? There were two different Bannisters there, one I know was R.C. Rosemary

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Bannister, Butler, O'Shea, Mason
Hello, yes you are probably right! We may not be connected. The Bannisters in my family could have been born in Belfast, as I found a very good match for one of my relatives called Alfred Ross who lived in Co. Antrim, Belfast during 1860s to 1880s. I don't have very much detail on Ireland or Northen Ireland of where my relatives were from. My Irish relatives came to the UK to live, but I do not know when they came. I think they may of came in 1880s or later. Over here in Cheltenham in the UK, so far as I know in about 1899 (the date could be further back) my family of Butlers, Rosses, Bannisters, and O'Sheas seem to have lived near each other over the years and in 1934 their houses/Cottages were knocked down due to government reducing poverty in Cheltenham. So the Butlers, Bannisters, O'Sheas, and Rosses all moved onto Malvern here in the UK to live. On the way the Rosses married into the Masons who are from Herefordshire near Malvern. It is hard to know which are Irish Catholics and which are British Catholics in my family. I have had difficulty in finding Catholic ancestors. I had tried many places and the Internet. My family are not very talkative on Ireland. Anyway thank you very much for your replies and I wish you all the luck with your family history searching.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic